Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KSA No Objection Certificate

KSA No Objection Certificate

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Astana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default KSA No Objection Certificate

I am a British national who recently left my employer/sponsor of three years in Saudi Arabia with all entitlements etc. paid up and signed for on an exit only visa, passport and exit documents were completed and finalised at the airport (2nd March 2011), went airside and I’m away to my home.

I have now been offered a new post in Saudi Arabia and as no ‘no objection certificate’ (NOC) was provided by my now old employer/sponsor, who said that they do not provide them anymore, will I have any difficulty obtaining a work visa through my new employer/sponsor at the Saudi Consulate in London?

Cheers
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KSA No Objection Certificate

Originally Posted by Astana
I am a British national who recently left my employer/sponsor of three years in Saudi Arabia with all entitlements etc. paid up and signed for on an exit only visa, passport and exit documents were completed and finalised at the airport (2nd March 2011), went airside and I’m away to my home.

I have now been offered a new post in Saudi Arabia and as no ‘no objection certificate’ (NOC) was provided by my now old employer/sponsor, who said that they do not provide them anymore, will I have any difficulty obtaining a work visa through my new employer/sponsor at the Saudi Consulate in London?

Cheers
As far as I know, the No Objection Certificate is exactly for instances like this - and is required.

However, you / your new employer could still try processing the visa - without committing yourself to anything to see if it comes through? Is it also possible to contact your ex employer and ask for a certificate?
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Raynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura aboutRaynman has a spectacular aura about

Cheers
My understanding is that the no objection certificate no longer applies and unless there has been some sort of criminal activity on the part of the employee there should be no issues with obtaining a new visa and returning to the magic kingdom. This was my experience in 2008/9 and I am not aware it has changed since then.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raynman
My understanding is that the no objection certificate no longer applies and unless there has been some sort of criminal activity on the part of the employee there should be no issues with obtaining a new visa and returning to the magic kingdom. This was my experience in 2008/9 and I am not aware it has changed since then.
Would be good for the OP if that is still the case. I know my company still issues them, so that was what lead me to think they are still required.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies... This is exactly the problem with the NOC as there is no definitive answer, some say 'NO' and others 'YES'

In terms of the company I just left they say that they don't issue the NOC because it is not necessary and that once you have been paid all your entitlements and signed for them at the office, and further signed that you have received them at airport immigration this closes all permits and obligations between you and the company as you are leaving on an 'exit only' visa.

However, the vagaries of the magic kingdom are numerous and getting a straight answer from the powers that be is fraught with difficulties, I rang the embassy in London twice and received once again conflcting information of 'yeah, but no but, yeah, innit!'

Last edited by Astana; Apr 25th 2011 at 3:17 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all

What I've been told (and, unfortunately, hearsay is as good an authority as it gets for so many Saudi employment issues) is that there is no longer any central requirement for NOCs but the Saudi embassies in some countries still require them...

Would getting a new passport solve the problem?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:48 am
Just Joined

I am not sure getting a new passport would help but I also don't think it would do any harm either.
Old May 1st 2011, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Cheers
UPDATE

I've made further enquiries into the no objection certificate by obtaining the services of a law practice in KSA, their answer in short was to the extent of their knowledge, there is no need for a Letter of No-Objection to be provided from an old sponsor as long as you have been granted the final exit visa without any notes (any notes must be explained to you before leaving as it is a legal requirement).

They don't expect that I will face any difficulty in obtaining a new work visa at the Saudi Consulate.

They also contacted the Dept. of Passports (a department i have not heard of) in Riyadh via a phone call where they confirmed the abovementioned in general.

So as far as this law practice can ascertain their is no longer a need for a letter of no objection based on the final exit route.

For my part I have found it extremely difficult to find out, get or receive a definitive answer to this question.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

UPDATE

I've made further enquiries into the no objection certificate by obtaining the services of a law practice in KSA, their answer in short was to the extent of their knowledge, there is no need for a Letter of No-Objection to be provided from an old sponsor as long as you have been granted the final exit visa without any notes (any notes must be explained to you before leaving as it is a legal requirement).

They don't expect that I will face any difficulty in obtaining a new work visa at the Saudi Consulate.

They also contacted the Dept. of Passports (a department i have not heard of) in Riyadh via a phone call where they confirmed the abovementioned in general.

So as far as this law practice can ascertain their is no longer a need for a letter of no objection based on the final exit route.

For my part I have found it extremely difficult to find out, get or receive a definitive answer to this question.
Sounds like it's good news for you - best of luck
Old May 1st 2011, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks nottmbantam.

I'm many folks have been stuck in this limbo 'visa' land, so once I've gone through the process I'll post the results and any updates.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Mission Accomplished... I am now in the Kingdom and take up my duties on Saturday.

Some points that I've picked up on the way.

First, no mention of the NOC was mentioned by the officialdom and the visa process took 24 hours end to end.

Second, it was worth the effort of getting a new passport.

Third, a good visa broker is worth having for the tips in preparation alone.

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

As I understand it an LNO is no longer required.

As long as you have exited without any issues then there shouldn't be a problem with a future visa.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by irich
As I understand it an LNO is no longer required.

As long as you have exited without any issues then there shouldn't be a problem with a future visa.
See earlier post in the thread regarding NOC.