Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

iPhone 4 in Dubai?

iPhone 4 in Dubai?

Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default iPhone 4 in Dubai?

I am trying to find an Etisalat shop/centre that has the iPhone 4 in stock. Tried Dubai Mall last Friday and the guys (who was of course extremely unhelpful) said they didn't, no other shops did and he or anyone else couldn't tell when they would have more in stock. He also said I couldn't even pay and go on a waiting list. And of course a call to the ever-so-helpful call centre got the same result.

Does anyone know where I can get one from? Think it best to stay with Etisalat (for my sins) as I imagine trying to transfer my number to Du will have the same result as digging my own eyes out with a hot spoon, and I think the up front fees are more expensive.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: iPhone 4 in Dubai?

I've heard that Etisalat sold out too. There's always the option of buying an iphone from one of the UK internet sites like expansys, and then asking etisalat to replace your sim with one of the smaller sized ones the phone needs. You'll have to pay for a data plan, and unlocked phones start around 3500dhs at the moment! But on the upside you'll be able to run facetime which the local phones dont have.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

For around 3,600 (for the 32GB) you could buy one unlocked from Apple in the UK.

Does anyone know if Du have still banned sales of their iphones? I've been after one for ages but it's near impossible.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:05 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier
I am trying to find an Etisalat shop/centre that has the iPhone 4 in stock. Tried Dubai Mall last Friday and the guys (who was of course extremely unhelpful) said they didn't, no other shops did and he or anyone else couldn't tell when they would have more in stock. He also said I couldn't even pay and go on a waiting list. And of course a call to the ever-so-helpful call centre got the same result.

Does anyone know where I can get one from? Think it best to stay with Etisalat (for my sins) as I imagine trying to transfer my number to Du will have the same result as digging my own eyes out with a hot spoon, and I think the up front fees are more expensive.

Thanks for any advice!
You can't take your number from Eitisalat to Du - number porting should come "soon" (they keep saying that....)
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Etisalat in DIFC?
I did my broadband subscription there and they were semi-useful (that's an achievement by Etisalat standard).
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

I am moving out to Abu Dhabi at the end of this month and have just bought an unlocked iphone 4 from apple. Does anyone know the likely cost of a pay monthly/pay as you go sim with data?

thanks
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure about Du, but data packages for Etisalat are 95dhs/month for 100Mb and 145dhs/month for 1gb. Phonecalls and texts are on top of this. Annoyingly the iphone 4 contract costs from 99dhs per month for 1gb and includes talktime and texts....
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fezzer
Annoyingly the iphone 4 contract costs from 99dhs per month for 1gb and includes talktime and texts....
Is that only available when you buy an iphone 4 off them?

cheers
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Yeah. You have to buy the phone and sign up for a years contract. May be possible, but this is Etisalat...
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah. You have to buy the phone and sign up for a years contract. May be possible, but this is Etisalat...
Cheers. I will give it a go as I will be in UAE for 2 years so do not mind signing up for annual contract
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

I've heard that Etisalat sold out too. There's always the option of buying an iphone from one of the UK internet sites like expansys, and then asking etisalat to replace your sim with one of the smaller sized ones the phone needs. You'll have to pay for a data plan, and unlocked phones start around 3500dhs at the moment! But on the upside you'll be able to run facetime which the local phones dont have.
Just done this with a UK unlocked Iphone 4, a new micro sim from Etisalat is 25Dhs. They have a variety of data packages, I took the top one (450Dhs/month) and got a free Blackberry 9700 for the missus.

Last edited by andrewpops; Mar 16th 2011 at 12:08 pm. Reason: Fat fingers
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:11 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

we bought our iPhone from emiratesavenue.com, have data package via Du, it is unlocked and has FT
Old Mar 16th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by flood2
Cheers. I will give it a go as I will be in UAE for 2 years so do not mind signing up for annual contract
Etisalat told me a while back that you have to have had a contract with them for a minimum of 6 months prior. It may have since changed though.

Du's package starts at Dhs 100 for their super elite 100.