Reload this Page >

Legit question around salary/benefits packages

Legit question around salary/benefits packages

Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Gazza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legit question around salary/benefits packages

Hi,

Have sat on the fence for a while and have liked what I have read so decided to dive in:-)

My UK based company is looking to open up operations out in Abu Dhabi, enabling an employee to go out and earn tax-free. I have put my name forward for the role which they are considering and so I have done a little research on what I should ask for and would like to know if it is competative in relation to jobs out in the UAE.

The role is a NOC manager in charge of client networks and also involves pre-sales of network ops management services and professional services/project management. From what I have read salaries vary from $9k to $11k per month for this kind of work.

- Current basic = £55,000 + £5,000 bonus + share options (would it be ok to transfer it like4like?). That would mean around $10,000 or AED36,700 pm (if bonus came in;-))
- Package = was thinking of asking for medical and return tickets once a year for me and the wife.

Status = married with no kids. Would look to rent a 2 bed apt, close to beach/marina. Need a car and possibly a driver as not to sure what a UK license gets you in UAE(?) Wife is a palates/aerobics instructor and is a qualified massage therapist. Would she have problems finding work?

Is the cash/package about right?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Gazzza
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:04 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legit question around salary/benefits packages

Originally Posted by Gazza1
Hi,

Have sat on the fence for a while and have liked what I have read so decided to dive in:-)

My UK based company is looking to open up operations out in Abu Dhabi, enabling an employee to go out and earn tax-free. I have put my name forward for the role which they are considering and so I have done a little research on what I should ask for and would like to know if it is competative in relation to jobs out in the UAE.

The role is a NOC manager in charge of client networks and also involves pre-sales of network ops management services and professional services/project management. From what I have read salaries vary from $9k to $11k per month for this kind of work.

- Current basic = £55,000 + £5,000 bonus + share options (would it be ok to transfer it like4like?). That would mean around $10,000 or AED36,700 pm (if bonus came in;-))
- Package = was thinking of asking for medical and return tickets once a year for me and the wife.

Status = married with no kids. Would look to rent a 2 bed apt, close to beach/marina. Need a car and possibly a driver as not to sure what a UK license gets you in UAE(?) Wife is a palates/aerobics instructor and is a qualified massage therapist. Would she have problems finding work?

Thanks for reading,

Gazzza
OK that sounds ok but you need an accommodation package as well - if you can negotiate a 2 b/rm apt inclusive that would be great if not you need to look at rental charges which aren't cheap,

Good Luck with everything xx

Last edited by Fairydust; Jun 19th 2007 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:41 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for reading,

Gazzza

Hi ya

With regards to your wife working hopefully she could join a club or perhaps do private lessons? Get her to pose the question on here http://www.abudhabiwoman.com/

Good luck.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:20 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for reading,

Gazzza
Hello....

The package sounds good you wont need housing on top.I expect its included. there are not many 2 bed apts in Abu but pleanty of 3 bed ones.
better off looking in the corniche area if you want an apartment. Near the marina or the beach They are about 120-140,000kdhs. One overlooking the beach or marina will be a lot more.

You need the money up front and renting is for a year so ask your company if they will loan you the money for the whole rent amount as landlords like one cheque, and take it out your wages each month. Most companies do that for the first year. Then you just save up or take out a loan for the next year.
Sadly packages with housing bens are very rare as the rent prices keep going up here.

You can transfer your licence here from a uk one costs about 25 pounds and then can get a car on finance. Cars are cheap out here. the banks will chuck credit cards at you ...if you want them. just dont miss a payment off them or they jail you.

Buy the book called red tape...order it from a book store, smiths may have one. tells you all the laws and regulations.

I presume you are thinking of moving to Abu. My hubby and i are moving there in july and will be looking at places today.

Pm me if you have any more questions or your wife has any. What to wear etc...get pm'd that alot.
You can sponser your wife out here and she can look for a job when she gets here. i am sure she can get work as a fitness instructer might be worth looking in the paper when she gets out here.

Good luck
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

hiya Gazza,

all I would add is that you want, private medical insurance, and a housing allowance.

Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:28 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
hiya Gazza,

all I would add is that you want, private medical insurance, and a housing allowance.

We dont get housing allowance.........He has a high basic.....better off that way for grats....
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd look for relocation allowance, as well. To get an apartment furnished & equipped you'll need 30-50k dhs. Also make sure you get repatriation allowance to get your stuff shipped home when you leave. What about education allowance - do you have kids?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:01 am
Here comes the Sun

I thought the package was really good as it was...just the two of them.
I'd hate to push it furher and loose the oportunity....but then you never know.

Many people are on 30kdhs and under full package with everything...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:24 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star

As I've said to other people before the best negotiation is to try and have the rental of 2/3 b/rm apartment or 3/4//5 brm villa (depending on circumstances) built into your contract rather than a housing allowance
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star

You're right - the package is pretty good. But if you don't ask, you don't get - I'd be tempted to run relocation past them and see what they say. If you move from one part of the UK to another they'll often pay relocation, so why not?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Well the package that has been offered/am currently negotiating is

30,000 Dhs pm
120,000 Dhs pa housing allowance (gonna ask for more)
3000 Dhs pm car allowance
Coverage of all removal costs
35,000 Dhs one off set up allowance

If I was you I would ask for some housing allowance.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fairydust
As I've said to other people before the best negotiation is to try and have the rental of 2/3 b/rm apartment or 3/4//5 brm villa (depending on circumstances) built into your contract rather than a housing allowance
Really? That's what I get but I'd prefer the allowance. I'd use it to buy a place & cover the mortgage - why waste on rent??
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:36 am
Its all good

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Really? That's what I get but I'd prefer the allowance. I'd use it to buy a place & cover the mortgage - why waste on rent??
Because the majority of people complain that their allowance doesn't cover their rental so if for example you negotiated a 4 bedroom villa into the package - in 3 years time when the rental for those properties are around 300k you wont have to worry about it. Of course, if you know you are going to be here for a while yes, it makes sense to take the allowance and buy somewhere. Ok thats enough sensible talk for one day
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
we looked into buying an apartment - it was 1.2 Million. The repayments were 12,000 Dhs a month, so most people find that their housing allowance doesn't cover their mortgages
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Gazza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thank you all very much for the replies, they have helped a lot. I think, as I don't have kids so will have a cheaper medical and no education allowance, that I'll ask for a housing allowance and buy.

I read that foriegners can't buy in Abu, but can buy in Dubai. Is this still the case? If yes then is it a major commute between the to as I'll be working in Abu?

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.