British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Live music in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/live-music-abu-dhabi-646029/)

population Dec 24th 2009 11:49 am

Live music in Abu Dhabi

Hi all

Myself and the wife might be moving to Abu Dhabi in August to teach English for a couple of years and was wondering about live music there.

Essentially I am a semi professsional musician (vocalist/guitarist) doing covers in pubs/nightclubs/private functions etc. I have played in a band here in Dublin for years and also play solo doing acoustic stuff. It has always been a nice sideline to supplement my income and also it is just something I enjoy doing.

Are there any pubs in abu dhabi that have live bands/musicians on? I would assume some of the Irish themed pubs would but I just don't know for sure. Anytime I look it up all I find out is information about DJ's and dance clubs etc.

Any info greatly appreciated:)

Arcadia Dec 26th 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Live music in Abu Dhabi

Theres live Music is The Crowne Plaza Hotel most nights and a lot of the regulars are Irish..this is were they have the St Patricks day ball and most of the Irish events.

There is also Pj o reilleys but I think this mostly DJ music.

If you look at the Irish society in Abu Dhabi website you will see loads of pictures from past events in the crown plaza.

Madam Medusa Dec 26th 2009 4:15 pm

i think there are a quite a few places with live music...heroes for sure, but i've forgotten where that is, although it was a filipiina band...the ad crowd should be able to fill you in more...

MM, xx

commander Dec 27th 2009 4:25 am

PJ's used to have a band playing...

hawkhead Dec 27th 2009 5:46 am

You don't mention what type of music but if it's traditional Irish you could try contacting this lot: http://www.inis-oirr.com/

population Dec 28th 2009 9:54 pm

Cheers to all for the replies

Just to elaborate for Hawkwind on the kind of music I play. Well basically I play anything and everything depending on the crowd. Ranges from The Beatles, Stones, Kinks through to more modern stuff like The Killers, U2, Snow patrol etc etc. I do a few Irish tunes depending on the crowd and as I play harmonica also I will do a few Neil Young/Bob Dylan tunes again depending on the crowd.

It is interesting to see you mention gigs in hotels like The Crowne Plaza, as I actually play once a month in The Hilton and The Marriot hotel here in Dublin so I am used to that kind of gig as well

This is actually a vid of me playing in The Hilton last summer. Forgive the darkness and the sideways nature of the clip as well:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIj0XuMfQY

Meow Dec 29th 2009 9:31 am

Originally Posted by population (Post 8195688)
Hi all

Myself and the wife might be moving to Abu Dhabi in August to teach English for a couple of years and was wondering about live music there.

Essentially I am a semi professsional musician (vocalist/guitarist) doing covers in pubs/nightclubs/private functions etc. I have played in a band here in Dublin for years and also play solo doing acoustic stuff. It has always been a nice sideline to supplement my income and also it is just something I enjoy doing.

Are there any pubs in abu dhabi that have live bands/musicians on? I would assume some of the Irish themed pubs would but I just don't know for sure. Anytime I look it up all I find out is information about DJ's and dance clubs etc.

Any info greatly appreciated:)

You teach English and start a sentence with 'myself and the wife'? Not to mention the other errors.

-

population Dec 29th 2009 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8203106)
You teach English and start a sentence with 'myself and the wife'? Not to mention the other errors.

-

Meow.....

This cat has claws:D

FWIW there are entire lessons in the EFL program on how to write informal emails and posts. Slang/elipsis/collocations etc. This would be a model example. Were I to write you a formal letter, the content would be rather different

Meow Dec 29th 2009 10:03 am

Originally Posted by population (Post 8203163)
Meow.....

This cat has claws:D

FWIW there are entire lessons in the EFL program on how to write informal emails and posts. Slang/elipsis/collocations etc. This would be a model example. Were I to write you a formal letter, the content would be rather different

Read your first sentence again. It's awful, as well as ungrammatical and incorrect, even in informal use.

-

Meow Dec 29th 2009 10:08 am

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2...marpolice2.jpg

population Dec 29th 2009 10:46 am

Really not looking to get into an internet tit for tat here, and my query is solely on the live music scene in Abu Dhabi. I am posting on an internet forum. I am well aware that my opening salvo is grammatically incorrect. This forum is informal, therefore I am just rattling off in an informal fashion. As mentioned above, were I to write to you in a formal letter, the content would be very different.

commander Dec 29th 2009 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8203106)

-

**** me...since you got that gig with the national, you really are up your own arse...:D

Patsy Stoned Dec 29th 2009 4:49 pm

I think that anybody who entertains in the UAE..singing or Dj'ing etc need to be licensed by the municipality. A friend of mine was over and we wanted to do an informal "jam session" at a club but he couldn't because of the above.

I do know musicians here who work full time at "day jobs" and work evenings at clubs/ pubs etc, but the venue needs to license them

population Jan 4th 2010 11:31 pm

That is great info everyone.

Millhouse Jan 5th 2010 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8203172)
Read your first sentence again. It's awful, as well as ungrammatical and incorrect, even in informal use.

-

who cares?