Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Doha - Advice please!

Job offer in Doha - Advice please!

Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:53 am
Just Joined

kirvana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in Doha - Advice please!

Hello there, I have recently been offered a job with Qatar Airways. The package includes (all in monthly figures),

- Riyal 17,500 base salary
- Riyal 1,200 transport allowance
- Riyal 300 utility allowance
- Free accommodation
- Education allowance up to Riyal 4,000 when kid is 4/5 yo

It would be great if you could advise if we can live in this package with some savings for a family of 3 (wife not working with a six month old kid). We don't normally go out in London and our current monthly savings is about GBP500 after all bills/mortgage/expenses.

Many thanks!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Doha - Advice please!

That's pretty damn good for pushing a trolly!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Is that all a pilot gets paid these days ?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:21 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirvana
Hello there, I have recently been offered a job with Qatar Airways. The package includes (all in monthly figures),

- Riyal 17,500 base salary
- Riyal 1,200 transport allowance
- Riyal 300 utility allowance
- Free accommodation
- Education allowance up to Riyal 4,000 when kid is 4/5 yo

It would be great if you could advise if we can live in this package with some savings for a family of 3 (wife not working with a six month old kid). We don't normally go out in London and our current monthly savings is about GBP500 after all bills/mortgage/expenses.

Many thanks!
Looks doable, but get out here and start working before the UK tax year ends, otherwise you'll need to be here for 2 years ('till 6 April '14) to avoid being hit with UK income tax and NI.

A car will cost you QR3k/m to hire and run, so factor that in.

The accommodation should be nice, QA have just leased the whole of the newly built Barwa City development for their staff. Easy access to the Airport, but next to the graveyard and the Industrial Area.

Good luck with your decision.

[J]
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Looks doable, but get out here and start working before the UK tax year ends, otherwise you'll need to be here for 2 years ('till 6 April '14) to avoid being hit with UK income tax and NI.

A car will cost you QR3k/m to hire and run, so factor that in.

The accommodation should be nice, QA have just leased the whole of the newly built Barwa City development for their staff. Easy access to the Airport, but next to the graveyard and the Industrial Area.

Good luck with your decision.

[J]
Barwa city is fu**ing toilet mate and getting to the airport from there could take an hour all depending on traffic .

The F and G ring roads will be built through there in the next 2 years . You'd be a fool to put your family up in that shit hole.

The OP is saving 500GBP a month now and his expenses will be high here and he'll be in the middle of the industrial area if that is the case . Personally i would check out what and where the accomadation is , i find it hard to believe that they would put expats up there but anything is possible with these people.

Qatar Airways use a variety of different places for there staff , most of them owned by there CEO ( nice work if you can get it) but you need to get that clarified.

For a family of 3 the deals still shit

Last edited by co durham boy; Mar 27th 2012 at 4:05 am.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:59 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Barwa city is fu**ing toilet mate and getting to the airport from there could take an hour all depending on traffic .

The F and G ring roads will be built through there in the next 2 years . You'd be a fool to put your family up in that shit hole.

The OP is saving 500GBP a month now and his expenses will be high here and he'll be in the middle of the industrial area if that is the case . Personally i would check out what and where the accomadation is , i find it hard to believe that they would put expats up there but anything is possible with these people.

Qatar Airways use a variety of different places for there staff , most of them owned by there CEO ( nice work if you can get it) but you need to get that clarified.

But if he never went out in London and saved 500 a month, If he never went out here he should be able to save atleast 1k a month??

I just hope he really gets on with his wife as they will be bored to tears staying at home day in day out.........

If he chucks bags about all day or waves lolly pops at 737's maybe its a good deal?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Originally Posted by britexpat76
But if he never went out in London and saved 500 a month, If he never went out here he should be able to save atleast 1k a month??

I just hope he really gets on with his wife as they will be bored to tears staying at home day in day out.........

If he chucks bags about all day or waves lolly pops at 737's maybe its a good deal?
waving lollypops at jets when it is 47C and humid??
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:04 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

But you'd only be 10mins from the all important Qatar Distribution Company and could buy crisps and nuts at Safari Mall on the way home. Am I missing something here?

[J]
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

kirvana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your reply! They are very useful for me to decide whether to progress to the next stage.

I don't think I have the shape to push a trolley or the courage to wave lollypops under 47c ... This will be an office based analyst type of work. Tend to negotiate for a higher base salary.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
But you'd only be 10mins from the all important Qatar Distribution Company and could buy crisps and nuts at Safari Mall on the way home. Am I missing something here?

[J]
Ha ha , your right there mate . The Safari mall , the stench of meat from their unhygenic butchery counter is a joy to behold .

Nearly as bad as the slaughterhouse on Wholesale Market Street , the scream of the animals as the rusty blade cuts across the windpipe is a sound that never leaves your mind as well as the stench of rotten enntrails.

Never go there with flip flops on
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Ha ha , your right there mate . The Safari mall , the stench of meat from their unhygenic butchery counter is a joy to behold .

Nearly as bad as the slaughterhouse on Wholesale Market Street , the scream of the animals as the rusty blade cuts across the windpipe is a sound that never leaves your mind as well as the stench of rotten enntrails.

Never go there with flip flops on
Hehehe-i used to live in that awful compund behind the notorious safari supermarket (Can't call it a mall) and you're right about the meat section!!! Used to buy from the family food centre near the airport, which was a bit cleaner looking...anyway gotta go now, I am going to a little roadside restaurant to have my khao kha moo (pork leg rice with a bit of veggies and egg and rice) and a light beer....(with real alcohol in it)
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:13 am
Just Joined

turney is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently live in Doha so drop me your contact details via the private section and I'll give you any info you want to know.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turney
I currently live in Doha so drop me your contact details via the private section and I'll give you any info you want to know.
Or you could post helpful info publicly on the forums like everyone else....lest you want to appear like a dodgy spammer...
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Barwa City..is that the one between the airport and Wakrah?
I was under the impression it was built for low income family housing.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:53 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Originally Posted by Alexa
Barwa City..is that the one between the airport and Wakrah?
I was under the impression it was built for low income family housing.
Sort of, it's quite a bit inland, and about half way along Al Muntazah Street between Woqood Roundabout and the Industrial Area and on the left hand side as you head south. Heres a piccy of the housing units (not sure if villas or apartments).

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Mar 31st 2012 at 4:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.