British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Just curious (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/just-curious-748595/)

james1966 Feb 15th 2012 10:34 am

Just curious

Do expats in the Middle East use the internet to research for services, as is normal in the UK, i.e. Financial Advisers. Or do they prefer to be called by companies offering their services?

Meow Feb 15th 2012 10:48 am

Re: Just curious

Originally Posted by james1966 (Post 9903272)
Do expats in the Middle East use the internet to research for services, as is normal in the UK, i.e. Financial Advisers. Or do they prefer to be called by companies offering their services?

Ha ha ha! You must be joking.

Everyone hates those sales companies that bother them by cold calling all the time. Reputable advisers get referrals and don't need to hassle people. Frankly, it's unprofessional.

Bahtatboy Feb 15th 2012 10:53 am

Not bi-curious, then?

james1966 Feb 15th 2012 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9903288)
Ha ha ha! You must be joking.

Everyone hates those sales companies that bother them by cold calling all the time. Reputable advisers get referrals and don't need to hassle people. Frankly, it's unprofessional.

A lot of companies appear to have a great deal of success doing it, I was wanting to gauge opinion on here.
Don't worry I'm not going to start phoning everyone!!!

james1966 Feb 15th 2012 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9903302)
Not bi-curious, then?

No way, ha ha

Meow Feb 15th 2012 10:56 am

Originally Posted by james1966 (Post 9903304)
A lot of companies appear to have a great deal of success doing it, I was wanting to gauge opinion on here.
Don't worry I'm not going to start phoning everyone!!!

Define 'success'. Yes there are plenty of gullible people who fall for the sales spiel, but it isn't professional.

:thumbdown:

james1966 Feb 15th 2012 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9903310)
Define 'success'. Yes there are plenty of gullible people who fall for the sales spiel, but it isn't professional.

:thumbdown:

"Success" to them is people agreeing to meet with them to discuss their finances, and probably do business.
I do agree with you, there are many better ways to do business.

Meow Feb 15th 2012 11:03 am

Originally Posted by james1966 (Post 9903314)
"Success" to them is people agreeing to meet with them to discuss their finances, and probably do business.
I do agree with you, there are many better ways to do business.

You mean by flogging unsuitable 25 year savings plans that only benefit the salesperson...

james1966 Feb 15th 2012 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9903315)
You mean by flogging unsuitable 25 year savings plans that only benefit the salesperson...

I was discussing this with somebody last week, they were very critical of the products. I told them that basically the products are ok, it's the way they are sold that isn't.

Bahtatboy Feb 15th 2012 11:20 am

They don't have any success with me, nor with any of my friends (as far as I'm aware), and when the topic's being raised here the pretty-much unanimous view has been "Don't call me, I'll call you."

Meow Feb 15th 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by james1966 (Post 9903319)
I was discussing this with somebody last week, they were very critical of the products. I told them that basically the products are ok, it's the way they are sold that isn't.

A 25 year offshore savings plan is NOT okay for 99% of people. Perhaps you don't understand the tax implications for people returning to the UK? Few sales people do sadly, hence all the mis-selling.

james1966 Feb 15th 2012 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9903338)
They don't have any success with me, nor with any of my friends (as far as I'm aware), and when the topic's being raised here the pretty-much unanimous view has been "Don't call me, I'll call you."

Yes that's my preferred method, each to their own I suppose. In the UK everybody complained about double glazing companies, but still plenty of folk would buy from them.

james1966 Feb 15th 2012 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9903341)
A 25 year offshore savings plan is NOT okay for 99% of people. Perhaps you don't understand the tax implications for people returning to the UK? Few sales people do sadly, hence all the mis-selling.

I do understand the implications, and I was agreeing with you regarding 25 year terms.

Bahtatboy Feb 15th 2012 11:27 am

In the UK everybody complained about double glazing companies, but still plenty of folk would buy from them.

Nice analogy.:sneaky:

james1966 Feb 15th 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9903352)
In the UK everybody complained about double glazing companies, but still plenty of folk would buy from them.

Nice analogy.:sneaky:

Just an observation, I was amazed by the people that bought from companies that cold called them.