Reload this Page >

kayaking/non-motor watersports/outdoors stuff in Abu dhabi

kayaking/non-motor watersports/outdoors stuff in Abu dhabi

Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

howdyBroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default kayaking/non-motor watersports/outdoors stuff in Abu dhabi

hello,
we are moving to AD in dec - and are keen to try and do some watersports which we love; We know we can do laser sailing at the club, but does anyone know of any 'outdoor adventure' club or centre - or how you get to kayak or canoe through the mangroves?

are their tours? are their maps of the mangroves; is it safe/legal just to take a kayak and say canoe from mangrove village or from anyway else and just head off?

we also like cycling/mountains/walking....though I know we would probably have to go to Ras or sharjah or al ain for those; any recommendations welcome.

thanks
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kayaking/non-motor watersports/outdoors stuff in Abu dhabi

sorry but think that you may be a little disappointed, there are no tours going through the mangrove, the two places with mangroves, are building sites as they are developing houses around them, yes you could still go through them if you own a canoe, which you could buy here, to do sailing at the club you need to be a member of the club and then pay more for the saling club, but you can do sailing out at the international marina club up by Marina Mall, you can hire canoes and sail boats there. there are no outdoor clubs as such, the only one that is around is at dibba and its a childrens outdoor facility not for big people only for school groups etc, cycling people do around the roads here but to mountain biking etc you would need to go al ain or further in the haja mountains.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

thanks busybee.. I had wondered as however much I seemed to ask and look on the internet there seemed to be very little available...

I had thought the international marina club was going to be all gin palaces/motor boats, so that is at least a positive!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by howdyBroad
we also like cycling/mountains/walking....though I know we would probably have to go to Ras or sharjah or al ain for those; any recommendations welcome.

thanks
Outdoor activities like the above are best kept to the winter months due to the humidity/heat of summer.

As far as mountain walking goes, it's pretty much a do it yourself affair. I am not aware of any marked trails, just park at the side of the road and head on up. The mountains in the east of the country comprise loose rock and boulders, so it is scree walking - hard going up, and concentration coming down as you have to watch every step.

More gentle and scenic is to walk/mountain bike along the numerous wadi's, however, many are 4x4 accessible and you will be coated in dust every time someone comes along. In winter you need to keep an eye on the weather and have a rapid exit strategy in case of rainfall leading to flash flooding along the wadi.

I've been spending these summer week ends exploring the wadi's by vehicle, in readiness for the cooler months when outdoor life can begin again!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Shabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant future
Smile Re: kayaking/non-motor watersports/outdoors stuff in Abu dhabi

I'm a Kiwi tramper/skier/mountaineer etc who's just arrived in AbDab and another couple of Kiwis are arriving next week. We're keen to get time in the hills so get in touch when you arrive -- by then it might be cool enough to contemplate being outside.
I was going to start the Abu Dhabi Alpine Club as a nexus or contact list for folks like us. You can email me on henzell (at) gmail (dot) com.
Remember, Kathmandu is a viable weekend destination from AUH! :-)
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Shabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant futureShabroon has a brilliant future

We've started the Abu Dhabi Alpine Club. If you're keen to add your name and contact details to our list, check us out here
JH
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

You can do kayaking through the Mangroves, a guy called Don has started doing tours. His details are at www.kayakabudhabi.com

He also does kayak fishing and is a good bloke.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much; we have been here just a month and was delighted to find the first time out magazine featuring Don and his kayaks. (though incorrect number).
In fact I have just returned from my first trip out. YIPPPPEEE.
Thanks for the leads.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shabroon
We've started the Abu Dhabi Alpine Club. If you're keen to add your name and contact details to our list, check us out here
JH
Hellooo.. thanks for that. We are keen on mountains but more walking style than mountaineering. I think you guys look a bit too serious (and fit) for us. If you stumble across someone/guides which takes the less fit, more walker style mountain person up mountains in the region (including Jebel sham ) then let us know. Its great to see though that since I first posted this that people are starting their own clubs of this kind.