Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

TheTrailingSpouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you need advice on moving to Saudi Arabia....

Imi, do you have any knowledge of the Eastern province? Dhahran/BAE/Sara compound? I'd like to know about how easy it is to have "sanity" weekends away in Bahrain (immigration time to get across the causeway) and whether there are any running clubs or an HHH group.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

The Causeway is perfectly doable any weekend unless it's a particular holiday (i.e. Saudi schools break up, Eid etc). If you get to it before 4pm, it takes about 45 mins on average to cross the passport island. Add to that a 30 min drive from the Sara compound to Manama and your weekend lies before you. Coming back about the same as long as you don't leave it too late on a Saturday... i.e. start heading back late afternoon, not evening.

But then, you can find it takes 2 hours to cross the island... that's what makes it fun!
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sicklyman
The Causeway is perfectly doable any weekend unless it's a particular holiday (i.e. Saudi schools break up, Eid etc). If you get to it before 4pm, it takes about 45 mins on average to cross the passport island. Add to that a 30 min drive from the Sara compound to Manama and your weekend lies before you. Coming back about the same as long as you don't leave it too late on a Saturday... i.e. start heading back late afternoon, not evening.

But then, you can find it takes 2 hours to cross the island... that's what makes it fun!
Thank you! I've already eyed up a go karting track for weekend fun.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheTrailingSpouse
Thank you! I've already eyed up a go karting track for weekend fun.
If you are male, you can do karting in the basement of Rashid Mall in Khobar.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 9:19 am
Just Joined

If you are male, you can do karting in the basement of Rashid Mall in Khobar.
Alas I am not so Bahrain will be my closest track.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 10:36 am
Just Joined

5aq1b is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be heading over to KSA for 6 mths , living in California compound, on a business visa. Any hints/tips would be great? Places to eat? Pleaces to avoid etc. I'm also interesting in renting a car for the end of the month as part of my visa reqs is exit/re-entry every 30 days. Hopefully a drive to Qatar or Bahrain will suffice.

Also, What's the best PAYG sim to use while in KSA?
Old Oct 19th 2015, 1:09 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5aq1b
I'll be heading over to KSA for 6 mths , living in California compound, on a business visa. Any hints/tips would be great? Places to eat? Pleaces to avoid etc. I'm also interesting in renting a car for the end of the month as part of my visa reqs is exit/re-entry every 30 days. Hopefully a drive to Qatar or Bahrain will suffice.

Also, What's the best PAYG sim to use while in KSA?
if you're on a business visa you'll have to get someone with an Iqama to buy a SIM for you.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

5aq1b is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
if you're on a business visa you'll have to get someone with an Iqama to buy a SIM for you.
ahh i thought that was just for contract sims, and not for PAYG sims. Ah well, i'm sure i'll find someone over there!
Old Oct 19th 2015, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Skinny Checker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've been offered position with BAE in Dhahran, free compound accomodation, fully furnished etc sounds good on top of decent cash but is there any catches I need to be aware of?

Also I'm planning on sending most of dosh back to UK for wife and kids etc and getting mixed messages as to if I need to pay tax on these payments??

A pal whose an Tax Inspector said yes its taxable at higher rate even if I'm non resident, while everyone whose been out there seems to have just either got paid into their UK account or opened an account there and ran their affairs from it without much grief from the UK revenue?

Any help will be much appreciated

Chris
Old Oct 20th 2015, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

this forum cannot advise you reliably about your tax status. With a wife and kids (and presumably a house) in the UK, you may well have enough ties to make you eligible to pay. But there are too many variables to say for sure.

One thing definitely applies to everyone though: if you do qualify for tax exempt status in the UK, you will do so only after having been out of the UK in full-time employment overseas for a complete tax year. Return before that time is up, and you are liable for back taxes on the lot. However, during that time, you can repatriate money to the UK and not pay tax if you do not have enough ties to make you liable anyway.

Simples!

Not.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Skinny Checker is an unknown quantity at this point

this forum cannot advise you reliably about your tax status. With a wife and kids (and presumably a house) in the UK, you may well have enough ties to make you eligible to pay. But there are too many variables to say for sure.

One thing definitely applies to everyone though: if you do qualify for tax exempt status in the UK, you will do so only after having been out of the UK in full-time employment overseas for a complete tax year. Return before that time is up, and you are liable for back taxes on the lot. However, during that time, you can repatriate money to the UK and not pay tax if you do not have enough ties to make you liable anyway.

Simples!

Not.
Thanks for that, I'm trying to get it sorted before accepting the offer. May have to resort to speaking to an accountant
Old Oct 21st 2015, 2:06 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5aq1b
ahh i thought that was just for contract sims, and not for PAYG sims. Ah well, i'm sure i'll find someone over there!
Yeah just ask a work buddy to register it for you. You can buy the SIM but you'll need someone with an Iqama to register it. Takes about two minutes.

Then when you top up you'll need to know their Iqama number as well.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aziz90
For the causeway you should try
it's great app to let you know about the traffic in the causeway
And running clubs? HHH?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 22nd 2015 at 1:39 pm. Reason: Recommendation removed as it's rather spammy......
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Aziz90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheTrailingSpouse
And running clubs? HHH?
I'm local so I don't know any sport clubs for foreigner if that what you asking.
You have to ask your co-worker the might know.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay out for a whole tax year to be tax-free. BAE should be in a position to give you some advice on this. You have to count the days that you spend in the UK, and minimise links.
I never met anyone working at BAE in Saudi Arabia who was a happy well-rounjded individual ! Loads a taxfree dosh is not a guarantee of Instant Happiness !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.