Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kuwait Visa Procedures

Kuwait Visa Procedures

Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kuwait Visa Procedures

Just a quick question on this - my husband is considering a possible internal move to Kuwait but has been told by others that the "new" work visa medical has to be done in your own Country which for us would be UK. Does anyone know anything about this? Would be grateful for any advice. Have looked for information on Kuwait but there's not much around! Thanks

Last edited by soukie; Jan 27th 2010 at 7:05 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kuwait Visa Procedures

Looks like no-one knows the new set up for Kuwait then! Even our Company is struggling with info and all the info on the Kuwait websites are out of date......
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:23 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Try Kuwait Embassy site London. I used it and it was very clear on the medical then (which may have been the 'new one'. The people there are helful too believe it or not.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Try Kuwait Embassy site London. I used it and it was very clear on the medical then (which may have been the 'new one'. The people there are helful too believe it or not.
Many thanks Bijilo123.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Wales4Ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soukie
Just a quick question on this - my husband is considering a possible internal move to Kuwait but has been told by others that the "new" work visa medical has to be done in your own Country which for us would be UK. Does anyone know anything about this? Would be grateful for any advice. Have looked for information on Kuwait but there's not much around! Thanks
If your husband has a University Degree then the local Kuwaiti sponsor can make him a commercial business visa and with 30 days it will be transferred into a work permit after medical checks and fingerprints are taken. However if he isn't a graduate he would have to return to the UK and apply through the Kuwait Embassy in London. Otherwise just enter on an automatic 3 month visit visa but in doing this he will not be able to register a car, bank locally or rent accommodation, how long would he be staying in Kuwait?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

A friend of mine has just moved to Kuwait and had to go back to the UK to have the medical and go through the visa formalities from there. She then had to have another medical when she got there mind you, to get some sort of ID that will allow her to drive etc etc... sorry to be sketchy on the details... will try to find out more and post it here.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wales4Ever
If your husband has a University Degree then the local Kuwaiti sponsor can make him a commercial business visa and with 30 days it will be transferred into a work permit after medical checks and fingerprints are taken. However if he isn't a graduate he would have to return to the UK and apply through the Kuwait Embassy in London. Otherwise just enter on an automatic 3 month visit visa but in doing this he will not be able to register a car, bank locally or rent accommodation, how long would he be staying in Kuwait?
Thanks for this - apparently the rules have recently changed and everyone has to have a medical in their own country including some very obscure blood tests. A Police clearance certificate is also required. The Kuwait Embassy in London are very helpful. My husband's friend is from USA and is going through the procedure in USA now. Hubbie hasn't decided on the move yet but has visited the project a number of times on a visit visa.

Last edited by soukie; Feb 7th 2010 at 10:27 am.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
A friend of mine has just moved to Kuwait and had to go back to the UK to have the medical and go through the visa formalities from there. She then had to have another medical when she got there mind you, to get some sort of ID that will allow her to drive etc etc... sorry to be sketchy on the details... will try to find out more and post it here.
We have sussed the "own country" formalities but we are not aware of what is required after that so any information on that would be really useful.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

TheRog303 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your husband holds a valid residency in any of the Gulf countries, he can travel to Kuwait and obtain the tourist visa on arrival. If you do not hold a GCC residency, and travel from outside the GCC (i.e.) Europe, the airline companies have recently started to ask that you hold a 'return ticket'.

If you husband holds a British passport, he is also eligible for the tourist visa.

In order to obtain my Kuwait Residency, I will explain the steps to date... (I am already in Kuwait). Get your Educational Certification validated at the British Council, pm me and I can send you the map - as their website has no link to the map... typical of Kuwait! (telephone number for British Council: 00965 22520067) Here, take a number and wait... After you are called, hand over the original certification. The check is to ensure the certificate is of course, genuine. In my case, this took approximately 5 minutes. In some cases, the British Council will need to contact the exam/issuer of the certificate - a response within two weeks is apparently the norm. The certificate will be stamped by the British Council, thus it is genuine and hooo raaa your on your way! Cost 6KD, I hear the cost varies depending on the donkey work that the British Council undertake.

After this, you take the stamped certificate to the British Embassy ! (telephone number for British Embassy: 00965 22594320) - I am going tomorrow morning, so I can update this thread if you find it useful. Note... You cannot obtain the UK police clearance certificate prior to the MoL/I issuing your temporary work permit, or the dates won't match and you have to do it all over again!!!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Wales4Ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Rog, I myself am preparing to leave Kuwait after many years here, I have a business partnership with a local, so quite possible I will visit for short periods later on.

Out of interest what industry are you in?

Seeing as you have started your process I would recommend posting every step you go through as it will be very helpful to future users.

As you will no doubt already see, Kuwait can be a very frustrating place that requires a lot of patience and stamina to get through all hoops of life that are set in front of you.

All the best
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:45 am
Just Joined

I took my educational certificate and UK driving license to the British Embassy this morning, the services they will perform are (1) Attesting Certificate - Cost KD14 (2) Arabic Translation - Cost KD22.50, I will collect the documents tomorrow - so that's a turnaround in about 24hrs!

After these documents are back in my hands, I will be dealing with our HR - I'll keep the thread updated on what is done...
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Kuwait Visa Procedures

Originally Posted by Wales4Ever
Welcome Rog, I myself am preparing to leave Kuwait after many years here, I have a business partnership with a local, so quite possible I will visit for short periods later on.

Out of interest what industry are you in?

Seeing as you have started your process I would recommend posting every step you go through as it will be very helpful to future users.

As you will no doubt already see, Kuwait can be a very frustrating place that requires a lot of patience and stamina to get through all hoops of life that are set in front of you.

All the best
In Kuwait for over a year now, however I was holding a UAE work visa - and decided to hang on to get my own way when the company went sour!

Good luck in Wales