Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

interview advice required

interview advice required

Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

rumba has a spectacular aura aboutrumba has a spectacular aura aboutrumba has a spectacular aura about
Default interview advice required

Hi all
I am coming to dubai at christmas and i have arranged an interview for when i get there, can anybody give me any tips for the ettiquette i need to impress an employer i uae.
I will be going for a manufacturing job in engineering and i know the job inside out so that won't be a problem,but i am wondering how to handle these guys and how to take them.
Any advice is much appreciated
Old Dec 8th 2005, 1:52 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: interview advice required

Do you know who else will be in the interview, where it will be etc?

General rules apply- be on time, be courteous etc. There is a book called 'Don't they know it's friday?' or something which deals with the differences in dealing the the ME culture. Maybe a member has a copy and could see if there's anything particular about interviews.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:19 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rumba
Hi all
I am coming to dubai at christmas and i have arranged an interview for when i get there, can anybody give me any tips for the ettiquette i need to impress an employer i uae.
I will be going for a manufacturing job in engineering and i know the job inside out so that won't be a problem,but i am wondering how to handle these guys and how to take them.
Any advice is much appreciated

You can check in the FAQ's the list of recruitment agencies and then check in their sites, i think some do have advices in it.

hope that helps.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:35 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
'Don't they know it's friday?'
READ THIS BOOK FIRST!!!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:47 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
READ THIS BOOK FIRST!!!

You working today?????
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:59 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

nOPE, a'S AWAY, SO HEADING UP TO OUR USUAL PLACE SOON.

yOU?
Originally Posted by Fairydust
You working today?????
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:08 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
nOPE, a'S AWAY, SO HEADING UP TO OUR USUAL PLACE SOON.

yOU?
Probably about lunchtime - just writing last minute xmas cards for someone to post in UK tomorrow
Old Dec 8th 2005, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

rumba has a spectacular aura aboutrumba has a spectacular aura aboutrumba has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the advice guys does anyone no where i can get my hands on the book when i get there, because i can't seem to find it easily available over here with it been christmas and delivery times running tight.
I am coming to dubai by the way.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 3:37 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rumba
thanks for the advice guys does anyone no where i can get my hands on the book when i get there, because i can't seem to find it easily available over here with it been christmas and delivery times running tight.
I am coming to dubai by the way.

its good to read books, but i think you must not do as someone else suggest you to do, because evryone has different life experience! the book is written by a guy who has done things according to him!

you must LEAD where others follow!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 3:42 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's a bit deep CN!!

I actually found it most enlightening on the Arab way of life, the fact that family comes first, to sit on the right etc.

Anyway OP, you can get it at any bookshop here (mcGrudy's being the main one)
Originally Posted by CasaNova
its good to read books, but i think you must not do as someone else suggest you to do, because evryone has different life experience! the book is written by a guy who has done things according to him!

you must LEAD where others follow!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 3:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MJC
That's a bit deep CN!!

I actually found it most enlightening on the Arab way of life, the fact that family comes first, to sit on the right etc.

Anyway OP, you can get it at any bookshop here (mcGrudy's being the main one)

You are right, i have read that Book. Its written by a former British Ambassador.. forgot his name.

Its quite Informative and very useful.

For eg: One point where the write says that women should dress bit conservation and professionl attire when dealing with Gulf People.

Well for me it works the other way around!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:01 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I knew I've seen you on Jumeriah Beach!! Took some recognising though through the Ray Bans!!
Well for me it works the other way around!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MJC
I knew I've seen you on Jumeriah Beach!! Took some recognising though through the Ray Bans!!

Don't Tell me that you invited him for Drinks!!!!

it wasnt me
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:20 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't Tell me that you invited him for Drinks!!!!

it wasnt me
Well you all look the same to us westerners!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 4:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MJC
Well you all look the same to us westerners!

what about the Chinese/Malays/thais/indos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.