Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just done the London run for the attested process!!

Just done the London run for the attested process!!

Old May 30th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just done the London run for the attested process!!

Just thought you might like to know about our trip to sign these bloody documents!

Please remember that your certificates must be stamped by a solicitor and it must be signed by the solicitor... not the company!

Arrived at the Foreign and Commonwealth office (Leicester or Charing Cross tube) at 8.00am, 4th in the que. By opening time, 09.30 the que was at least 70 long. we handed over the certificates and they were stamped within 20 minutes. People at the end of the que were told 4 hours waiting time.

We then went off to the UAE consulate (South Kensington Tube) handed the certificates over at 10.35 and they told us to come back about 2.30... however they would not stamp the Cypriot wedding certificate because it had not been done by the Foreign and Commonwealth office, and they would not sign it without a stamp from the Cypriot Consulate!! This had already been stamped in cyprus by the foreign affairs... If you were married outside of the UK then this needs to be done.

(So just to be clear, it must be stamped by the Foreign Affairs/Consulate in the country you were married. Then to the Country's Foreign Affairs/Consulate/High Commission in London then to the British Foreign and Commonwealth office and then the UAE consulate).

We had to go the Cypriot Consulate (picadilly circus tube), waited an hour for them to stamp the certificate... then back to the Foreign and Commonwealth office for them to stamp it... The que at 1pm was still 70 long if not longer and there was no way i was waiting in that que! so straight to the front and told them the guy at the desk told me to come back once the wedding certificate had been stamped and i got straight in... however....

They apparently did not recognise the signature from the Cypriot consulate so i had to wait while they had a faxed confirmation it was real!!! 45 minutes later, three phone calls chasing it and it was stamped and ready to go!

Back to the UAE consulate at 2.45pm to find out they were shut.... I did a bit of shouting and they let us in! I had to leave the wedding certificate at the consulate and it has just been returned by express post.

600 miles of driving, 15 trains, 20 miles of walking, 6 times getting lost, 20 hours of being awake and 250 pounds later.... we are now ready to come to Dubai!

I hope this helps!

Opening times
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (09.30 - 15.30)
UAE Consulate (09.30 - 13.00)(Pick up documents between 14.00-14.30)
Cypriot Consulate (09.30 - 13.00)

Last edited by MrsHaps; May 30th 2008 at 9:33 am.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Minna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just done the London run for the attested process!!

The solicitor i used to attest my degree has arranged for it to be sent to the foriegn office and uae consulate for the sum of £209 all in. Hope its back on time as i travel out on the 9th June.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minna
The solicitor i used to attest my degree has arranged for it to be sent to the foriegn office and uae consulate for the sum of £209 all in. Hope its back on time as i travel out on the 9th June.

I have heard of solicitors doing it but i didnt want to risk it not being back in time! We leave on the 8th June, cant wait now!
Old May 30th 2008, 1:29 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I got my certificates attested I paid a company in Dubai AED800 and they had them back to me without 8 working days...

I've never heard of anyone going back just to get attestation - seems rather expensive and time consuming!

N.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
The last time I got my certificates attested I paid a company in Dubai AED800 and they had them back to me without 8 working days...

I've never heard of anyone going back just to get attestation - seems rather expensive and time consuming!

N.
I think Mrs Haps is still in the Uk - not moved out here yet.

There are also companies in the Uk that do all the attestation process for you - a lot easier than what Mrs Haps has just done for sure!!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:55 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

I got married abroad and have been told that it has to go to that embassy to be translated into arabic and then into english then the british embassy in the uae and thats it i can get my visa.
Of course in Dubai i just handed my marrage cert over and she stamped the copy and no more was said!!

My hubby's company delt with all his certs for him. Not heard of anyone having all that bother to get them done before...sounds extreme to me!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

mais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nice

its beacuse the rules have recently changed - we had to go through the same process - its a pain in the ass but so long as you are well prepared and turn up early it can be sorted out in a day
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

did mine by registered post!
took a couple of weeks but saved a trip to London
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep still in the freezing cold UK and due to the lack of notice from the employer there is no way we could have done it any other way. Just telling everyone about it so where possible they have enough time to do it a much easy way!!

Originally Posted by admon
I think Mrs Haps is still in the Uk - not moved out here yet.

There are also companies in the Uk that do all the attestation process for you - a lot easier than what Mrs Haps has just done for sure!!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Sand Man is an unknown quantity at this point

We used a company called Jestom. They will take your documents and go through the attestation process in the UK then send them back to you. We did it with our marriage certificate and it worked fine, took a couple of weeks all around.

There website is: http://www.jestomexpress.com/

Might be worth considering if you don't want to go through the hassle.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:15 am
W10

My company sorted out all my attestation for me.

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

so did my company and unless i have got my mishaps mixed up, so did the company that her hubby is going to work for...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
so did my company and unless i have got my mishaps mixed up, so did the company that her hubby is going to work for...
Yes that is correct however it has all changed and must be done before you arrive
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Yes that is correct however it has all changed and must be done before you arrive

when did this come into force?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:13 am
W10

Me too, but I just posted the certs and my company got them attested in the UAE and they were waiting for me when I arrived

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.