Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Johann Hari - The Dark Side Of Dubai article

Johann Hari - The Dark Side Of Dubai article

Old Apr 11th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johann Hari - The Dark Side Of Dubai article

The article is not without some sad truth, but overall it's just another "attack" piece on Dubai. Any monkey can write an article like this. (Hey TA5, why don't you give it a go?)

Since America and Britain are so financially screwed, it probably feels great to dump on the people you've been jealous of for all these years!!! I'm sure we'll see more.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seven seas
This kind of stuff is what a lot of the Arabs have been saying for years. Do you have any Arab co-workers who get even half of what you earn? We know all the reasons but it still creates a certain level of tension.

Hari could have spoken to the thousands who DON'T abuse maids, who don't act like ****s, who actually treat others properly and aren't caricatures out of some Bernard Manning joke. He could have mentioned the fact that Helping Hands exists at all. He could have interviewed some of the people who are succeeding- I know one woman who put her youngest through private school, bought her eldest son a taxi (ie a job and a livelihood) and married off her two daughters while working here. And bought herself a couple of flats. She's living off the rental income from one of them.

But he's right about sustainability. By the end of the year, we're gonna be hearing that word more often, because a certain someone's uncle is interested in it. It disgusts me that four million gallons of water are required for that golf course each day.
Dubai is stagnant pool of green slimey algae, some people go and drink from it.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:09 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
The article is not without some sad truth, but overall it's just another "attack" piece on Dubai. Any monkey can write an article like this. (Hey TA5, why don't you give it a go?)

Since America and Britain are so financially screwed, it probably feels great to dump on the people you've been jealous of for all these years!!! I'm sure we'll see more.
Well i've been saying all the things written in that article for years, and when people ask me what dubai is like, since i returned in 2006 I describe it pretty much the way Johann did it in the article. Unfortunately Dubai's propaganda machine continued working for years and thanks to huge advertising contracts with newspapers around the world nobody dared speak a bad word about Dubai. You are right, any monkey can write that piece now that the smoke and mirrors are gone and the real dubai is shining brightly.

Jealous, nice try, but we were glad to take their money while they still had any.

And in terms of financially screwed, the US and even the UK are not even close to Dubai in terms of trouble. Dubai is basically an insolvent bank that just got bailed out. The new dress code? That's AD putting their foot down now that they basically own 90% of dubai.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
Well i've been saying all the things written in that article for years, and when people ask me what dubai is like, since i returned in 2006 I describe it pretty much the way Johann did it in the article. Unfortunately Dubai's propaganda machine continued working for years and thanks to huge advertising contracts with newspapers around the world nobody dared speak a bad word about Dubai. You are right, any monkey can write that piece now that the smoke and mirrors are gone and the real dubai is shining brightly.

Jealous, nice try, but we were glad to take their money while they still had any.

And in terms of financially screwed, the US and even the UK are not even close to Dubai in terms of trouble. Dubai is basically an insolvent bank that just got bailed out. The new dress code? That's AD putting their foot down now that they basically own 90% of dubai.
What difference does it make who owns what? I'm personally happy that the UAE government was so quick to buy Dubai's bonds. It's great news, unless you hate Dubai.

You should take a hard look at your own country before dumping on this one -

Have you visited the homeless camps forming all over USA? Check 'em out, they're fantastic.

How about the thousands of Americans with little or no healthcare?

What about the thousands of empty homes all over the country? ($500 will get you a place in Detroit if you're brave enough to live there!)

What about USA's $11 Trillion debt? (Now growing by nearly $4 Billion per day!!)

What's going to happen when GM, Ford, Chrysler, Citibank, or BofA crash?

Have you looked at the NYSE lately?

What are you going to do when USA's money-printing has rendered your currency worthless? You're going to pay for imports how? How do you like $100 oil?

What's going to happen if there's another 9/11? Can USA afford another war?
If an attack didn't ruin America, America's response probably would!

Maybe you can kid yourself, but you're not kidding any of us - America ain't as pretty as she used to be.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:26 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

What difference does it make who owns what? I'm personally happy that the UAE government was so quick to buy Dubai's bonds. It's great news, unless you hate Dubai.

Have you visited the homeless camps forming all over USA? Check 'em out, they're fantastic.

What about the thousands of empty homes all over the country? ($500 will get you a place in Detroit if you're brave enough to live there!)

What about USA's $11 Trillion debt? (Now growing by nearly $4 Billion per day!!)

What are you going to do when USA's money-printing has rendered your currency worthless? You're going to pay for imports how? How do you like $100 oil?

Maybe you can kid yourself, but you're not kidding any of us - America ain't as pretty as she used to be.

Apparently you missed this...are you Sultan?

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...t-1667373.html
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:36 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

this is not about America, its about Dubai and it is a friggin dump. People with any sense are here for the money only, not the breathtaking scenery, lovely local people, cheap bars and restaurants...

It is a 3rd world dump. why am i here? (UAE that is as i live in AD)

good tax free salary, free housing and car and a swimming pool for my nipper to play in. End of.

So i accept it....

if your not happy and your main vocation is Dubai bashing then for pete's sake go somewhere else to live, life is short people, move on....nothing to see here.

This is the new BE Middle East

1. Gize a job
2. Price of accommodation
3. Dubai Bashing
4. Im in construction and just been sacked
5. Support groups for the above
6. Flirting by the same old same old

Change the ****ing record..
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:07 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
This is the new BE Middle East

1. Gize a job
2. Price of accommodation
3. Dubai Bashing
4. Im in construction and just been sacked
5. Support groups for the above
6. Flirting by the same old same old

Change the ****ing record..
so what exactly would you like to talk about?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:11 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
what colour of pants you are not wearing
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:15 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

bike racing and Scottish Food
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:17 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
what colour of pants you are not wearing
you just make me google images for underwear...so I might be a while...
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:17 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
bike racing and Scottish Food
wake me up when it's over...
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

no problem
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:23 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was "pull my nightie down when it's finished".
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:31 am
banned

is that a promise...