Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Interview for Dubai Media City job

Interview for Dubai Media City job

Old Aug 11th 2004, 2:03 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Interview for Dubai Media City job

Hello all.

I have a meeting for a job later this week in London for a job in Dubai.

Can anyone give me any tips or clues for this. i am fine with presenting my work but are there any do's or dont's to say in a meeting. The meeting is with UK people who all ready work in DXB.

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2004, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interview for Dubai Media City job

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
Hello all.

I have a meeting for a job later this week in London for a job in Dubai.

Can anyone give me any tips or clues for this. i am fine with presenting my work but are there any do's or dont's to say in a meeting. The meeting is with UK people who all ready work in DXB.

Thanks
Nothing in particular springs to mind. Just the normal interview stuff, no need to be especially careful about anything.
Good luck.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:32 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nevi
Nothing in particular springs to mind. Just the normal interview stuff, no need to be especially careful about anything.
Good luck.
cheers. So all normal then which is good.

I guess that most employeers will give u clues and tips as to where and how to get accommodation sorted out. I do not expect that to be part of the package. And then I presume I will need to sort out my own medical insurance as well.

Thanks.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:04 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

cheers. So all normal then which is good.

I guess that most employeers will give u clues and tips as to where and how to get accommodation sorted out. I do not expect that to be part of the package. And then I presume I will need to sort out my own medical insurance as well.

Thanks.
You really should be expect at least an allowance for accomodation, if it's not included and likewise with medical insurance really. Most employers do provide something towards these and accomodaton in Dubai (as you are no doubt aware) is v.v. expensive. Then again, it's possible it's all accounted for in the salary you're offered but either way, be sure to do your sums and negotiate if you need to.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:37 pm
The 5th Amendment

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
You really should be expect at least an allowance for accomodation, if it's not included and likewise with medical insurance really. Most employers do provide something towards these and accomodaton in Dubai (as you are no doubt aware) is v.v. expensive. Then again, it's possible it's all accounted for in the salary you're offered but either way, be sure to do your sums and negotiate if you need to.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the fast response!

When people talk about expensive... are we talking more or the same as Central london? I would be working in Dubai Media City so wher would you think would be a good place that means not too far to work and not in the middle of nowhere as well.

Also would i be looking at doing some form of Hotel appartment or do I find a normal appartment rental ? Also heard about the fact you put 6 months rent sown in one go... is that true or ? Also I am not sure about this Resident's Visa thing eithe. I have looked int oa lot but there are still some grey areas!

cheers
Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:31 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Thanks for the fast response!

When people talk about expensive... are we talking more or the same as Central london? I would be working in Dubai Media City so wher would you think would be a good place that means not too far to work and not in the middle of nowhere as well.

Also would i be looking at doing some form of Hotel appartment or do I find a normal appartment rental ? Also heard about the fact you put 6 months rent sown in one go... is that true or ? Also I am not sure about this Resident's Visa thing eithe. I have looked int oa lot but there are still some grey areas!

cheers
I'd say same or more than London, definitely, for villas...though, if I'm honest, I'm not that familiar with apartment or studio prices in Dubai. There is plenty of housing around Media City to accomodate the people who work around there, so you shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere. You'd want a normal apt (?) and yes, you have to pay the rent upfront, half immediately and other half after 6 months. Unfortunately, you have to enter into a one year agreement, so choose wisely. Best to log onto the Gulfnews and maybe Khaleejtimes website, their property secn will give you an idea as to prices or what's on offer.

Sounds like you haven't actually been out to Dubai- a quick visit would put your mind at rest about many things.

Don't worry about the residence visa thing, your company will (or should!) sort all that out for you.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:08 pm
The 5th Amendment

Thanks for the advice... hmm well will have to see what the company will do for me now if the meeting goes well. But at least this has been very interesting and makes me want to do it even more now!

Maybe if this one does not work out then will definitely come out to Dubai for a good look about!!!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

lewisc00 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it really as expensive as in london???...ok so maybe i know nothing about the place as well!! i thought most companies sorted out accomodation for you, or are there particular ones i should be looking at? like the bigger companies?

guess i should really start researching??!!!