British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Jebal Ali, UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/jebal-ali-uae-689246/)

zaf_1987 Oct 12th 2010 12:18 pm

Jebal Ali, UAE

Hi,
travelling off to Jebal Ali, UAE on friday, going to be on a 6 month internship. first timer to the UAE. If anyone could give me a heads up on what things I could get up to after work- what are the functions and social culture of the expats here/locals?, local transport (will be on budget-cant get a car), I also need to get a local phone contract-recommendations?
much appreciated. X

busybee2 Oct 12th 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Jebal Ali, UAE

Originally Posted by zaf_1987 (Post 8913132)
Hi,
travelling off to Jebal Ali, UAE on friday, going to be on a 6 month internship. first timer to the UAE. If anyone could give me a heads up on what things I could get up to after work- what are the functions and social culture of the expats here/locals?, local transport (will be on budget-cant get a car), I also need to get a local phone contract-recommendations?
much appreciated. X

ooooh well as ja is a freezone lots of large buildings with loads of factories etc, think it may be difficult with no car, is the metro station open there? local phone thats easy a wasel is what you need get anywhere nowadays pay as you go. if u are going to be out of the country for only 6 months what happens regarding your tax liability etc.

zaf_1987 Oct 12th 2010 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8913747)
ooooh well as ja is a freezone lots of large buildings with loads of factories etc, think it may be difficult with no car, is the metro station open there? local phone thats easy a wasel is what you need get anywhere nowadays pay as you go. if u are going to be out of the country for only 6 months what happens regarding your tax liability etc.

they only pay me expense, so am exempt from the tax i think. I checked the metro is open, so it should be ok I guess. I wont phone outside uae much so a pay as you go is fine. just a little concerned about meeting people out there...

Forsu Oct 13th 2010 4:26 am

Originally Posted by zaf_1987 (Post 8914284)
they only pay me expense, so am exempt from the tax i think. I checked the metro is open, so it should be ok I guess. I wont phone outside uae much so a pay as you go is fine. just a little concerned about meeting people out there...

I think, Metro only goes up to Ibn Battuta Mall, from there you ride the bus or taxi to the FZ.

Install Skype on your PC, and add some credit before you get here.

Sign up with Du for the phone. Does not have excellent coverage but you pay per second.