British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Jelly fish (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/jelly-fish-536961/)

pauldxb May 16th 2008 10:17 am

Jelly fish

When exactly is jelly fish season & are they all poisoinous, i ask because on my local beach in dubai there are already a great deal, nakheel even have boats with nets removing them from the water / beaches.

NorthernLad May 16th 2008 11:35 am

Re: Jelly fish

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 6357762)
When exactly is jelly fish season & are they all poisoinous, i ask because on my local beach in dubai there are already a great deal, nakheel even have boats with nets removing them from the water / beaches.

Should be April - June.

They are not too bad, more like bee stings.

MacScot May 16th 2008 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 6357762)

The summer appears to be the main months for increased jellyfish numbers along beaches, especially after prolonged onshore winds, which drive them shorewards. Some sting but many don't.

A reddish white variety of jellyfish, locally known as 'doll jellyfish', appear during June and July and do sting.

Portuguese men-of-war or blue bottles may also occur, these can be recognised by their distinctive blue 'sail' sticking out above the water while their long stinging tentacles are below the surface and can easily wrap around your torso or limbs.

If stung by a jelly fish, try and pull off any remaining stinging strands (you probably won't have tweezers so just use a comb or something similar, or just your fingers, which will also get stung but a much smaller area).

Some people recommend rubbing the area with sand immediately (this acts as a natural 'peeling/scrub', popping the tiny poison-blisters created by the sting and getting the painful poison out of your skin.

Whatever you do, don’t rinse them off with fresh water (use seawater), or you will set off more nematocysts. Vinegar was on the outer for a while, but apparently is still recommended to neutralise the poison. Afterwards, one current trend is to have a hot shower, as hot as you can stand for about 15 minutes. This neutralises the poison and apparently soothes the affected area.

MacScot May 16th 2008 12:15 pm

1 Attachment(s)
A June 15th 2007 quote from Madam Medusa:

'eeeuwww...jellyfish scare the sh1t out of me...MM, xx'.

Now look at her now, swimming with all these medusae !!

NorthernLad May 16th 2008 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6358141)
The summer appears to be the main months for increased jellyfish numbers along beaches, especially after prolonged onshore winds, which drive them shorewards. Some sting but many don't.

A reddish white variety of jellyfish, locally known as 'doll jellyfish', appear during June and July and do sting.

Portuguese men-of-war or blue bottles may also occur, these can be recognised by their distinctive blue 'sail' sticking out above the water while their long stinging tentacles are below the surface and can easily wrap around your torso or limbs.

If stung by a jelly fish, try and pull off any remaining stinging strands (you probably won't have tweezers so just use a comb or something similar, or just your fingers, which will also get stung but a much smaller area).

Some people recommend rubbing the area with sand immediately (this acts as a natural 'peeling/scrub', popping the tiny poison-blisters created by the sting and getting the painful poison out of your skin.

Whatever you do, don’t rinse them off with fresh water (use seawater), or you will set off more nematocysts. Vinegar was on the outer for a while, but apparently is still recommended to neutralise the poison. Afterwards, one current trend is to have a hot shower, as hot as you can stand for about 15 minutes. This neutralises the poison and apparently soothes the affected area.

I've not seen or heard of Portugese men-o-war around UAE/Oman coast?

MacScot May 16th 2008 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 6358181)
I've not seen or heard of Portugese men-o-war around UAE/Oman coast?

Rare. Some were brought in by Cyclone Gonu last year.

pauldxb May 16th 2008 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6358202)
Rare. Some were brought in by Cyclone Gonu last year.

bloody hell, they're are massive

MacScot May 16th 2008 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 6359432)
bloody hell, they're are massive

That's not them in the picture with the girl !! Bluebottles are small, about half the size of your clenched fist.

Madam Medusa May 17th 2008 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6358175)
A June 15th 2007 quote from Madam Medusa:

'eeeuwww...jellyfish scare the sh1t out of me...MM, xx'.

Now look at her now, swimming with all these medusae !!

omg, i am going to have terrible nightmares about that photo...!!

MM, xx

MacScot May 17th 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6362630)
omg, i am going to have terrible nightmares about that photo...!!

MM, xx

But they're not stingers or is the quivering jelly a Freudian thing ?

Madam Medusa May 17th 2008 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6362705)
But they're not stingers or is the quivering jelly a Freudian thing ?

i don't care that they are not stingers, i don't want them anywhere near me, lol...freudian or not...

MM, xx

Blue Cat May 17th 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6362757)
i don't care that they are not stingers, i don't want them anywhere near me, lol...freudian or not...

MM, xx

well that is the end of me and any scuba diving that was gonna happen :eek:

MacScot May 17th 2008 2:30 pm

For MM and BC the fear of jellyfish is medusophobia, but in MM's case that could be a fear of herself (i.e., BE name)

Madam Medusa May 17th 2008 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6362796)
For MM and BC the fear of jellyfish is medusophobia, but in MM's case that could be a fear of herself (i.e., BE name)

hahaha, well you learn something new every day...

MM, xx

MacScot May 17th 2008 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6362891)
hahaha, well you learn something new every day...

MM, xx

Worth remembering - might come at quiz night !!

By the way, the opposite would be medusophilia - a love of jellyfish, but your case that might be construed as narcissism !!