Jelly fish

Old May 16th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all
Default Jelly fish

When exactly is jelly fish season & are they all poisoinous, i ask because on my local beach in dubai there are already a great deal, nakheel even have boats with nets removing them from the water / beaches.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:35 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jelly fish

Originally Posted by pauldxb
When exactly is jelly fish season & are they all poisoinous, i ask because on my local beach in dubai there are already a great deal, nakheel even have boats with nets removing them from the water / beaches.
Should be April - June.

They are not too bad, more like bee stings.
Old May 16th 2008, 12:03 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

The summer appears to be the main months for increased jellyfish numbers along beaches, especially after prolonged onshore winds, which drive them shorewards. Some sting but many don't.

A reddish white variety of jellyfish, locally known as 'doll jellyfish', appear during June and July and do sting.

Portuguese men-of-war or blue bottles may also occur, these can be recognised by their distinctive blue 'sail' sticking out above the water while their long stinging tentacles are below the surface and can easily wrap around your torso or limbs.

If stung by a jelly fish, try and pull off any remaining stinging strands (you probably won't have tweezers so just use a comb or something similar, or just your fingers, which will also get stung but a much smaller area).

Some people recommend rubbing the area with sand immediately (this acts as a natural 'peeling/scrub', popping the tiny poison-blisters created by the sting and getting the painful poison out of your skin.

Whatever you do, don’t rinse them off with fresh water (use seawater), or you will set off more nematocysts. Vinegar was on the outer for a while, but apparently is still recommended to neutralise the poison. Afterwards, one current trend is to have a hot shower, as hot as you can stand for about 15 minutes. This neutralises the poison and apparently soothes the affected area.
Old May 16th 2008, 12:15 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

A June 15th 2007 quote from Madam Medusa:

'eeeuwww...jellyfish scare the sh1t out of me...MM, xx'.

Now look at her now, swimming with all these medusae !!
Attached Thumbnails Jelly fish-medusa.jpg  
Old May 16th 2008, 12:17 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
The summer appears to be the main months for increased jellyfish numbers along beaches, especially after prolonged onshore winds, which drive them shorewards. Some sting but many don't.

A reddish white variety of jellyfish, locally known as 'doll jellyfish', appear during June and July and do sting.

Portuguese men-of-war or blue bottles may also occur, these can be recognised by their distinctive blue 'sail' sticking out above the water while their long stinging tentacles are below the surface and can easily wrap around your torso or limbs.

If stung by a jelly fish, try and pull off any remaining stinging strands (you probably won't have tweezers so just use a comb or something similar, or just your fingers, which will also get stung but a much smaller area).

Some people recommend rubbing the area with sand immediately (this acts as a natural 'peeling/scrub', popping the tiny poison-blisters created by the sting and getting the painful poison out of your skin.

Whatever you do, don’t rinse them off with fresh water (use seawater), or you will set off more nematocysts. Vinegar was on the outer for a while, but apparently is still recommended to neutralise the poison. Afterwards, one current trend is to have a hot shower, as hot as you can stand for about 15 minutes. This neutralises the poison and apparently soothes the affected area.
I've not seen or heard of Portugese men-o-war around UAE/Oman coast?
Old May 16th 2008, 12:23 pm
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I've not seen or heard of Portugese men-o-war around UAE/Oman coast?
Rare. Some were brought in by Cyclone Gonu last year.
Old May 16th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

Rare. Some were brought in by Cyclone Gonu last year.
bloody hell, they're are massive
Old May 16th 2008, 5:25 pm
A bubbly-jock...

bloody hell, they're are massive
That's not them in the picture with the girl !! Bluebottles are small, about half the size of your clenched fist.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

A June 15th 2007 quote from Madam Medusa:

'eeeuwww...jellyfish scare the sh1t out of me...MM, xx'.

Now look at her now, swimming with all these medusae !!
omg, i am going to have terrible nightmares about that photo...!!

MM, xx
Old May 17th 2008, 1:55 pm
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
omg, i am going to have terrible nightmares about that photo...!!

MM, xx
But they're not stingers or is the quivering jelly a Freudian thing ?
Old May 17th 2008, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

But they're not stingers or is the quivering jelly a Freudian thing ?
i don't care that they are not stingers, i don't want them anywhere near me, lol...freudian or not...

MM, xx
Old May 17th 2008, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

i don't care that they are not stingers, i don't want them anywhere near me, lol...freudian or not...

MM, xx

well that is the end of me and any scuba diving that was gonna happen
Old May 17th 2008, 2:30 pm
A bubbly-jock...

For MM and BC the fear of jellyfish is medusophobia, but in MM's case that could be a fear of herself (i.e., BE name)
Old May 17th 2008, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For MM and BC the fear of jellyfish is medusophobia, but in MM's case that could be a fear of herself (i.e., BE name)
hahaha, well you learn something new every day...

MM, xx
Old May 17th 2008, 4:23 pm
A bubbly-jock...

hahaha, well you learn something new every day...

MM, xx
Worth remembering - might come at quiz night !!

By the way, the opposite would be medusophilia - a love of jellyfish, but your case that might be construed as narcissism !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.