Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job Application Protocol

Job Application Protocol

Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:13 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Application Protocol

I should know this, but...

Applied for a job online directly to the employing company on their website. I've determined (I think) who the head of recruitment of the company is, via LinkedIn. Too pushy to re-send my application directly to him?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Application Protocol

Not too pushy. Shows you're a tenacious old bugger. Good.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't cold call with the CV again. I would just delete the email - better to invite him out for a nice warm latte.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I wouldn't cold call with the CV again. I would just delete the email - better to invite him out for a nice warm latte.
**** that.

Send it again.

I read CVs I've had directly because they are normal looking emails before I look at the hoards of applicants.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

HOARDS of money saved in the ME

HORDES of Liverpool supporters

Teachers ! Don't you love them ?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by scot47
HOARDS of money saved in the ME

HORDES of Liverpool supporters

Teachers ! Don't you love them ?
Thankes. Nevere knewe aboute thate extrae 'e'.

BTW...Bahtat, don't do what the Indian feller just did to me. Email replying at 4pm yesterday. Send again at 9am today. Phone the office and speak to the nice Filipina lady and scream asking why she wants to know your name, then scream demanding to be transferred...that's not cool
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Thankes. Nevere knewe aboute thate extrae 'e'.

BTW...Bahtat, don't do what the Indian feller just did to me. Email replying at 4pm yesterday. Send again at 9am today. Phone the office and speak to the nice Filipina lady and scream asking why she wants to know your name, then scream demanding to be transferred...that's not cool
No way. I have someone who screams for me.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
No way. I have someone who screams for me.
Oh, get them on the blower then.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Oh, get them on the blower then.
Just not while they're blowing?

Anyway, if you know who's doing the hiring, a polite little shout out to ask if they've gotten your details and here they are again in case not isn't a problem.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:28 pm
Hit 16's

Thanks all. Was just going to do it, only to discover that I'm only a 2nd degree (non) contact with the HR guy on LinkedIn, and can't get his email address. Searched the rest of the internet for it, including the company's website, and can't find it or the format they use. Could, of course, try every likely combination (somewhat complicated in that he uses an abbreviated first name).

Any suggestions how to find out what a company's email address structure is when their website and employees' details seem to be very well protected?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. Was just going to do it, only to discover that I'm only a 2nd degree (non) contact with the HR guy on LinkedIn, and can't get his email address. Searched the rest of the internet for it, including the company's website, and can't find it or the format they use. Could, of course, try every likely combination (somewhat complicated in that he uses an abbreviated first name).

Any suggestions how to find out what a company's email address structure is when their website and employees' details seem to be very well protected?
you have your answer then.

If I were you, I would send him a linkedin invite - with a message saying that you are interested in a role and you would like to meet for coffee. Shows the same level of initiative and if he responds and you meet for a drink you will gain a lot more traction than punting in a CV to an unknown email address.

I've just finished reviewing 300 CVs. I have 4 I'm willing to interview + 3 given to me that I 'must' interview. CVs, I would add, that I would have screened - such is the power of a coffee and a bit of initiative...
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Ring and ask the switchboard?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Try all possible combinations you can think of and put them in the 'bcc'.

Fred Smith might be [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] etc etc............. one of them will get through, and he probably won't notice that he was a 'bcc' recipient. My system at work doesn't highlight that.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

FedEx.