Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Letting agents - nasty or nice?!

Letting agents - nasty or nice?!

Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Rachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Letting agents - nasty or nice?!

10 days to go so i've started looking for apartments on the internet........

It looks like a two bed in the Marina is a good place to start?! Available, reasonably affordable, good facilities, nightlife and not too far from work, etc.

I understand you have to pay a years rent up front or in 4 cheques? Are prices negotiable? Anything i need to watch out for? Any letting agents to avoid or recommendations?

Cheers,

R
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letting agents - nasty or nice?!

Originally Posted by Rachatron

It looks like a two bed in the Marina is a good place to start?! Available, reasonably affordable, good facilities, nightlife and not too far from work, etc.

I understand you have to pay a years rent up front or in 4 cheques? Are prices negotiable? Anything i need to watch out for? Any letting agents to avoid or recommendations?

Cheers,

R
Rent is up front or in post dated cheques - the amount of cheques is dependant on what you and the agent/landlord agree on.

Best to look at a few apartments with different agents. Then you will get a good feel of price. I would always try to negotiate, doesn't hurt to try.

With the agents, well, just have a lot of patience.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Rachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I understand patience is the key when getting anything sorted out there........
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

The agents tend to have a clear policy of saying 'that is the price'.

If you want the apartment, but don't want to pay the price, don't be afraid of telling them what you want to pay.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I understand patience is the key when getting anything sorted out there........
I have just done this myself in the last 2 weeks.

Firstly, I wouldnt bother ringing about anything you spot that you want to see in a week - it wont still be available. You need to get to Dubai, look on GNADS4u and see what ones have come on in the last 2 days and then ring up and see them straight away. Also, worth calling a couple of agents and asking for them to send you an updated list of properties, as noone bothers keeping their websites up to date.

If you call 10 people and leave messages, expect to hear back from 3

If you call someone who doesnt have what you want, you wont ever hear back from them

Prices are normally negotiable by about 5000 dirhams from my experience - although in my case it went up by 5000 not down which is a different story

I do not think agents like negotiating with landlords

Agents are crap, you need patience as previously stated

Agent commission is 5% of the rental

If you possibly can find anything direct from a landlord do it - means you wont have to pay an agent 5% for making the whole process harder for you

those are my thoughts having been through the painful process recently!

good luck....
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Cheers,

R
I have a kind of recommendation BTW. You will need to be patient with him because he isnt the best BUT he does have loads of properties around the Marina and JBR. Guy called rob kerr - 0504560238

mention that Simon Griffiths recommended him
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Thats brilliant sg800, thanks. Though i am concerned about taking advice from anyone who managed to negotiate the price up!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:19 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Thats brilliant sg800, thanks. Though i am concerned about taking advice from anyone who managed to negotiate the price up!
lol...
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

landlord playing silly buggers, it happens over here. Price is 145000. We want it, he says actually I want 150000. Comes back 4 hours later saying ok will do it for 145000. We are supposed to think we are saving money, he gets the full asking price. Old school sales technique. I partly thank the agent for that, partly the landlord. Either way, 2 bed fully furnished at the marina with a sea view from the balcony - cant complain at 145k

What line of work are you in?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:34 am
W10

Roughly 1,700 pounds a month for a 2 bed flat...

Dubai is going crazy

Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

Dubai is going crazy
that's a good price for fully furnished though. I think we are lucky paying 85, you are bloody lucky cos I know your paying less.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that's a good price for fully furnished though. I think we are lucky paying 85, you are bloody lucky cos I know your paying less.
I saw 2 bed unfurnished in the marina from 120 000 (2 bed overlooking SZR) to 155 000 which was a 2 bed in the Waves which is a top quality building, but you can pay up to 180k+ for a decent view down there. It is mad in terms of prices, I would definitely buy here if I had more of an idea or where the market is going to go.

But furnished with view at 145 is indeed a bargain
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by W10

Dubai is going crazy
I agree, I am renting out my 3 bed semi in England for £1k per month. I know Reading is no Dubai, but still.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sg800
I saw 2 bed unfurnished in the marina from 120 000 (2 bed overlooking SZR) to 155 000 which was a 2 bed in the Waves which is a top quality building, but you can pay up to 180k+ for a decent view down there. It is mad in terms of prices, I would definitely buy here if I had more of an idea or where the market is going to go.

But furnished with view at 145 is indeed a bargain
120 for a two bed is pretty standard, my friend just rented hers out for that.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
120 for a two bed is pretty standard, my friend just rented hers out for that.
certain agents tend to claim that you wont find anything thereless than 180k+

I think whatever way you look at it, the landlord wins and the tenant loses!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.