British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Hubby wants to move back to London from Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hubby-wants-move-back-london-dubai-923414/)

Lul37 Mar 21st 2019 1:15 pm

Hubby wants to move back to London from Dubai

Hello all, was told I was better off posting this thread in this section.

we are family of 4 living in Dubai for almost 4 years now. Hubby works as a senior technology consultant for a global company based in Dubai and earns around 46k per month. His role means he is constantly involved in traveling around the ME, mostly KSA and he’s now reached a point where he is getting pretty fed up and burnt out.

He believes that the cost of living in Dubai has become too high and we are now in fact better off moving back to London in the near future, even if he found a job with less pay back in London (say around 85k in pounds per year).

He is unable to put away any savings here and says we made a big mistake moving abroad knowing that the school fees weren’t covered by the company. Im not sure I agree as I feel that other than uprooting the kids from their school, we are better off staying in Dubai because we would be paying a significant amount of tax in the UK even on £85k per year, let alone £100k. This is in addition to the cost of renting a 3 bed in a good school catchment in west London which would work out to be between £1800-£2000 per month.

Here’s a list of our current yearly outgoings:

115k in school fees for two primary aged children

175k in rent for 4 bed villa in a nice area (we are paying more on rent in order to be much closer to the school and save on getting a second car)

42k on car related outgoings

33k on groceries

24k on utilities/bills

8.4k on weekly cleaning and garden maintenance

The remainder is on recreation, eating out, annual trips back to the Uk, gym membership etc..

Just looking for some feedback, please no harsh comments. I am not very good in dealing with money management generally and leave it to the hubby but in this case I’m perplexed at what is best for us. Thanks!

christmasoompa Mar 21st 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Hubby wants to move back to London from Dubai

Can't comment on Dubai as I've never even visited (I spontaneously combust at about 28 degrees), but £85k would go much further outside of London. Is commuting not an option?

Moses2013 Mar 21st 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12657550)
Hello all, was told I was better off posting this thread in this section.

we are family of 4 living in Dubai for almost 4 years now. Hubby works as a senior technology consultant for a global company based in Dubai and earns around 46k per month. His role means he is constantly involved in traveling around the ME, mostly KSA and he’s now reached a point where he is getting pretty fed up and burnt out.

He believes that the cost of living in Dubai has become too high and we are now in fact better off moving back to London in the near future, even if he found a job with less pay back in London (say around 85k in pounds per year).

He is unable to put away any savings here and says we made a big mistake moving abroad knowing that the school fees weren’t covered by the company. Im not sure I agree as I feel that other than uprooting the kids from their school, we are better off staying in Dubai because we would be paying a significant amount of tax in the UK even on £85k per year, let alone £100k. This is in addition to the cost of renting a 3 bed in a good school catchment in west London which would work out to be between £1800-£2000 per month.

Here’s a list of our current yearly outgoings:

115k in school fees for two primary aged children

175k in rent for 4 bed villa in a nice area (we are paying more on rent in order to be much closer to the school and save on getting a second car)

42k on car related outgoings

33k on groceries

24k on utilities/bills

8.4k on weekly cleaning and garden maintenance

The remainder is on recreation, eating out, annual trips back to the Uk, gym membership etc..

Just looking for some feedback, please no harsh comments. I am not very good in dealing with money management generally and leave it to the hubby but in this case I’m perplexed at what is best for us. Thanks!

No clue about costs but does it have to be London? I don't live in Dublin myself but as a senior technology consultant he should have loads of opportunities in Dublin and being in EU earning € you are far better off in the near future. Of course things cost money here too and housing can be an issue but with that sort of job, you could easily make money and live in the better areas outside the city.

Millhouse Mar 21st 2019 2:40 pm

You need to talk to him about his real reasons for leaving and your real reasons for wanting to stay. Is it money, being burnt out, career stagnation on his side and nice mum groups, nail spas and coffee shops on your side etc. Ultimately staying or leaving involves some sacrifice on both sides and its not always easy to see it.

Lul37 Mar 21st 2019 3:51 pm

Millhouse thanks for your feedback. I was hoping you would respond as a quick glance at the forums and I see that you seem to have a lot of invaluable info about the ME (which is really helpful at this point for me :) )

Yes we have talked about the lifestyle as well. Finances aside, sure I am happier in the desert and he knows that. I thrive in the heat (having been born in the ME myself), have a much active outdoor and social life than I ever did in the 9 years I lived in London after I got married. He on other hand has gotten progressively more homesick for Blighty in the last year, and tells me he can’t believe he gave up living in London where most of his family to spend most of his working hours in Saudi.

ofcourse I hate seeing him unhappy and other than him finding another position or job which will cover the school fees I can’t see him lasting here in Dubai long.

But I won’t stand him saying we are financially better off in the UK if that’s not true so it???

Lul37 Mar 21st 2019 3:57 pm

christmasoompa No I would struggle living outside London as all our family and friends live in West London. That’s the only real appeal for me to go back with the children. I’m the complete opposite of you, I shrivel up in any temperature under 15 degrees:rofl: I’m not saying we have to live close to central London, I’m talking about living in the very outskirts of, such as zone 5 and 6 right next to the M25 where rents would be cheaper anyhow.

Lul37 Mar 21st 2019 4:02 pm

Moses2013 do you mean Dubai or Dublin?? Are you saying he should have more job options in Dubai if he’s unhappy in his current role? Because hubby is saying he has looked around in Dubai and cant find a job that is offering him any better pay then what he is on now or even same pay but at least without the constant travel.

Moses2013 Mar 21st 2019 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12657727)
Moses2013 do you mean Dubai or Dublin?? Are you saying he should have more job options in Dubai if he’s unhappy in his current role? Because hubby is saying he has looked around in Dubai and cant find a job that is offering him any better pay then what he is on now or even same pay but at least without the constant travel.

I meant Dublin. If you're looking for English speaking city in Europe with good job opportunities in Tech and slower pace of life, Dublin might be a good alternative to London.
Especially as a senior technology consultant he should get good money and there are many nice areas along the coast. Of course housing is the major issue in most cities, so can't comment on that as I live in the West (Galway) myself.

NorthernLad Mar 21st 2019 5:54 pm

I think this covers it?

'Finances aside, sure I am happier in the desert and he knows that. I thrive in the heat (having been born in the ME myself), have a much active outdoor and social life than I ever did in the 9 years I lived in London after I got married.
He on other hand has gotten progressively more homesick for Blighty in the last year, and tells me he can’t believe he gave up living in London where most of his family to spend most of his working hours in Saudi.'

Lul37 Mar 21st 2019 6:06 pm

NorthernLad Yes I already know where we stand emotionally, now I just want to know in which city we are better off financially if he earned GBP 100k per year, London or Dubai? If we can ageee on finances it’s a start isn’t it?

Lul37 Mar 21st 2019 6:16 pm

Also just wanted to add for what it’s worth that I’m no Jumeriah Jane, off shopping in Dubai Mall while the kids are ‘taken care off by a nanny’. I’m at home all week running the household , school runs, after school activities, cooking, volunteering at my kids school, helping out with homework (one of my kids has additional needs) etc....it’s bloody hard work and I’m exhausted end of the day but I’m happy.

I worked part time in London before we moved to Dubai, and I miss that as I couldn’t find that balance over here but I don’t believe in nannies taking care of my kids needs.

Millhouse Mar 21st 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12657821)
NorthernLad Yes I already know where we stand emotionally, now I just want to know in which city we are better off financially if he earned GBP 100k per year, London or Dubai? If we can ageee on finances it’s a start isn’t it?

London is really quite expensive and it's not the place you left 9 years ago. Rents and travel costs are quite significant these days. Food is cheap though.

100k vs 46kAED - it's probably better in the UK. 85k vs 46k: marginal difference I think.

Doesn't sound like money is the underlying issue though. He is probably feeling a bit used and abused on all fronts (show him some love) and forgetting that while KSA sucks, so does the 7:15 from Whitton.

carcajou Mar 23rd 2019 8:23 am

Concur with Millhouse. It doesn't seem finances are behind your reasons for wanting to stay and his for wanting to leave.

There is a shelf life to working in the Middle East and your husband may have reached the expiry date.

ompan Mar 24th 2019 9:11 pm

I'm actually making the move the other way although to Muscat which is much cheaper than Dubai, from 85k London 4k omr, on paper 85k might sound a lot, but after all the direct and indirect taxes you pay here it is not much, income tax, council tax, vat, duty on petrol etc. Your living standard in London will be much lower, big downgrade from 4 bed villa, and v few state schools are good, no where close to the quality on international schools. Since brexit vote this is all you will hear here. Obviously job satisfaction is key, if he leaving is it worth asking employer to reduce travel or you will leave? If you want to do a like for like financial comparison check out properties on zoopla as to what you will be happy with in London vs current lifestyle, 85k translates to roughly £4.5k net per month, at current fx rate that is roughly half of the salary in Dubai!!

Lul37 Mar 24th 2019 10:27 pm

ompan thanks for your feedback. Yes in terms of MY personal standard of living I would be downgrading from a 4 bed villa to a 2/3 bed house in the outskirts of London. Not to mention the poor weather which is a big deal for me personally. (Plus the headache of uprooting the children once more, and being worried what kind of schools we get in, no easy feat you must know).

The real issue as Millhouse has figured out, is that my husband has had enough of the nature of his job here. He couldn’t care less about this lovely villa we are currently renting.

I get that he would be able to appreciate it more if he could in fact live inside it more often as he said, and not just on the weekends :p

Neither does he appreciate the ‘good’ schools here. He would rather pay the high income tax in London as he feels they are paying for much needed council services that he benefits from, than for a profit school company. He also wants his kids to experience ‘real life’ and not the bubble life over here.

So basically he can’t see no positives to Dubai and on top of that as carcajou said maybe it’s the end of the road for us :((

My post was trying to understand and get confirmation if we would be better off financially on 85k per year in the UK, compared to 100k per year here in Dubai.

Because the cost of utilities, clothes, groceries and even car related expenses in London (if we get a regular car, not a 4x4) are that much cheaper than in Dubai. Then it ends up being such a marginal difference between 85k London vs 100k Dubai for a family of four. ‘Not worth it being abroad if we cannot put away any savings, and we are better off on home ground’ says hubby. How to argue with that??? Are we satisfied living a comfortable luxurious lifestyle if we cannot in fact save for a rainy day?? He wants to be able to pay off the mortgage on our small flat (which we’re renting out), not just the interest and he cannot.

But my worry is that on 85k back home, we would have downgraded drastically (well for me), and still not be able to make any savings even whilst living in London. But at least we’ll have a better work life balance? Maybe, can’t be any worse than this nonstop travel I suppose.

In terms of job satisfaction I have tried to ask him to talk to his seniors about his constant travel, but he doesn’t want to threaten to leave because it might damage his future job prospects esp if he hasn’t got anything lined up yet. He doesn’t see his position with them open to change as someone said on here, the majority of the work is with Saudi clients, hence ‘all roads lead to Saudi’ in his line of work.

Best of luck for you in Muscat, I hope you enjoy it and it’s financially viable for you as well, certainly will be more than Dubai :lol:

Millhouse Mar 25th 2019 4:36 am

Kids are resilient.. Don't worry about uprooting them .

My son moved at 7. He settled in great. Hates the weather though - rest of it is about the same. Remember life is about people, communication and feelings. Not stuff and savings.

I go back to the UK everymonth. Truth is i think life is hard there but people deal with it .They do complain a lot though but at the same time life goes on. There's lots of low cost family options available too. Get a dog.

Millhouse Mar 25th 2019 4:40 am

What if you got a job. 5k a month as a teaching assistant in a school makes a massive difference.

Lul37 Mar 25th 2019 11:17 am

Millhouse love the dog suggestion, if in doubt get a dog :rofl:

I do have a BA in English Literatue from a non-uk uni and a CELTA certificate in teaching English with teaching experience in London. However never found anything part time that fits around my kids school hours esp with husband not home during the week.
Looked into private tutoring as well as I’m bilingual in English and Arabic but that lasted only a few months.

When we first arrived I had actually applied for TA jobs in my local area without much luck. Might be worth looking around once again if that would sway hubby towards staying in Dubai, now that it’s come to this. A job part time like that would be ideal for me as it works around the children’s school hours and means I can be back home without needing a nanny.

Moses2013 Mar 25th 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12659713)
ompan thanks for your feedback. Yes in terms of MY personal standard of living I would be downgrading from a 4 bed villa to a 2/3 bed house in the outskirts of London. Not to mention the poor weather which is a big deal for me personally. (Plus the headache of uprooting the children once more, and being worried what kind of schools we get in, no easy feat you must know).

The real issue as Millhouse has figured out, is that my husband has had enough of the nature of his job here. He couldn’t care less about this lovely villa we are currently renting.

I get that he would be able to appreciate it more if he could in fact live inside it more often as he said, and not just on the weekends :p

Neither does he appreciate the ‘good’ schools here. He would rather pay the high income tax in London as he feels they are paying for much needed council services that he benefits from, than for a profit school company. He also wants his kids to experience ‘real life’ and not the bubble life over here.

So basically he can’t see no positives to Dubai and on top of that as carcajou said maybe it’s the end of the road for us :((

My post was trying to understand and get confirmation if we would be better off financially on 85k per year in the UK, compared to 100k per year here in Dubai.

Because the cost of utilities, clothes, groceries and even car related expenses in London (if we get a regular car, not a 4x4) are that much cheaper than in Dubai. Then it ends up being such a marginal difference between 85k London vs 100k Dubai for a family of four. ‘Not worth it being abroad if we cannot put away any savings, and we are better off on home ground’ says hubby. How to argue with that??? Are we satisfied living a comfortable luxurious lifestyle if we cannot in fact save for a rainy day?? He wants to be able to pay off the mortgage on our small flat (which we’re renting out), not just the interest and he cannot.

But my worry is that on 85k back home, we would have downgraded drastically (well for me), and still not be able to make any savings even whilst living in London. But at least we’ll have a better work life balance? Maybe, can’t be any worse than this nonstop travel I suppose.

In terms of job satisfaction I have tried to ask him to talk to his seniors about his constant travel, but he doesn’t want to threaten to leave because it might damage his future job prospects esp if he hasn’t got anything lined up yet. He doesn’t see his position with them open to change as someone said on here, the majority of the work is with Saudi clients, hence ‘all roads lead to Saudi’ in his line of work.

Best of luck for you in Muscat, I hope you enjoy it and it’s financially viable for you as well, certainly will be more than Dubai :lol:

You might have to question a lot of things and while you might be living in a nice villa now, it's just a rental and you aren't saving anything. But the way it sounds is that you might end up unhappy in London and won't save either, so I would seriously look at other locations. You already mention that the weather will be a big deal for you, so a move to London will mean less outdoor space. Winter is winter but even if the summers in London are generally warmer and sunnier than other parts of the UK, you could be far better off in another location where you get more space and actually have a garden to enjoy the nicer days. Since I moved to Ireland, I spend so much more time outdoors compared to Kent because of many things. House with garden compared to apartment. shorter commute, longer summer evenings and because we bought during crash, obviously don't have a huge mortgage which helps too. Of course every life is different but if you were living in let's say Cornwall with lower salary, you might still both end up happier and have more spending money to go on holidays etc.?

Millhouse Mar 25th 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12659987)
You might have to question a lot of things and while you might be living in a nice villa now, it's just a rental and you aren't saving anything. But the way it sounds is that you might end up unhappy in London and won't save either, so I would seriously look at other locations. You already mention that the weather will be a big deal for you, so a move to London will mean less outdoor space. Winter is winter but even if the summers in London are generally warmer and sunnier than other parts of the UK, you could be far better off in another location where you get more space and actually have a garden to enjoy the nicer days. Since I moved to Ireland, I spend so much more time outdoors compared to Kent because of many things. House with garden compared to apartment. shorter commute, longer summer evenings and because we bought during crash, obviously don't have a huge mortgage which helps too. Of course every life is different but if you were living in let's say Cornwall with lower salary, you might still both end up happier and have more spending money to go on holidays etc.?

A man who is tired of London is tired... no wait he moves to Ireland!

Moses2013 Mar 25th 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12659995)

Problem with OP is that she will end up unhappy in any city in Northern Europe and the hubby will still be stressed with commute, so you're probably right.
Hubby change job in Dubai and wife get a part time job:-)

ompan Mar 26th 2019 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12659713)

If he is so unhappy with his job it appears something needs to change, either his work pattern with current employer which sounds difficult, or changing jobs. If you do come back 85k (4.5k net a month), will be comfortable from UK standards (big reduction from your current living standards), and I dont think you will be able to save anything here unless you also end up working here, job market is good here finding jobs should be easy, despite brexit drama. If you can happily stay in dubai, to save money you can make some adjustments to save such as a slightly smaller property etc. In the end happiness is more important than money.

weasel decentral Mar 27th 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12659995)

We are all full up over here!

Lul37 Mar 27th 2019 11:49 am

Thanks all, unlikely he will find a job in Dubai better than the one he’s in now, it’s been such a slow start to the year.

Am considering moving back to the UK with the kids on my own for a year before hubby joins us. Hope we are making the right choice and that it gives us a chance to save up abit.

Moses2013 Mar 27th 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12661339)
Thanks all, unlikely he will find a job in Dubai better than the one he’s in now, it’s been such a slow start to the year.

Am considering moving back to the UK with the kids on my own for a year before hubby joins us. Hope we are making the right choice and that it gives us a chance to save up abit.

I still wouldn't rule out other locations in the UK if I were you. Of course we're all different but unless you're a hardcore London fan, I don't see why London would offer the family a better lifestyle.
Maybe because your friends and family are there but even if you were living in let's say Bristol (never been & just example) you are still only less than 2 hours away from London.

Lul37 Mar 27th 2019 12:42 pm

Moses2013 possibly in a few years after moving back to London we might consider moving out of London. It all depends where hubby finds work. I see no point in him being stuck in a longer commute and me living somewhere and being miserably lonely. Would feel like I still was living abroad minus the great weather. Would rather in that case we all move back into our tiny flat in London (all squashed up), and save on rent instead.

Moses2013 Mar 27th 2019 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12661379)
Moses2013 possibly in a few years after moving back to London we might consider moving out of London. It all depends where hubby finds work. I see no point in him being stuck in a longer commute and me living somewhere and being miserably lonely. Would feel like I still was living abroad minus the great weather. Would rather in that case we all move back into our tiny flat in London (all squashed up), and save on rent instead.

I get your points but a smaller city might offer same salary, larger home, less commute and if you sell the apartment in London and can even save more, that will get you a small holiday home further south, so you basically have everything sorted:-).

Jingsamichty Mar 27th 2019 3:36 pm

What about trimming costs in Dubai in order to save money? Apartment not villa, smaller car etc...might be preferable to "squashing into a flat" in London?

Millhouse Mar 27th 2019 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12661555)
What about trimming costs in Dubai in order to save money? Apartment not villa, smaller car etc...might be preferable to "squashing into a flat" in London?

Don't be so ridiculous.. Better to keep hubby trapped in the golden Saudi handcuffs and live it up in London instead.

Moving to the Uk and leaving him here to fund the wife's comfortable existance in the uk sounds like a path to suicide or the common expat combo of prositutes and resentment.. Only May could dream up a worse compromise.

Lul37 Mar 27th 2019 7:18 pm

Millhouse that is unfair to say. I’m the one who’s agreed to move back to his home country despite being happier in the Middle East where I’m from originally. When I married hubby at just 25 years old, I left my all my friends and family to start a new life abroad in the UK. It was hard for me but I adjusted. Now I’m being forced to move back because he’s so unhappy over here in Dubai. Even if we downgraded, he would still be unhappy and want to move back to London, if not this year then in the next three years. I’m not going to ‘live it up’ don’t u worry, I’ll be too busy trying to be in catchment of oversubscribed secondary schools to go drown my sorrows at the local pub.

Lul37 Mar 27th 2019 7:21 pm

Also if you read my post he would be staying back in Dubai for ONLY a year at most in order for us to save up some money to transport our belongings back to the UK and hopefully find a secure job in London.

Millhouse Mar 28th 2019 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Lul37 (Post 12661739)
Millhouse that is unfair to say. I’m the one who’s agreed to move back to his home country despite being happier in the Middle East where I’m from originally. When I married hubby at just 25 years old, I left my all my friends and family to start a new life abroad in the UK. It was hard for me but I adjusted. Now I’m being forced to move back because he’s so unhappy over here in Dubai. Even if we downgraded, he would still be unhappy and want to move back to London, if not this year then in the next three years. I’m not going to ‘live it up’ don’t u worry, I’ll be too busy trying to be in catchment of oversubscribed secondary schools to go drown my sorrows at the local pub.

I was teasing ... obviously it will be rubbish for you. It will also be rubbish for him. I just don't see how its a good idea.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2019 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12657865)
the 7:15 from Whitton.

Shudder.

I used to get the 0715 from Southampton Central. Same people, same tables of four, same sleepers, same shit conversations, same suits, same ties. ****ing hideous.

Taz786 Mar 28th 2019 7:34 am

Scamp Millhouse - I was considering to move back to London. You have set me straight and that idea is no longer an option.

Lul37 - Its not an easy situation to be in. Hope things work out. If I was not saving money in Dubai, I would move back to London where you have rights, family around, job stability, etc. Another poster mentioned downgrading in Dubai to save money which is one of your partners concerns.

Try and explain the following to your partner, 'Maybe the moon is beautiful only because it's far' or 'grass always looks greener on the other side'. I'm sure working life in London has its own issues which he can't foresee.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Millhouse Mar 28th 2019 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Taz786 (Post 12662087)
Try and explain the following to your partner, 'Maybe the moon is beautiful only because it's far' or 'grass always looks greener on the other side'.

all girls are beautiful after 10pints .Take to drinking.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Taz786 (Post 12662087)
Scamp Millhouse - I was considering to move back to London. You have set me straight and that idea is no longer an option..

In fairness, I commuted so it was a shit show of a day every day....it just so happened to be in summer and I was made sort of redundant and only suffered the journey for 6 months (stayed employed with a different part of the business, walking distance from home, so lucked out really).

That being said, in your 20's, London would be sick, it's where the big firms are, it's where you will advance, it's where the money is. But now I'm the ripe old age of 31, the regular working visits there are great, but that's enough. The underground is hateful, the people are all ***** it's just so ****ing busy all the time. The quality of life is actually pretty low I think. I could transfer back probably but it would be working basically in the city. It's two changes to get to Waterloo (or a long walk and one train) and then 1h15ish to Southampton. Thousands of quid to stand on a train, thousands to park, up at 0530 and home at 1930/2000. Where's the fun in that?

The dream is a small or big business with free parking, lunch provided, happy endings on Fridays, relaxed dress code and a nice environment in a sensible place like Southampton or Bristol or Reading sort of cities. Big enough, but commutable and pleasant (they're just 3 examples in the South off the top of my head. There will be better).

Moses2013 Mar 28th 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12662120)
In fairness, I commuted so it was a shit show of a day every day....it just so happened to be in summer and I was made sort of redundant and only suffered the journey for 6 months (stayed employed with a different part of the business, walking distance from home, so lucked out really).

That being said, in your 20's, London would be sick, it's where the big firms are, it's where you will advance, it's where the money is. But now I'm the ripe old age of 31, the regular working visits there are great, but that's enough. The underground is hateful, the people are all ***** it's just so ****ing busy all the time. The quality of life is actually pretty low I think. I could transfer back probably but it would be working basically in the city. It's two changes to get to Waterloo (or a long walk and one train) and then 1h15ish to Southampton. Thousands of quid to stand on a train, thousands to park, up at 0530 and home at 1930/2000. Where's the fun in that?

The dream is a small or big business with free parking, lunch provided, happy endings on Fridays, relaxed dress code and a nice environment in a sensible place like Southampton or Bristol or Reading sort of cities. Big enough, but commutable and pleasant (they're just 3 examples in the South off the top of my head. There will be better).

Good points and I would feel the same about London. No longer in the UK myself but I would assume that there are still many smaller cities in the UK that would offer the things you mentioned. I work in a city with population of around 80.000 and always had free parking, 2 of the 3 companies I worked for offered free lunch and in IT it's usually always relaxed dress code anyway. I usually finish around 4pm and home around 4:30/4:45pm (28km). I suppose it just depends what people see as quality of life but I would rather cut grass than be stuck on a crowded train every day. Others will of course think different.

Millhouse Mar 28th 2019 10:27 am

I lived in zone 5. Worked in the city. 10min walk to the station at each end and a 25min packed train sniffing an armpit or if I was lucky to get a seat sniffing an asscrack.. Leave at 8. Home by 7... The only thing I really hated was the rain and the cold and the dark and the moaning and the food and the asscracks and the terrible bathrooms without mixer taps.

Dunno what separating for a year solves, he will be shored up in a one bed in JLT, she will be cold in some miserable mid terrace house while they save money. He will still be too busy on the Riyadh red eye to look for a job in London. A year becomes 18mths etc... The only real solution is cut the costs in dubai, get a new job and put the misses to work... Or fully embrace a move to the uk (or Ireland of course).

Moses2013 Mar 28th 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12662155)
I lived in zone 5. Worked in the city. 10min walk to the station at each end and a 25min packed train sniffing an armpit or if I was lucky to get a seat sniffing an asscrack.. Leave at 8. Home by 7... The only thing I really hated was the rain and the cold and the dark and the moaning and the food and the asscracks and the terrible bathrooms without mixer taps.

That sounds like a lot to hate and I love the asscracks bit:-) We get our fair share of rain here too and especially winters can feel long cold and dark but I suppose it's a lot tougher if you have horrible surroundings + the commute. At least the evenings are getting brighter for us (yesterday was still bright around 7:30pm) and it makes a huge difference if you can drive along a pleasant country road rather than sitting in a horrible crowded train passing ugly buildings + the time you lose.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12662135)
Good points and I would feel the same about London. No longer in the UK myself but I would assume that there are still many smaller cities in the UK that would offer the things you mentioned. I work in a city with population of around 80.000 and always had free parking, 2 of the 3 companies I worked for offered free lunch and in IT it's usually always relaxed dress code anyway. I usually finish around 4pm and home around 4:30/4:45pm (28km). I suppose it just depends what people see as quality of life but I would rather cut grass than be stuck on a crowded train every day. Others will of course think different.

Amen to that. If I could get a good job (when I want to go back) somewhere like Salisbury where the old dear lives it would be perfect. Close enough to bigger things, close to the forest, close to the sea. It's just ideal....and as you say, there are shit loads of places like it.

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12662193)
That sounds like a lot to hate and I love the asscracks bit:-) We get our fair share of rain here too and especially winters can feel long cold and dark but I suppose it's a lot tougher if you have horrible surroundings + the commute. At least the evenings are getting brighter for us (yesterday was still bright around 7:30pm) and it makes a huge difference if you can drive along a pleasant country road rather than sitting in a horrible crowded train passing ugly buildings + the time you lose.

After leaving the company that moved me to and from London I worked in Lymington. A and B roads for 18 miles out of the city and into the New Forest. In winter it was always dark but such is, in summer it was too early for caravans to be out and it was just the BEST commute in a zippy A3, sun shining, tunes on, fag in hand. Glorious.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12662155)

Not too bad a commute but that 10min walk in rain is going to be hateful I bet.

Mixer taps. How the UK hasn't caught up with this is beyond me. I make a massive fuss of filling the sink with warm/hot water when I'm at Mum's. Having your options limited to scalding burns or ice bath is no way to wash your mitts post-poop.