Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How valued are Adobe skills in the UAE

How valued are Adobe skills in the UAE

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light
Default How valued are Adobe skills in the UAE

over the past few months I have self taught myself Adobe Photoshop, Flash ,Dreamweaver and InDesign. While I am yet to fully master them, my Photoshop retouching skills is becoming comparable to those of $140 per hour retouchers. I was just wondering how highly skills with these softwares are valued, I realise that career paths are vast, but which software will open up the most doors in Dubai. How valued are Adobe skills in the UAE-005a.jpg

How valued are Adobe skills in the UAE-005adark1.gif

I have attached an example of a before and after pic, please note I downloaded the before from a website.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How valued are Adobe skills in the UAE

My wife and I both prefer the "before" picture...more character with less unnatural complexion and weird eyes...they do such artwork in Karama for next to nothing. Good luck!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:35 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

its not just me then who thinks the before looks better
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

Its your choice to like the before more, but this question was in regards to the general value of Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver and InDesign in the UAE, and did not ask for a critique. I have had it critiqued by a professional retoucher and he liked it, even asked me for the technique I used on skin, and told me that the eye colour was too saturated and vivid.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:10 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Worldismine
Its your choice to like the before more, but this question was in regards to the general value of Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver and InDesign in the UAE, and did not ask for a critique. I have had it critiqued by a professional retoucher and he liked it, even asked me for the technique I used on skin, and told me that the eye colour was too saturated and vivid.
I am a heavyweight artworker over here, get paid pretty well I guess, and I use indesign and photoshop and illustrator, you say you've recently taught yourself? You need experience over here for jobs, and there are lots of indians who do what you do for not loads of cash to be honest.

What sort of work are you looking for?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I am a heavyweight artworker over here, get paid pretty well I guess, and I use indesign and photoshop and illustrator, you say you've recently taught yourself? You need experience over here for jobs, and there are lots of indians who do what you do for not loads of cash to be honest.

What sort of work are you looking for?

I'm looking for something in either marketing communications, web design or just plain old retouching. That was only my second retouch attempt. To gain experience I was thinking of freelancing and developing a portfolio with projects that incorporate all the software.

How much experience did you have before you started in Dubai?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:12 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking for something in either marketing communications, web design or just plain old retouching. That was only my second retouch attempt. To gain experience I was thinking of freelancing and developing a portfolio with projects that incorporate all the software.

How much experience did you have before you started in Dubai?
but if you freelance they'll expect top quality work, and over here you'll need contacts, do you have any?

And you don't really need retouch for the web as the images are 72dpi so you can't really so the quality anyway.

I've got 13 years experience.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:20 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

over the past few months I have self taught myself Adobe Photoshop, Flash ,Dreamweaver and InDesign. While I am yet to fully master them, my Photoshop retouching skills is becoming comparable to those of $140 per hour retouchers. I was just wondering how highly skills with these softwares are valued, I realise that career paths are vast, but which software will open up the most doors in Dubai. Attachment 69403

Attachment 69404

I have attached an example of a before and after pic, please note I downloaded the before from a website.
I know some people that work 'freelance' in this arena and they charge big bucks. I am not sure how the freelancing bit works for them ... obviously someone needs to sponsor them.

You do need to be good, as someone said there will be plenty of people that will be happy to do the job for a fraction of what you may charge. I used a Canadian freelance guy for lots of graphic work on brouchures, letterheads, book marks etc ... his work was really good compared to some others in the market.

I am just learning InDesign ... I hate it so far ... I more used to PPT!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spugsy
but if you freelance they'll expect top quality work, and over here you'll need contacts, do you have any?

And you don't really need retouch for the web as the images are 72dpi so you can't really so the quality anyway.

I've got 13 years experience.
I was actually thinking of freelancing in London, then moving abroad after I have gained experience and established some contacts. Yeah in the Mid East I have a few contacts, especially in Oman.

Yes, quality work is a must, and while the pic I attached is not great, for someone with only a few months experience of PS and as a second retouch attempt I think it's good, and not to far off the standard set by established freelancers. Naturally I am still learning the softwares through practice and books, but I am starting to prefer and sway towards Photoshop and Flash, although I will still keep up with dreamweaver and InDesign to increase my opportunities.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
I know some people that work 'freelance' in this arena and they charge big bucks. I am not sure how the freelancing bit works for them ... obviously someone needs to sponsor them.

You do need to be good, as someone said there will be plenty of people that will be happy to do the job for a fraction of what you may charge. I used a Canadian freelance guy for lots of graphic work on brouchures, letterheads, book marks etc ... his work was really good compared to some others in the market.

InDesign is not the most entertaining of softwares, but it does help if your learn from a well written book. Try " Exploring InDesign", unlike most it places a great deal of emphasis on typography.

And how much are these softwares over there, In London Creative Suite Design Premium CS3 , which has PS,Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, and ID cost £1600 a few months ago ( I got for £240 with a student discount), now the price has dropped slightly as CS4 will be coming out within the next 12 months
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:49 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

InDesign is not the most entertaining of softwares, but it does help if your learn from a well written book. Try " Exploring InDesign", unlike most it places a great deal of emphasis on typography.

And how much are these softwares over there, In London Creative Suite Design Premium CS3 , which has PS,Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, and ID cost £1600 a few months ago ( I got for £240 with a student discount), now the price has dropped slightly as CS4 will be coming out within the next 12 months
Tell me about it!!! I almost fell asleep in the training session. The trainer was as dull as dishwater though. Will try out the book ... cheers for the tip.

Our company pay about 4,000dhs for each licence for InDesign. I have no idea about the costs for the other packages ... Photoshop kinda fell into my lap
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:52 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

There may be a market for designing artwork in technical reports and brochures, where there is a need to show diagrammtic sketches or drawings.

Both engineering and environmental consultants use them.

I do my own work in Illustrator CS3, and also resort to Photoshop CS2 and In design CS2.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tell me about it!!! I almost fell asleep in the training session. The trainer was as dull as dishwater though. Will try out the book ... cheers for the tip.

Our company pay about 4,000dhs for each licence for InDesign. I have no idea about the costs for the other packages ... Photoshop kinda fell into my lap
No probs, I just finished my final year of Uni, and have had my share of boringly boring lecturers.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MacScot
There may be a market for designing artwork in technical reports and brochures, where there is a need to show diagrammtic sketches or drawings.

Both engineering and environmental consultants use them.

I do my own work in Illustrator CS3, and also resort to Photoshop CS2 and In design CS2.
To heavy for me, and it would require math skills.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:37 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Indesign is brilliant, miles better than quark - what the hell is ppt? powerpoint???

what line of work are you in then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.