British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Jet skis banned from Abu Dhabi beaches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/jet-skis-banned-abu-dhabi-beaches-804651/)

csdf Jul 31st 2013 9:43 am

Jet skis banned from Abu Dhabi beaches

Awesome: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...dhabi-corniche

Let's hope this isn't one of those rules they rescind after two weeks.

Meow Jul 31st 2013 10:01 am

Re: Jet skis banned from Abu Dhabi beaches

Good.

Horrible noisy things. Hope they get banned in Dubai too.

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 5:49 am

This is a good thing given most of the people who use them don't seem to understand that piloting the skis at high speed near boats isn't welcome. The number of times I've been out and a couple of twats decide to whiz up really close and shake the boat with their wake is stupefying...they drive jet skis like they drive cars.

Hope it stays in place. They can have a designated area for jet skis somewhere else so swimmers and boaters can be left in peace.

N.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 6:17 am

I love jet skis they're great fun! I also love power boats (was on one all weekend) and I also sailed (raced for 4 seasons) and I love that too.

The problem is, when you are on a sailing boat you hate power boats and jet skis, then when you are on a power boat, you just hate jet skis.

So all in all everyone hates jet skis when you're on something else, however they're good fun and if ridden with a bit of common sense and respect there should be no problem. The issue is that its young Arabs generally who ride them and similar to how they are on the road they ride them using no common sense and no respect.

Meow Aug 4th 2013 6:37 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834177)
I love jet skis they're great fun! I also love power boats (was on one all weekend) and I also sailed (raced for 4 seasons) and I love that too.

The problem is, when you are on a sailing boat you hate power boats and jet skis, then when you are on a power boat, you just hate jet skis.

So all in all everyone hates jet skis when you're on something else, however they're good fun and if ridden with a bit of common sense and respect there should be no problem. The issue is that its young Arabs generally who ride them and similar to how they are on the road they ride them using no common sense and no respect.

Jetskis are noise pollution and used by idiots. I feel much the same about power boats.

Norm suggests a designated area for them. I suggest this should be in the middle of a Pacific Ocean.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10834194)
Jetskis are noise pollution and used by idiots. I feel much the same about power boats.

Norm suggests a designated area for them. I suggest this should be in the middle of a Pacific Ocean.

Just because your not a fan doesn't mean they should be banned! Have you ever even been on one? You never know, you may even enjoy yourself. :eek: They're great fun and if that makes me an idiot then so be it.:zzz:

Also, they're no more noise pollution than circuit based motor sport.

I myself am not a fan of....... people who have loud badly behaved kids / walk aimlessly at 0.5 mph, 2-3 abreast along pavements / through malls etc. These bafoons should be banned and then shot then banned and shot again!

Each to their own eh...

Norm_uk Aug 4th 2013 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834313)
Just because your not a fan doesn't mean they should be banned! Have you ever even been on one? You never know, you may even enjoy yourself. :eek: They're great fun and if that makes me an idiot then so be it.:zzz:

I myself am not a fan of....... people who have loud badly behaved kids / walk aimlessly at 0.5 mph, 2-3 abreast along pavements / through malls etc. These bafoons should be banned and then shot then banned and shot again!

Each to their own eh...

I suggested designated areas - if people want to jet ski they can do so and not bother others. Really rather simple. It doesn't matter if I think jet skis are good, bad or used by idiots...like most things in life if there is no impact on others it's not my business what people do recreationally.

N.

csdf Aug 4th 2013 9:03 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834313)

Which is incredibly noisy, but at least confined to a single location. The problem with jet skis is that they're incredibly noisy, unconfined, and tend therefore to hang around areas where non jet ski users are seeking peace and quiet (i.e. beaches).

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 9:23 am

I like jet skis, well anything that can be raced with an engine. But there should be a facility, I am sure jet skiers would like clear open water for themselves without swimmers also. So it's win-win

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834341)
I suggested designated areas - if people want to jet ski they can do so and not bother others. Really rather simple. It doesn't matter if I think jet skis are good, bad or used by idiots...like most things in life if there is no impact on others it's not my business what people do recreationally.

N.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 10834385)
Which is incredibly noisy, but at least confined to a single location. The problem with jet skis is that they're incredibly noisy, unconfined, and tend therefore to hang around areas where non jet ski users are seeking peace and quiet (i.e. beaches).

Agreed, on both your points and I agree with the idea of a jet ski area, however, that wasn't what I was arguing.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10834412)
I like jet skis, well anything that can be raced with an engine.

You're exactly the same as me. Anything with a big engine and I am there! :) I love speed and power! Be it offroading, rallying, sports bikes, power boats etc etc etc. :D

Only Friday I was hammering along past The Palm at 50mph on a sweet little boat with an inboard 5.0 V8.... agggggh! Planing like a peach!

csdf Aug 4th 2013 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834545)
Agreed, on both your points and I agree with the idea of a jet ski area, however, that wasn't what I was arguing.

What were you arguing?

Millhouse Aug 4th 2013 2:31 pm

I love jet skis. As soon as Mini can ride one, I'm buying two.

bridger Aug 10th 2013 11:51 am

Maybe it is not just about noise (which is reasonable), environment safety is a possible reason in addition.

bridger Aug 10th 2013 11:51 am

Or something else...

Meow Aug 10th 2013 12:10 pm

Environmental safety?

You haven't been here long have you bridger? ;)