Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jumeirah Lake Towers....and others

Jumeirah Lake Towers....and others

Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jumeirah Lake Towers....and others

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
In a way, it's a bit like areas of London - there's a fine line between Blackheath and Kidbrooke! Saying that, there's nowhere like Kidbrooke here... and nowhere like Blackheath. lol
I live near Blackheath - well Greenwich anyways

Summer in blackheath park - nice way to spend sunday afternoon

Agree with you on the kidbrooke side..
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zaaboot
Thanks again - looking on the map it is walking distance to office (not that the heat would allow that)

It is a hard decision as with everything else around upping sticks and moving.
I think it is narrowed to down to a few areas - I will check them all out when I am over and take it from there

Z
Don't made any firm decisions until you have seen the areas properly and checked them out. Maps, agents and even other people's opinions can be very misleading.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

zaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
A map here in Dubai can be deceptive, even to the tune of interchanges that aren't quite built yet, road layouts that've changed and all kinds.

In a way, it's a bit like areas of London - there's a fine line between Blackheath and Kidbrooke! Saying that, there's nowhere like Kidbrooke here... and nowhere like Blackheath. lol

You really need to come out and decide when you're here. The long list of facilities often is just copy/paste of the sales pitch and should be laughed at, rather than taken as gospel.

JLT is a building site, but the spaces are being filled in month on month. The same goes for the Marina, which has a couple of years more seniority - at least at the Dubai end... as you get further towards Jebel Ali, the more of a building site it becomes, and rents drop accordingly.

Keep your mind open and just visit properties - choose some in areas that you wouldn't have put on your shortlist... you may have a pleasant surprise. Don't worry about wasting agents' time... they'll happily waste yours! I once visited an apartment adn the agent hadn't even bothered checking it out - it turned out it only had one bedroom instead of the two that were advertised... AND she was late!
Cheers Hello.Kitty!
I have been coming to Dubai for work every quarter for a week for the past four or so years, and as a visitor the changes are immense - I think that this is what I will do is get a short-list of areas, and a couple of randoms as you say.

Is there any benefit of taking a national with me? A very good school ( and then Uni) friend of mine is a national - will the door open for better offers, more open to bartering or is it not worth the effort trying to synch an agent, a national and myself at the same time in the same place as timing is clearly no ones strong point out there

Speaking with him has helped on many things, but there is a big difference in income between the two of us and the areas e says are nice, are very very nice - for footballers. So the (ex-pat) housing side of things is not really his forte
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Zaboot,

I'm in Tecom and have been quite happy here- have been in the same apartment for nearly a year and a half. There's a lot more facilities here than when I first moved here and the roads are mostly finished now. There are some good bars here (and some bad ones), you're a stone throw from The Greens, metro station- just across the bridge into Media city, easy access onto SZR and the prices are supposedly coming down- however I am the worst negotiator in the world and my rent actually went up a teeny bit this year- anyway I pay 65K a year in 4 cheques (I am sure everyone will say I pay over the odds) for 800 sq ft, non furnished, air con included, roof top pool, roof top gym and one of the better quality finishes (although was surprised to find my ceiling is plasterboard, but not a surprised as the sparky hanging my light fittings). Im right next door to a supermarket and everyone delivers here and even taxi drivers are starting to learn where it is! I could have found furnished for the same price but all the places I saw where too masculine for my taste (you cant beat a zebra print rug and red chandeliers for class!). They do for some reason seem to be switching the water off a fair bit whilst they do some 'essential' water works but its always during the day during the week so doesn't bother me. Anyway I like it here- everyones quite friendly, and I think its better than JLT or JBR or the marina in my opinion. My building is just over a third full so lots of places available. If you wanted to view it I can put you in touch with my landlord (who owns the whole building). Also try 'move in dubai'- speak to Andrew- he was fab with me and they are commission free.

Good luck!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:10 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I pay 65K a year in 4 cheques (I am sure everyone will say I pay over the odds) for 800 sq ft, non furnished, air con included, roof top pool, roof top gym and one of the better quality finishes (although was surprised to find my ceiling is plasterboard, but not a surprised as the sparky hanging my light fittings). Im right next door to a supermarket and everyone delivers here and even taxi drivers are starting to learn where it is! I could have found furnished for the same price but all the places I saw where too masculine for my taste (you cant beat a zebra print rug and red chandeliers for class!). They do for some reason seem to be switching the water off a fair bit whilst they do some 'essential' water works but its always during the day during the week so doesn't bother me. Anyway I like it here- everyones quite friendly, and I think its better than JLT or JBR or the marina in my opinion. My building is just over a third full so lots of places available. If you wanted to view it I can put you in touch with my landlord (who owns the whole building). Also try 'move in dubai'- speak to Andrew- he was fab with me and they are commission free.Good luck!
Not sure how many bedrooms you have but a friend of mine pays only 50K for a nice one bed apartment with pool/gym access in Dubai Marina directly opposite Barasti.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just in a one bed- like I said I may well be paying over the odds- other people in my building are paying the same though- obviously we all have muppet written on our foreheads! But I like it here and hate moving. The marina was cheaper than here when I was first looking but this place felt like home when I saw it so thatll do me .
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. Kittykat got royally screwed. 65K for a one bed in Tecom? I pay 60K for a 800 square foot apartment in a fancy highrise tower in the Greens with golf course views and chilled/heated pools, gyms etc.

I have a friend who just signed for a 800 sqft apartment in Zumurud Tower in the Marina. Very nice view, very nice finishes. He's paying 50K!

Originally Posted by lionheart
Not sure how many bedrooms you have but a friend of mine pays only 50K for a nice one bed apartment with pool/gym access in Dubai Marina directly opposite Barasti.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:21 am
Account Closed

The only Marina apartments that could have possibly been cheaper than the more expensive Tecom ones are the Marina Diamonds. They are shit, no mistake about it.

I'm just in a one bed- like I said I may well be paying over the odds- other people in my building are paying the same though- obviously we all have muppet written on our foreheads! But I like it here and hate moving. The marina was cheaper than here when I was first looking but this place felt like home when I saw it so thatll do me .
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well thanks guys- normally I like to know when Im getting screwed but not in this case. Also didn't help I had two weeks during Ramadan to find somewhere to live- didn't know anyone here or what was where, so I was a shooting in the dark a bit, anyway like I said I like it here, and having a personal space Im happy in is important to me so not worth worrying about now and I HATE moving!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:32 am
Account Closed

That's ok, darling. You're our favourite muppet!

well thanks guys- normally I like to know when Im getting screwed but not in this case. Also didn't help I had two weeks during Ramadan to find somewhere to live- didn't know anyone here or what was where, so I was a shooting in the dark a bit, anyway like I said I like it here, and having a personal space Im happy in is important to me so not worth worrying about now and I HATE moving!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's ok, darling. You're our favourite muppet!
ah well that makes it ok then! >>sticks a bit more bleach on her head<<
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

zaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the rough

Hiya Zaboot,

I'm in Tecom and have been quite happy here- have been in the same apartment for nearly a year and a half. There's a lot more facilities here than when I first moved here and the roads are mostly finished now. There are some good bars here (and some bad ones), you're a stone throw from The Greens, metro station- just across the bridge into Media city, easy access onto SZR and the prices are supposedly coming down- however I am the worst negotiator in the world and my rent actually went up a teeny bit this year- anyway I pay 65K a year in 4 cheques (I am sure everyone will say I pay over the odds) for 800 sq ft, non furnished, air con included, roof top pool, roof top gym and one of the better quality finishes (although was surprised to find my ceiling is plasterboard, but not a surprised as the sparky hanging my light fittings). Im right next door to a supermarket and everyone delivers here and even taxi drivers are starting to learn where it is! I could have found furnished for the same price but all the places I saw where too masculine for my taste (you cant beat a zebra print rug and red chandeliers for class!). They do for some reason seem to be switching the water off a fair bit whilst they do some 'essential' water works but its always during the day during the week so doesn't bother me. Anyway I like it here- everyones quite friendly, and I think its better than JLT or JBR or the marina in my opinion. My building is just over a third full so lots of places available. If you wanted to view it I can put you in touch with my landlord (who owns the whole building). Also try 'move in dubai'- speak to Andrew- he was fab with me and they are commission free.

Good luck!
Hey kittycat1 - thanks, I agree some of the pictures on the furnished apartments would fit very well in Peter Stringfellow abode

When I know the dates of when I am over I will PM you so you can put me in touch with the landlord to have a view of some of the apartments.

I will be looking for a two bed - preferably not open plan kitchen.
Time flies so I am researching as much as possible for stuff that when visiting normally would be of no interest. As it stands I do not think i am far of understanding most things - but housing seems to be the big one. All the villas look the same, the pictures are all the same ones just put up on different adverts. So Mrs Z and I agreed to go for Apartment until we settle in then go for Villa if appropriate at the time.

Cheers
Z
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You could always go into hotel apartments whilst you think about it rather than signing up for a year contract- I had planned on doing that, but I needed to commit or I would have gone back to the UK - anyway worked out fine for me- but alot of the hotel apartments have deals on at the moment- then you can suss out where you like with no pressure.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:46 am
Account Closed

Kitty darling, I know which building you're in. Right next to Carrefour, correct? Which way does your apartment face? Can you see the Greens? If so you will see my building and I do have Tecom views as well. I just realised we could probably send mysterious light signals to one another, leaving everyone in between in puzzlement.

ah well that makes it ok then! >>sticks a bit more bleach on her head<<
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

STALKER!

I face the road- and can see into the Greens- gets binoculars out- are you wearing tighty whiteys Ethos?

Wonder if your in the same building as my mate? New building down the road form Carabou coffee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.