JKS and Jeddah

Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

aloha123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile JKS and Jeddah

Hi guys,

I am currently in the UK and have been offered a teaching job in Jeddah Knowledge International School.

Anyone know anything about a teacher's life in this school? Also, what is Jeddah like for a young single male.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice
Default Re: JKS and Jeddah

Originally Posted by aloha123
Hi guys,

I am currently in the UK and have been offered a teaching job in Jeddah Knowledge International School.

Anyone know anything about a teacher's life in this school? Also, what is Jeddah like for a young single male.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Saudi is a very strict and backward Country. The lifestyle does not suit a young single male (or any single male in fact).
Simple things like having a girl in your car (except family) will land you in jail and you will have your head cut off
There are no women in public only Jawa traders.

My advice is don't go !! Try and find a job in Dubai or even Abu Dhabi/Qatar.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Life is restricted but I did not hear of any beheadings for that reason ! No women in public ? Ridiculous.

Make sure you have reasonable accommodation. You CAN have a social life in Jeddah.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by scot47
Life is restricted but I did not hear of any beheadings for that reason ! No women in public ? Ridiculous.

Make sure you have reasonable accommodation. You CAN have a social life in Jeddah.
The beheading was a joke

The women must wear an 'Abaya' while in public as sample photo here
Attached Thumbnails JKS and Jeddah-jawa-trader.jpg  
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Life is tough for a single guy in Jeddah. If accomadation in a western compound comes with the job it wont be too bad. Take a few books, music, films etc with you as you will need something to relieve the boredom. I lived outside a compound and it was hard going. Plus I had a family back home in the UK who I missed greatly. I suspect the salary will be very good when compared to the UK so the trade-off for you (as with everyone else) will be;

very good salary v sh!t lifestyle.

My residency visa didnt granted and to be honest I was very glad it didn't as I had the perfect excuse not to go back once my business visa expired.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a network that you can hook into. Living in an apartment can be a drag - if you are, then look at getting membership of Italian Club in Baghdadiyah. Sport facilities plus a place to chill out and meet others.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Plenty of expat teachers at JKS - so wouldn't think you would have trouble getting into a social network. Besides which most teachers I know also tutor privately on the side and so it is easy to 'fill up' the time.

JKS (as far as I know) have a little more 'interference' by the Saudi government than the big 3 (Conti, JPGS, ASJ) and so they work a school year that is based around arab holidays (you will teach over Xmas / Easter - while the other 3 are on term break). It also means that potentially there are boys and girls classes - definitely in secondary - maybe in primary.

None (or few) Saudis at the school due to government restrictions, but lots of other arab nationalities and people from all over, whose first language may or may not be English.

Can't speak about their resourcing - but if it is like other schools there will not necessarily be much there and virtually impossible to buy anything in KSA so bring lots of resources (I advise in e-format) and/or links to good websites - stickers and anything else (other than 'normal' stationary) that you like to use in your classroom.

Last edited by dragonladyoz; Apr 15th 2013 at 3:54 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good place to get information is the British Community Library in the British Conulate. They have BOOKS too !
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Good place to get information is the British Community Library in the British Conulate. They have BOOKS too !
Books? Non-islamic tomes? I thought such progressive thinking was haram...
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is housed in the Consulate to keep the Bearded Ones away. It used to be in one of the schools (Conti or Jeddah Prep, cant remeber which) and they had problems with the Pious Ones. so - about 25 years ago they moved to a room in the Consulate.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

It is housed in the Consulate to keep the Bearded Ones away. It used to be in one of the schools (Conti or Jeddah Prep, cant remeber which) and they had problems with the Pious Ones. so - about 25 years ago they moved to a room in the Consulate.
Hmm! Interesting. I dare say you've seen the obnoxious Bearded One being wheeled off from the UAE demonstration. What do you think of that?
Also Prince Talal saying women should drive, as it would reduce the dependency on foriegn drivers - it was in 15/04 Independent- could be intresting, as he is influential, or perhaps, appears to be influential....
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I saw both. I think women driving might be some way off, They could probably get awy with it in Jeddah, but Riyadh...............
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I saw both. I think women driving might be some way off, They could probably get awy with it in Jeddah, but Riyadh...............
Yes, well, Riyadh was always the oasis of backwards thinking....
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Jouloum is an unknown quantity at this point

I need help .. I have also been offered a job in JKS .. but I am local .. May I just ask if what you think of what they told me .. I have a degee and Master one in the arts of english literature completed in Lebanon plus 6 official years of experience .. I am a native speaker with a british passport .. they told me the maximum pay they give is 1800$ whereas through posts on the internet I read that they give up to 3600$ .. how may you comment?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Salary lower because of your nationality. Did you expect better treatment from your Muslim brethren ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.