British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Hubby wants to move back to London from Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hubby-wants-move-back-london-dubai-923414/)

Moses2013 Apr 5th 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Hubby wants to move back to London from Dubai

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12666422)

Scot47 I’m in the Middle East because I like being in shorts and flip flops year round. Plus I love my lebanese food. Yes, admit I should have learned to cook Arabic food better when I was much younger but I was too busy listening to music in my room and playing basketball in my free time to bother :o

There are still cheaper countries for that but in all fairness, most Scandinavians I knew in the UK were wearing shorts all year round and plenty of Lebanese restaurants/shops all over Europe. If not hardy enough, the easiest and cheapest method is to place a larger polycarbonate greenhouse in the garden. We placed a 10 meter long one in garden and while it's mainly for growing, you can still create your own little oasis. Yesterday was slightly windy, so I just moved my chair over to the greenhouse and after 2 hours actually had enough of the heat. Good thing was that I could actually go out to a nice cool garden. So with a little out of the box thinking, anything is possible.

Millhouse Apr 5th 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12666503)
There are still cheaper countries for that but in all fairness, most Scandinavians I knew in the UK were wearing shorts all year round and plenty of Lebanese restaurants/shops all over Europe. If not hardy enough, the easiest and cheapest method is to place a larger polycarbonate greenhouse in the garden. We placed a 10 meter long one in garden and while it's mainly for growing, you can still create your own little oasis. Yesterday was slightly windy, so I just moved my chair over to the greenhouse and after 2 hours actually had enough of the heat. Good thing was that I could actually go out to a nice cool garden. So with a little out of the box thinking, anything is possible.

More to Ireland and live in a poly tunnel... and I thought I was taking the piss.

Lul37 Apr 5th 2019 5:11 pm

Moses2013 you would be surprised at how many crappy Shawermas i’v had abroad. And Shawerma is pretty simple to make you would think. I don’t think of myself as a foodie but some Lebanese restaurants abroad are atrocious.

Must be nice having your own green house though, if I was able to squeeze in a shisha there then I would be all set. I’ve always wanted to have my own vineyard as well :thumbup:

HeyJoe Sep 8th 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12657759)
I meant Dublin. If you're looking for English speaking city in Europe with good job opportunities in Tech and slower pace of life, Dublin might be a good alternative to London.
Especially as a senior technology consultant he should get good money and there are many nice areas along the coast. Of course housing is the major issue in most cities, so can't comment on that as I live in the West (Galway) myself.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12662155)
I lived in zone 5. Worked in the city. 10min walk to the station at each end and a 25min packed train sniffing an armpit or if I was lucky to get a seat sniffing an asscrack.. Leave at 8. Home by 7... The only thing I really hated was the rain and the cold and the dark and the moaning and the food and the asscracks and the terrible bathrooms without mixer taps.

Dunno what separating for a year solves, he will be shored up in a one bed in JLT, she will be cold in some miserable mid terrace house while they save money. He will still be too busy on the Riyadh red eye to look for a job in London. A year becomes 18mths etc... The only real solution is cut the costs in dubai, get a new job and put the misses to work... Or fully embrace a move to the uk (or Ireland of course).

Yes... agree with both above. I've lived in London with a wife and bunch of kids. Impossible to survive even on a 6 figure salary. Commute from zone 5 was killing me every day. Entire life becomes a shit show, like a hamster on a wheel. Impossible to save anything. Hence, we moved to Dublin. Cheaper childcare, higher child benefit, lower rent, smaller city, less commute. Agree also with recommendation to target a job with one of the tech companies. You get your transport allowance, free food (Google and Facebook), flexible time, much less travelling, decent colleagues etc. In any case, salaries are higher in Dublin and cost of living is less. It's also safer than London.