Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Insuring a car Dubai - 7yr old max?

Insuring a car Dubai - 7yr old max?

Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Graduate QS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insuring a car Dubai - 7yr old max?

Guys

Am I right to say that if you are new to UAE therefore have held a UAE licence for less than one year that you can only insure cars less than 7 years old?

I have uk licence for past 13yrs but the stumbling block appears to be UAE licence

What are best insurance options for new expats to region - firms etc? Also read you need to ensure your insurance covers 'blood money' payment incase you kill someone (I presume they mean using your car and not just generally)

thanks
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:47 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring a car Dubai - 7yr old max?

Originally Posted by Graduate QS
Also read you need to ensure your insurance covers 'blood money' payment incase you kill someone (I presume they mean using your car and not just generally)

thanks
Killing them with a spoon or knife for example would need household insurance, and while away on holiday its covered under travel insurance.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Guys

Am I right to say that if you are new to UAE therefore have held a UAE licence for less than one year that you can only insure cars less than 7 years old?

I have uk licence for past 13yrs but the stumbling block appears to be UAE licence

What are best insurance options for new expats to region - firms etc? Also read you need to ensure your insurance covers 'blood money' payment incase you kill someone (I presume they mean using your car and not just generally)

thanks
have used a few over the many years living here, axa is the one that we have used for a long time, it comes with blood money insurance, they are more professional when it comes to claims. and if you have transfered your licence i think the 1 year rule doesnt come into play.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busybee2
have used a few over the many years living here, axa is the one that we have used for a long time, it comes with blood money insurance, they are more professional when it comes to claims. and if you have transfered your licence i think the 1 year rule doesnt come into play.
Axa only insure fully comprehensive up to cars that are 10 years old (only offer 3rd party insurance for older cars)

Chartis insure fully comp for cars over 10 years old
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Guys

thanks
Seems odd -- give these guys a call: www.insureme.ae
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs
Axa only insure fully comprehensive up to cars that are 10 years old (only offer 3rd party insurance for older cars)

Chartis insure fully comp for cars over 10 years old
yes i know its 10 years then 3rd party with axa.... but he was saying 7 year old max which is not the case. and having to hold a dl for 1 year, which is not the case.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Graduate QS is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone

when I went to the axa website and put in my details it would only allow me to select a car of up to 7 years old regardless of the model I chose

I will look into those you guys have suggested

Weasel, liked your response - ill have to check my travel insurance
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

thanks everyone

when I went to the axa website and put in my details it would only allow me to select a car of up to 7 years old regardless of the model I chose

You need to telephone them for cars over 7 years.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If it's out of warranty age then make sure the quote is for non-agency repairs too.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks everyone

that maybe but once you get to know them, and you are a loyal customer you can increase to longer. they have to put in a special code which cannot be done on the internet, only done face to face etc.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yeh axa over 5 years non agency repairs etc and no increasing....
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:12 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Someone in the know assures me that there's a guy in Sharjah who has a full-time job electronically clocking vehicles. Probably no surprise, really, but worth noting.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Someone in the know assures me that there's a guy in Sharjah who has a full-time job electronically clocking vehicles. Probably no surprise, really, but worth noting.
Reminds me of a conversation with one of our drivers who 'fixed the clock'on his BMW just before he sold it. Take it to Sharjah - 200 dh, Sir
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:46 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Reminds me of a conversation with one of our drivers who 'fixed the clock'on his BMW just before he sold it. Take it to Sharjah - 200 dh, Sir
Mileage is recorded as part of the registration check, and the info can be bought relatively cheaply (I have been led to believe). Not sure if these checks are only done on cars over 3 years old or not though so there is potentially a bit of a gap there. However if the car is within warranty the stealers will have recorded mileage in their central database when doing the servicing so you could always go ask them. Probably won't cost you anything either. This is actually how a lot of people find out that the cheap and fairly new American spec car they bought off honest Hari from the dubizzle was actually conclusively written off in the not too distant past.

The thing to bear in mind as well is that most people who get their cars clocked have done ridiculous mileage and when they realise that they can cheat they loose all sense of reality and it becomes dead simple to spot that the car has been clocked.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But insurance companies decide upon the age of the car (ie. date of first registration) rather than the mileage, don't they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.