Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hows the TV in Qatar?

Hows the TV in Qatar?

Old Oct 20th 2012, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hows the TV in Qatar?

Guys hows the tv situation over there?

Ive seen the deals and stuff and they seem reasonably priced and ive a fair idea on which channels i will and wont get.. Its more for the recording and stuff. I work away weeks at a time so rely massively on being able to record(remotely if poss)

Anyone have any comparisons as to say Sky TV or Virgin?

Also HD content and is there even 3D?

I dont mind spending a bit of money to get the best set up

Cheers
Old Oct 20th 2012, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Fizzy_Bear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hows the TV in Qatar?

OSN is available in Qatar. In Dubai they have a recordable box similar to SKy Plus so I am sure you will be able to get that in Qatar too. Their customer service is pretty helpful, you can email them at [email protected]
Old Oct 20th 2012, 9:26 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanC
Guys hows the tv situation over there?

Ive seen the deals and stuff and they seem reasonably priced and ive a fair idea on which channels i will and wont get.. Its more for the recording and stuff. I work away weeks at a time so rely massively on being able to record(remotely if poss)

Anyone have any comparisons as to say Sky TV or Virgin?

Also HD content and is there even 3D?

I dont mind spending a bit of money to get the best set up

Cheers
If you knew the Middle East, Qatar and Qtel in particular you would laugh at those questions. Infact once Qtel have dicked you about for the 20th time you will look back at this message and laugh............

In Summary - Reasonable priced - NO. Its QR660 a month for TV and 2mb Internet.

Recording, HD and 3D pretty much forget about.

You can get a basic box to watch a fair few channels until you get your Visa. When you get your visa be prepared to spend days off work being dicked around by feckless retards. I could tell you a thousand stories but this would end up being the longest message in BE history
Old Oct 20th 2012, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

I watch very little TV but last night I had some idle moments so I thought I would check out MBC4. Gawd, it isn't TV entertainment its all adverts. There was 80 seconds of 4 people dancing on something like So you think you can dance, followed by about 5 mins adverts for every hair preparation you can think of! Plus even the adverts are pathetic!
Old Oct 20th 2012, 12:14 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

The Q-tel Mosaic TV Service isn't available everywhere in Doha. I couldn't get it in my current flat in Old Al Salata area (right in the City Centre, near the airport!).

Watch out for the installation costs too, there will at least QR400 appearing on your first bill, and more charges if you cancel before a year is up.

[J]
Old Oct 20th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

get a Vee PEE N and watch UK TV on line.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

abysmal would sum it up with a crap 2mb internet connection that makes getting any streaming difficult and forget DLing unless you are patient.

Also Qtel put filters/blocks on websites that nobody else does.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
get a Vee PEE N and watch UK TV on line.
Whats a VPN mate?
Old Oct 21st 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Whats a VPN mate?
a VPN is server in UK which allows you to connect to the internet through the UK server and hence access on line UK TV: BBC and ITV I players . Find suppliers on Google cost about £9/month. BBC you can down load so internet speed is not a problem.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

<snip>

Last edited by Bob; Oct 21st 2012 at 7:01 pm. Reason: pm instead.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:21 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

a VPN is server in UK which allows you to connect to the internet through the UK server and hence access on line UK TV: BBC and ITV I players . Find suppliers on Google cost about £9/month. BBC you can down load so internet speed is not a problem.
I use one and watch BBC and ITV most nights. My 2mb is actually 3 for some reason and streams perfectly. More by luck than judgement.......
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I use one and watch BBC and ITV most nights. My 2mb is actually 3 for some reason and streams perfectly. More by luck than judgement.......
Frustrating thing with ITV is the programmes stream with occasional buffering. The adverts do not stream and cannot be by-passed. It appears the adverts need twice as much band width as the programmes.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Frustrating thing with ITV is the programmes stream with occasional buffering. The adverts do not stream and cannot be by-passed. It appears the adverts need twice as much band width as the programmes.
The ads on ITV player are the only things that don't stutter, buffer or look shit.

Very frustrating.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah ok i see

Its not as bad as i was thinking then

Is there anyway of getting ESPN or FOX?

2MB seems quite low as well. Its higher than i get here in the UK but these developing countries are usually much higher

Cheers
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ah ok i see

Its not as bad as i was thinking then

Is there anyway of getting ESPN or FOX?

2MB seems quite low as well. Its higher than i get here in the UK but these developing countries are usually much higher

Cheers
ESPN and Fox - Certainly in DXB, but not sure about Qatar, would assume so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.