Learning Arabic

Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

shah1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning Arabic

We will be moving to Riyadh in the next few months or so and would like to know if there are any opportunities for women to learn arabic in riyadh, saudi arabia as i have heard women cannot go to university/colleges to study, they cannot work

is any of this true??
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

JordanCruiser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Learning Arabic

Originally Posted by shah1981
We will be moving to Riyadh in the next few months or so and would like to know if there are any opportunities for women to learn arabic in riyadh, saudi arabia as i have heard women cannot go to university/colleges to study, they cannot work

is any of this true??
Hi Shah,

Women can work in Riyadh. They work everywhere. All you need to do is to look and send your CV. As for learning Arabic, I'm not sure, I think you would need to take private lessons.

Regards,
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

As Jordan says, women do work, and there is plenty of work around.

I had to 'sponsor' my wife to come out here ( we're now in Jeddah ) , so on her offical visa, it does state that she is not allowed to work as she is under my sponsorship and not that from an employer.

However, many local employers in Saudi overlook that little detail. Even when she was in the UK applying for jobs, she was being offered work before she arrived in KSA. She is a teacher though, so there are lots of jobs in that field going.

One thing to bear in mind though, is that you/your wife ( not clear who was posting the question ) will only be hired on 'local hire' rates, meaning they will not get as much as they earn on an Expat contract.

A friend in Riyadh said that once his wife arrived, he was surprised at the amount of work available and she had several job offers, ranging from working in a bank , to teaching, to eventually the one she chose - working for Microsoft.

Learning Arabic shouldn't be too difficult, will probably have to be private lessons though, but wouldn't harm in getting some books/ cd's in before arriving here.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

leena is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Learning Arabic

no it's not ture
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leena
no it's not ture
What is not true exactly?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, there's a lovely lady on Al Hamra who teaches Arabic - she's very good and does either group lessons or private lessons. I'm sure there are other people around also who teach Arabic.

As others have said, yes you can work; in hospitals (with the right qualifications), banks, schools and nurserys and possibly other places too. Lots of women out here under hsubands sponsorship work. IMHO you need to do something or you'll go mad!!

Cheers
N
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JordanCruiser
What is not true exactly?
women in ksa learn everywhere ..schools , college , university and even abroad with the goverment's help ..

so wherever you've heared that .. it's very very wrong !

dear " Shah1981" about the opportunities for women to learn arabic there is always a way to learn it

whether in schools .. private teachers .. courses .. and many other ways

i hope you can learn it in a short time .. cause it's really an interesting language !

and if you want anyhelp i'm here ?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leena
women in ksa learn everywhere ..schools , college , university and even abroad with the goverment's help ..

so wherever you've heared that .. it's very very wrong !

dear " Shah1981" about the opportunities for women to learn arabic there is always a way to learn it

whether in schools .. private teachers .. courses .. and many other ways

i hope you can learn it in a short time .. cause it's really an interesting language !

and if you want anyhelp i'm here ?
Can non-saudi women learn arabic at schools, universities and abroad with the aid of the saudi government? I don't think so!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Can non-saudi women learn arabic at schools, universities and abroad with the aid of the saudi government? I don't think so!
in universities only saudi women .. but in schools YES they can

we have private schools .. and govermental schools .. the private once

everyone should pay for them .. saudis and non-saudis .. except the once

whom their fathers work in companies related to some private schools.

however , govermental schools are good .. and provides everything .. books

buses and alot of things without money! for both saudis and non-saudis.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

di_hb is on a distinguished road

Hi
I am now living in Riyadh.I am an Australian expat bought in, 10 weeks ago, to set up Adult Education Centres one of which is for languages. We now have ESL classes being conducted at night for a total of 4 hrs per week over a number of weeks. This has been highly successful.
It is expected that the Arabic classes will commence the beginning of Jan 2009 and be conducted along the same lines. The facilities we are using are extremely safe and central to most compounds and the teachers are selected based on quality of delivery and experience.

If you send me a private email I can provide more details.

Regards
Di
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Neena is an unknown quantity at this point

actually that's changed - non-saudi women can go to unis and colleges too! ha! lol j/k
Old Dec 26th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Hi, I am interested in this, I'll send you a PM.

Originally Posted by di_hb
Hi
I am now living in Riyadh.I am an Australian expat bought in, 10 weeks ago, to set up Adult Education Centres one of which is for languages. We now have ESL classes being conducted at night for a total of 4 hrs per week over a number of weeks. This has been highly successful.
It is expected that the Arabic classes will commence the beginning of Jan 2009 and be conducted along the same lines. The facilities we are using are extremely safe and central to most compounds and the teachers are selected based on quality of delivery and experience.

If you send me a private email I can provide more details.

Regards
Di
Old Dec 26th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Does this woman still teach at Al Hamra?

Originally Posted by Nic1
Hi, there's a lovely lady on Al Hamra who teaches Arabic - she's very good and does either group lessons or private lessons. I'm sure there are other people around also who teach Arabic.

As others have said, yes you can work; in hospitals (with the right qualifications), banks, schools and nurserys and possibly other places too. Lots of women out here under hsubands sponsorship work. IMHO you need to do something or you'll go mad!!

Cheers
N
Old Dec 26th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes she does. She's away just now - back beginning January. Will get her number and pm you if you like ?

N
Old Dec 26th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, that would be great, thankyou.

Originally Posted by Nic1
Hi, yes she does. She's away just now - back beginning January. Will get her number and pm you if you like ?

N