Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Labour Dispute / Employment Law Lawyer

Labour Dispute / Employment Law Lawyer

Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Labour Dispute / Employment Law Lawyer

Bored,

As some may know, I resigned in May. I had a 6 month notice period as part of my contract and was willing to honour it. Company has now started being difficult and are attempting to reduce my bonus by playing with numbers.
I have no interest in working any further for them. Any idea where I stand? from what I can gather from the MOL website, if I **** off now, all I owe them is the salaries they wont be paying me for (which I wont have earned anyway), any ideas if that is correct?

Any idea how I would go about having the contract / card cancelled?\

Alternatively - what about any recommendations for a decent lawyer I can verify the details with?

If any of you happened to write for a newspaper on the dispute/legal page and wanted to use my circumstances as an example I'd be happy to share the exact details...

Brian
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Labour Dispute / Employment Law Lawyer

Oh and why does L.A.B.O.U.R appear as /?
Old Aug 14th 2013, 5:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Bored,

As some may know, I resigned in May. I had a 6 month notice period as part of my contract and was willing to honour it. Company has now started being difficult and are attempting to reduce my bonus by playing with numbers.
I have no interest in working any further for them. Any idea where I stand? from what I can gather from the MOL website, if I **** off now, all I owe them is the salaries they wont be paying me for (which I wont have earned anyway), any ideas if that is correct?

Any idea how I would go about having the contract / card cancelled?\

Alternatively - what about any recommendations for a decent lawyer I can verify the details with?

If any of you happened to write for a newspaper on the dispute/legal page and wanted to use my circumstances as an example I'd be happy to share the exact details...

Brian

Surprised you haven't emailed me already (again)...

If I can't advise, I know a good lawyer who can.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
Surprised you haven't emailed me already (again)...

If I can't advise, I know a good lawyer who can.
hehe, I did appreciate your input Meow, but struggling to find anything concrete in the law about it. I had understood that the Arabic contract would be the one referred too incase of any dispute, however it doesn't mention any actual notice period.

I found an article you wrote 20.10.2012 which is remarkably similar to my own circumstances;

"If your employment contract states 90 days and you agreed to those terms (by signing and/or taking the job), then that is legally binding. Contract law, in this case, takes precedence over UAE Labour Law."

If this is still the case I'm pretty much fecked, right?
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
hehe, I did appreciate your input Meow, but struggling to find anything concrete in the law about it. I had understood that the Arabic contract would be the one referred too incase of any dispute, however it doesn't mention any actual notice period.

I found an article you wrote 20.10.2012 which is remarkably similar to my own circumstances;

"If your employment contract states 90 days and you agreed to those terms (by signing and/or taking the job), then that is legally binding. Contract law, in this case, takes precedence over UAE Labour Law."

If this is still the case I'm pretty much fecked, right?
It depends. It can be a grey area, but if you agreed to no worse terms that Labour law states then they are likely to be binding. Email me x
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
Email me x
have done!