Killer road

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:11 am
W10

Default Killer road

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/Nat...ticleID=178403

Nice to see the stats really. An average of four accidents per day and 18 deaths per month on the SZR.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Killer road

Unfortunately the figures aren't likely to improve as long as the police think all they need to do is put up more speed cameras. They need to have proper traffic police who aren't afraid to stop people who are driving badly and put points on their licence. Too many people out here think that a driving licence is a right rather than a privlidge.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Unfortunately the figures aren't likely to improve as long as the police think all they need to do is put up more speed cameras. They need to have proper traffic police who aren't afraid to stop people who are driving badly and put points on their licence. Too many people out here think that a driving licence is a right rather than a privlidge.
I'd like to see:
- No driving of transfer trucks during rush hour(s).
- Relegate all SUV to one (1) lane.
- SUV tax.
- Impound any vehicle used for speeding faster than 150km/h.
- 6 month ban of any driver found speeding faster than 150km/h.
- Permanent ban of any driver causing a fatality.
- REAL enforcement. More than pointless cameras, fines, and towing away the wrecks.

Any car I've driven before living here -- I'm not sure what the horn sounds like, and I don't know how to turn on the 4-way-flashers. Here? I use these two things as much as I use the gas-pedal.

I said it before and I'll say it again -- someone please find me an air-horn.

Last edited by BurpusMe; Aug 24th 2005 at 8:42 am.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:24 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Surely a better way would be to ban every car older than 3 years, or dirty, or both. Not allow any echoes, sunnys etal on the road except between the hours of 02.00 and 04.00 and even then a bloke with a red flag needs to walk in front of them. Then there's the taxi's, they could be banned too and only people who can afford and want to use it can.
Originally Posted by BurpusMe
I'd like to see:
- No driving of transfer trucks during rush hour(s).
- Relegate all SUV to one (1) lane.
- SUV tax.
- Impound any vehicle used for speeding faster than 150km/h.
- 6 month ban of any driver found speeding faster than 150km/h.
- Permanent ban of any driver causing a fatality.
- REAL enforcement. More than pointless cameras, fines, and towing away the wrecks.

Any car I've driven before living here -- I'm not sure what the horn sounds like, and I don't know how to turn on the 4-way-flashers. Here? I use these two things as much as I use the gas-pedal.

I said it before and I'll say it again -- someone please find me an air-horn.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Surely a better way would be to ban every car older than 3 years, or dirty, or both. Not allow any echoes, sunnys etal on the road except between the hours of 02.00 and 04.00 and even then a bloke with a red flag needs to walk in front of them. Then there's the taxi's, they could be banned too and only people who can afford and want to use it can.
There's been a lot of discussion lately about banning older cars and I cannot for the life of me understand the logic behind it.

Cars don't cause accidents....drivers do.
Cars don't go hurtling down SZR at 180kph because they're old.

They only explanation I can come up with for such a scheme is that the majority of traffic is made of poorer workers who cannot afford new cars.
Therefore, ban old cars and you ban majority of traffic.

But all that achieves is less traffic on roads - higher speeds and traffic composed mainly of high performance cars.....which means more speed and more death.

I like the earlier posting of harsher penalties or more effort into enforcement rather than token cameras.

I drive a 97 jeep - and I'd like to continue doing so thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

MJC:
It's the morons who use their LandCruiser/Envoy/Escalade/Transfer Truck/Bus to weave traffic at 160km/h that I take issue with.

Yesterday I saw a bus run a red-light near the Mina.
It was traveling fast enough that when it hit the curb on the other side of the intersection it went up on two wheels and nearly rolled. All to avoid a red light. :scared:

In a perfect world, the police would shoot these people on-the-spot.
I'd accept a permanent ban as an alternative.

kelvynd:
Stay in the SUV-lane and I won't kick you out of the country!

Originally Posted by kelvynd
I drive a 97 jeep - and I'd like to continue doing so thanks.
In closing... it's Wednesday.
Beer, please!

But none of this, please.

<David Brent>"Drunk driving? I'm against it."</David Brent>
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Before you call me 'heartless' --
I was referring only to the driver, not the passengers.

Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:45 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I never go above 125 and even then it's just in the missus's ML, in my jeep I'm never into 3 figures. As an addition (or ammendum) to my previous post, can I suggest that if you're of Western extraction you're allowed to have a car upto 9 years old, anyone else though it's tough merde.

MJC:
It's the morons who use their LandCruiser/Envoy/Escalade/Transfer Truck/Bus to weave traffic at 160km/h that I take issue with.

Yesterday I saw a bus run a red-light near the Mina.
It was traveling fast enough that when it hit the curb on the other side of the intersection it went up on two wheels and nearly rolled. All to avoid a red light. :scared:

I'd accept a permanent ban as an alternative.

kelvynd:
Stay in the SUV-lane and I won't kick you out of the country!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
I agree, I never go above 125 and even then it's just in the missus's ML, in my jeep I'm never into 3 figures. As an addition (or ammendum) to my previous post, can I suggest that if you're of Western extraction you're allowed to have a car upto 9 years old, anyone else though it's tough merde.

An SUV lane would be great! Happy to have my own lane.....will never happen though.

Regarding the banning of older cars (and it has been reported on in the press) - perhaps they should look at the cars that drivers are actually being killed in..... a large portion I would suggest are high performance late model cars and 4x4's that the driver lost control of due speed or wreckless driving.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

barsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud of

i want a huge **** off spot light (like the ones at the burj) in my boot, to scare the **** out of the 'flashers' on SZR!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:31 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

icon garage on 3382744 have the most powerful one around, they're xenon and AED3600 each, put them on the back window and they'll brick it!!!
Originally Posted by barsha barbie
i want a huge **** off spot light (like the ones at the burj) in my boot, to scare the **** out of the 'flashers' on SZR!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

barsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MJC
icon garage on 3382744 have the most powerful one around, they're xenon and AED3600 each, put them on the back window and they'll brick it!!!
excellent! either that or a smoke machine!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:26 pm
W10

So this isn't the best time to mention I managed to hit 226kmh on the Al Khail Road yesterday?

I need to buy a quicker car

Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:29 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
So this isn't the best time to mention I managed to hit 226kmh on the Al Khail Road yesterday?

I need to buy a quicker car
I think I read somewhere that SZR is on the Guiness Book of Records for the road that has most accidents and deaths in the world :scared:
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Malteser
I think I read somewhere that SZR is on the Guiness Book of Records for the road that has most accidents and deaths in the world :scared:
i heard that too - apparently emirates road is in the top 5!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.