A-Levels

Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A-Levels

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
The whole point about A'Levels is that they are supposed to differentiate between the thickos and not so thickos. Its time to return to a system where only the top 10pct got A Grades and the bottom 30pct failed.
That won't happen unless the P.C Bods are put back into their box and they let Competitive competition start again along with Christmas Activities and a clout round the ear by your local bobby !!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

The whole point about A'Levels is that they are supposed to differentiate between the thickos and not so thickos. Its time to return to a system where only the top 10pct got A Grades and the bottom 30pct failed.

Excuse me, I didnt get any A levels and I am definitely not a thicko, as I said previously I received all my qualifications I have after I left school and the reason I got them then was because I wanted to learn not because I had to learn.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
That won't happen unless the P.C Bods are put back into their box and they let Competitive competition start again along with Christmas Activities and a clout round the ear by your local bobby !!!
Here! Here! I went to my eldest grandson's sports day and it was so wonderful to hear the School Houses being called out, yes competition and sports on a playing field, everything very un PC in schools these days but in his school which is in North Wales they dont have SATS as they do in England, I think this is the test they do something like the 11 plus (OMG I am showing my age now) but please tell me if I am wrong. The competition and the eagerness on the childrens faces to do well for their "House" was brilliant. The Offsted report on the school puts it as one of the top in the area. Lets bring back UN PCness TODAY!!!!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:43 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Right, a system where it's by design impossible to compare between years... and where students fail no matter how well they've done on their course just because a few people did better that year, even if in any of the previous ten years they'd have passed... excellent stuff...

The only real problem with A levels now is that the bar for the top grade is set too low. Luckily there are A* grades coming in soon.

In the end grade inflation doesn't matter much even if it does exist, as long as you can still pick out the real bright sparks. Am I the only one to have done the special papers as well? (Now GCE Advanced Extension I believe)
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Yea but a Typical said ...how would you fair if told to study and learn ''this page'' rather than study and learn '' these 15 books''
its very true... I was taking a CIM course a couple of years ago... and was basically told we would be learning how to take an exam and you need to answer using this.

at which point i couldn't understand why i was spending £2.5k of my own money to regurgitate rather than learn... when I mentioned that you couldn't use a certain thing in the real world... i was told to stop thinking about the real world, you are studying to pass an exam and gain a qualification...

In the end grade inflation doesn't matter much even if it does exist, as long as you can still pick out the real bright sparks.
true but on paper a person may not have as good grades but be better for a job... but you'd never know because if you could only interview one of them it would be the person that looks better on paper
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Right, a system where it's by design impossible to compare between years... and where students fail no matter how well they've done on their course just because a few people did better that year, even if in any of the previous ten years they'd have passed... excellent stuff...

The only real problem with A levels now is that the bar for the top grade is set too low. Luckily there are A* grades coming in soon.

In the end grade inflation doesn't matter much even if it does exist, as long as you can still pick out the real bright sparks. Am I the only one to have done the special papers as well? (Now GCE Advanced Extension I believe)
Beat's me mate, school qualifications now a days are like double dutch to me, I'm a straight foreward ''O'' Grade and Higher ABC = Pass anything Below = Fail
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me - daughter's class results in Maths - almost every one got over 90% with several scoring full marks. The teacher made the paper a bit tricky - the person who scored the second highest - was 23% below the person scoring the highest And this happened in one of the better schools here in Dubai.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:03 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Reminds me - daughter's class results in Maths - almost every one got over 90% with several scoring full marks. The teacher made the paper a bit tricky - the person who scored the second highest - was 23% below the person scoring the highest And this happened in one of the better schools here in Dubai.
OK I might be having a seriously blonde moment but how can the second highest scorer be 23% below the highest if everyone got over 90%???
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:13 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
OK I might be having a seriously blonde moment but how can the second highest scorer be 23% below the highest if everyone got over 90%???
I knew someone else would ask!
blonde cat x
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

because the teacher made the test a bit tricky for the next one
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Not in this test! The previous tests were too easy - so many scored over 85%
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:26 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Not in this test! The previous tests were too easy - so many scored over 85%
Ahhhhh I get it now
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Celso75 has a brilliant futureCelso75 has a brilliant futureCelso75 has a brilliant futureCelso75 has a brilliant futureCelso75 has a brilliant futureCelso75 has a brilliant future

They must be easier now, i struggled to get through two subjects Besides, I found my degree easier, probably because it was a lot more interesting
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:02 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Wield Occam's Razor as much as you like, but that doesn't actually prove anything about whether the exams are getting easier
The universities certainly think that exams are getting easier.

For the last few years, many unis have been complaining that they're having to lay on remedial classes in all their major subjects to bring their new intake of undergrads - even the ones with multiple A-grades - up to the standard that *used* to be taken for granted among new entrants.

Once upon a time, if you had a A-grade A-level, it *guaranteed* a certain level of academic achievement and ability. It doesn't any more, which is why I believe some unis are even considering introducing their own entrance exams, so that they can sort out the A-grade students who are actually good from the A-grade students who are crap and who wouldn't have been given A-grades under the old, stricter marking system.

If that isn't a damning indictment of the standard of A-level grading these days, I don't know what is.

But then, it's been demonstrated more than once that if you give modern students old-style exams (covering questions that they *ought* to be able to answer) and mark them as strictly as they used to be marked, all the kids crash and burn big-time - even the ones predicted for multiple A-grades under the modern system.

Last edited by Eeyore; Aug 16th 2007 at 9:06 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:11 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Cambridge U. is currently working with Eton and the other toff schools, to introduce a new qualification which shall be called Pre-U or something along the lines as they're utterly fed up with the A-level sub-standards. Or so I have read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.