British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Job Application Protocol (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/job-application-protocol-785506/)

Bahtatboy Jan 29th 2013 7:13 am

Job Application Protocol

I should know this, but...

Applied for a job online directly to the employing company on their website. I've determined (I think) who the head of recruitment of the company is, via LinkedIn. Too pushy to re-send my application directly to him?

flares Jan 29th 2013 7:39 am

Re: Job Application Protocol

Not too pushy. Shows you're a tenacious old bugger. Good.

Millhouse Jan 29th 2013 7:44 am

I wouldn't cold call with the CV again. I would just delete the email - better to invite him out for a nice warm latte.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 29th 2013 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10512020)
I wouldn't cold call with the CV again. I would just delete the email - better to invite him out for a nice warm latte.

**** that.

Send it again.

I read CVs I've had directly because they are normal looking emails before I look at the hoards of applicants.

scot47 Jan 29th 2013 9:02 am

HOARDS of money saved in the ME

HORDES of Liverpool supporters

Teachers ! Don't you love them ?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 29th 2013 9:28 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10512117)
HOARDS of money saved in the ME

HORDES of Liverpool supporters

Teachers ! Don't you love them ?

Thankes. Nevere knewe aboute thate extrae 'e'.

:rofl:

BTW...Bahtat, don't do what the Indian feller just did to me. Email replying at 4pm yesterday. Send again at 9am today. Phone the office and speak to the nice Filipina lady and scream asking why she wants to know your name, then scream demanding to be transferred...that's not cool :thumbdown:

Bahtatboy Jan 29th 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10512144)
Thankes. Nevere knewe aboute thate extrae 'e'.

:rofl:

BTW...Bahtat, don't do what the Indian feller just did to me. Email replying at 4pm yesterday. Send again at 9am today. Phone the office and speak to the nice Filipina lady and scream asking why she wants to know your name, then scream demanding to be transferred...that's not cool :thumbdown:

No way. I have someone who screams for me.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 29th 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10512230)
No way. I have someone who screams for me.

Oh, get them on the blower then.

Bob Jan 29th 2013 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10512235)
Oh, get them on the blower then.

Just not while they're blowing?

Anyway, if you know who's doing the hiring, a polite little shout out to ask if they've gotten your details and here they are again in case not isn't a problem.

Bahtatboy Jan 29th 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks all. Was just going to do it, only to discover that I'm only a 2nd degree (non) contact with the HR guy on LinkedIn, and can't get his email address. Searched the rest of the internet for it, including the company's website, and can't find it or the format they use. Could, of course, try every likely combination (somewhat complicated in that he uses an abbreviated first name).

Any suggestions how to find out what a company's email address structure is when their website and employees' details seem to be very well protected?

Millhouse Jan 29th 2013 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10512545)
Thanks all. Was just going to do it, only to discover that I'm only a 2nd degree (non) contact with the HR guy on LinkedIn, and can't get his email address. Searched the rest of the internet for it, including the company's website, and can't find it or the format they use. Could, of course, try every likely combination (somewhat complicated in that he uses an abbreviated first name).

Any suggestions how to find out what a company's email address structure is when their website and employees' details seem to be very well protected?

you have your answer then.

If I were you, I would send him a linkedin invite - with a message saying that you are interested in a role and you would like to meet for coffee. Shows the same level of initiative and if he responds and you meet for a drink you will gain a lot more traction than punting in a CV to an unknown email address.

I've just finished reviewing 300 CVs. I have 4 I'm willing to interview + 3 given to me that I 'must' interview. CVs, I would add, that I would have screened - such is the power of a coffee and a bit of initiative...

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 29th 2013 6:04 pm

Ring and ask the switchboard?

The Dean Feb 2nd 2013 3:56 am

Try all possible combinations you can think of and put them in the 'bcc'.

Fred Smith might be [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] etc etc............. one of them will get through, and he probably won't notice that he was a 'bcc' recipient. My system at work doesn't highlight that.

LaLaLayla Feb 2nd 2013 5:28 am

FedEx.