Wikiposts

Iranian Souk?

Old May 5th 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all
Default Iranian Souk?

Hi, I have lived in Abu Dhabi now for 8 weeks and for the last 6 weeks have been trying to find the Iranian souk - does it exist? Is it also known as Al Meena souk (explorer says not) which I think is with the plant souk? We have also been directed to the carpet souk but I don't think that is what I am looking for either. We have followed map directions to no avail. Please someone put me out of my misery and give my poor children a life where they don't spend the whole weekend in the car looking for things that don't exist any more (anyone looking for Al Raha public beach please take note!). Thank you in advance.
Old May 5th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Iranian Souk?

Cherrypie,
Head out towards Mina port, and before you get to the Toys R Us row of shops, hang a left at the roundabout. You'll go through a gate to the docks, et voila!!
Can't miss it
Old May 5th 2008, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

chthomas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cherrypie1
Hi, I have lived in Abu Dhabi now for 8 weeks and for the last 6 weeks have been trying to find the Iranian souk - does it exist? Is it also known as Al Meena souk (explorer says not) which I think is with the plant souk? We have also been directed to the carpet souk but I don't think that is what I am looking for either. We have followed map directions to no avail. Please someone put me out of my misery and give my poor children a life where they don't spend the whole weekend in the car looking for things that don't exist any more (anyone looking for Al Raha public beach please take note!). Thank you in advance.
But there aren't any iranian shops there anymore. You are right, its a plant souk
Old May 5th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all

Thanks guys, the explorer book and map puts it in a totally different place to that souk, no wonder people keep telling me 'welcome to Abu Dhabi'. At least the children will be relieved! Thanks again.
Old May 5th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

It's not much of a souk - just plants, pots/pans, plastic buckets etc. They get different things in every week, so keep an eye open if there is anything specific you're after.
Old May 5th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I have been to that one, the picture in the book showed a lovely, quaint little souk, just how you imagine them to be not the local pound shop. The wonders of photography eh. Nevermind.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

anyone looking for Al Raha public beach please take note!). Thank you in advance
assuming this is now a building site....
Old May 5th 2008, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, apparently part of it is a building site and some of it is now the private beach at Al Raha Beach Hotel. Spent 3 hours trying to find it one weekend, both the explorer (which used to be my bible) and visitabudhabi.ae both still say that there is a public beach there.