Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Letter from Riyadh

Letter from Riyadh

Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Letter from Riyadh

Behave yourselves while I'm away, as I'll be keeping in touch (as well as I can) from here. A six-month consultancy stint beckons (my FOURTH tour of duty here, dating back to 1992).

Long drive across the desert yesterday (1100km-plus - I didn't realise it was quite that far - I should have looked it up on that new-fangled internet thingy....). The Empty Quarter is well-named: it has sand, sand, electricity pylons, and sand. It was quite hot too. God bless the most underrated 4x4 on the market - the Hyundai Santa Fe - which never even skipped a beat.

In the three-and-a-bit years since I was last here, Riyadh hasn't changed much, for those who know it, but a new (to me) development is the installation of security checkpoints, barricades, etc at hotels (they have had them at the residential compounds since the attacks in 2003).

Work-wise, it will be a treat to mingle with the Saudis again. In my experience, they have a greater respect for Western know-how (not that I have much of that!), and are more willing to respond to and learn from it, than most out here. (And if 'Einstein' who asked a couple of weeks ago about his contract in Saudi is still hanging around, please PM me)

I'll let you know when I'm back in Dubai for my first weekend break - I will be in need of a small glass of shandy. I'm buying, if anyone wants to come along.

Blue Cat - sorry to hear about the latest at the Country Club. Keep banging on HH's door.

And if anyone spots the Dire Bollock All, and you feel he needs a good talking-to, just let me know.......
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letter from Riyadh

hiya the Dean, great to hear that you got there in one piece! I thought it was a long way to drive! you aren't going to drive back for the weekend are you??? I won't give up on HH or DCC.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
hiya the Dean, great to hear that you got there in one piece! I thought it was a long way to drive! you aren't going to drive back for the weekend are you??? I won't give up on HH or DCC.
Deano's gone to KSA???
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
Deano's gone to KSA???
yup he drove all the way there !