Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lack of qualifications = no work permit?

Lack of qualifications = no work permit?

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

amir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the rough
Default Lack of qualifications = no work permit?

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for a job in Dubai as a Sales Executive in Financial Services Software. I have the first interview next week in the UK.

Would I be able to obtain a work permit through my potential new employer even though I do not have a degree or A-Levels?

The role requires experience only, of which I have plenty!

Would the lack of qualifications be a disadvantage to me in Dubai? If so, in what way.

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:29 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lack of qualifications = no work permit?

Qualifications would play part of the employers decision. As for the state I don't know about Dubai but in Kuwait it would inhibit geting a driving license.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

amir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Dago.

So you believe that if my employer offers me the job knowing I have no degree or A-Levels, then they can still obtain a work permit for me because they are sponsoring me?

Just for clarification please.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this is something you have taken up with your new employer. The HR manager / PRO there is the only one who can give you a definitive answer; people on this board with the best will in the world can only guess, based on our own experiences/assumptions/hearsay.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

My first interview is on Friday 12th so I will ask the question then of course.

I was just hoping I could have got the answer PRIOR to the interview!!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:03 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amir431974
Thanks Dago.

So you believe that if my employer offers me the job knowing I have no degree or A-Levels, then they can still obtain a work permit for me because they are sponsoring me?

Just for clarification please.
With respect I don't know. If I was recruiting the lack of qualifications would be a factor - I'm not talking about a willingness to get you a work permit - but simply as a factor. Building workers usually come without degrees but get work permits and you know this. I suspect you have researched this before - have you asked your potential employer?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

I haven't asked the question yet, but will do next week when I meet with them.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:20 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

It may well depend on where they are based. Tecom (covering DIC, DMC & KV) never required sight of certificates but have recently changed the rules and if say your title was anything other than that of an admin role, you would have to provide certificates. If you hold an admin role and do not provide any sort of certificate, they will charge an extra 710dhs for processing the residency fee. Another good old money making scheme!

Let us know what they say.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

ahh sorry i thought you had already got the job!

in that case, do of course ask them at the time (they must have a system in place) and good luck!

Surprised you have an interview on a Friday though, that too just before Eid...!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

It's on a Friday because the interview is in the UK in London. I am UK based and the role will be part of a new sales office opening soon in Dubai. As yet the company does not have a presence there.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

It's on a Friday because the interview is in the UK in London. I am UK based and the role will be part of a new sales office opening soon in Dubai. As yet the company does not have a presence there.
do they need a marketeer?

really though good luck on friday... if they offered you an interview having seen your CV without the degree already, that's a good sign isn't it? however they may offer you less money etc because of the lack of qualifications... but I wouldn't try and justify your lack of qualifications, I would instead concentrate on your experience as a lot of western companies will tend to take experience over qualifications over here... of course the ME is different but you never know, it's just about selling yourself as an asset, Good Luck
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Cham128.

I suppose it is a good sign that they are seeing me knowing I do not have a degree.

If I am successful in obtaining the role, I will genuineley let you know if they are looking for a marketing guru!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Cham128.

I suppose it is a good sign that they are seeing me knowing I do not have a degree.

If I am successful in obtaining the role, I will genuineley let you know if they are looking for a marketing guru!
well just go in there confident even if everyone else has a degree...

I remember I was interviewing a LOT of people for a marketing exec job awhile back and we just weren't finding the person that we wanted... eventually one of the recruiters convinced us to interview this guy who's CV we weren't that impressed with as he didn't have as much experience, and didn't get a great degree... we called him in, and was far better than anyone we'd seen throughout the 3 weeks... he got the job
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:52 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Within the free zones, lack of formal qualifications is irrelevant. If a company wants to hire you, it can hire you regardless. I don't have a degree - I dropped out of university in my first year because I was offered the job I wanted - and it wasn't any kind of issue when it came to getting a work permit here; all my employers cared about was my track record in my industry.

Outside the free zones, stories are mixed; some people will tell you that a degree isn't necessary, others that it is. Most likely, it'll come down to the same situation as in the free zones - if a company wants to hire you, it'll hire you.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:57 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Within the free zones, lack of formal qualifications is irrelevant.
I beg to differ ... the laws have changed within Tecom in recent weeks and as long as you are happy for your labour card to state Admin Assistant (or similar) when in fact you may well be a lot more senior, then you can get around it. However some companies may not wish to 'bend' the rules to that extent and would require a certificate in order to sponsor you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.