British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How useless are your staff? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-useless-your-staff-744143/)

lullabelle Jan 7th 2012 5:29 pm

How useless are your staff?

I have three - THREE - decent people out of fifteen. That's decent. Not good, not particularly talented, just decent. :unsure:

The rest are backstabbing little ****ers who haven't a brain cell between them. I've had to deal with total incompetence, breathless uselessness and astonishing egos. One guy told me last week that he couldn't make meetings because he was a genius. Really. Another actually sabotaged an edit in a misguided attempt to make me look bad. My news producer (ex, since Thursday) thought two week old stories were news and frequently got the story completely wrong anyway.

I'm thinking of designing a t-shirt with "I'm with stupid" on it and arrows pointing in all directions, including up at my face for agreeing to work with this bunch of reprobates.

Whilst moaning on about this to my mate, she claimed that this was normal in the middle east...

Is it? I'm intrigued to know. Cos Ive certainly never come across such monumental crapness in my entire life.

auzdafluff Jan 7th 2012 6:21 pm

Re: How useless are your staff?

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9826990)
I have three - THREE - decent people out of fifteen. That's decent. Not good, not particularly talented, just decent. :unsure:

The rest are backstabbing little ****ers who haven't a brain cell between them. I've had to deal with total incompetence, breathless uselessness and astonishing egos. One guy told me last week that he couldn't make meetings because he was a genius. Really. Another actually sabotaged an edit in a misguided attempt to make me look bad. My news producer (ex, since Thursday) thought two week old stories were news and frequently got the story completely wrong anyway.

I'm thinking of designing a t-shirt with "I'm with stupid" on it and arrows pointing in all directions, including up at my face for agreeing to work with this bunch of reprobates.

Whilst moaning on about this to my mate, she claimed that this was normal in the middle east...

Is it? I'm intrigued to know. Cos Ive certainly never come across such monumental crapness in my entire life.

It is. I'm always asking myself whether being made to work alone on a magazine is a blessing or a curse. In the UK, it'd be a straight curse. Over here though, I'm not so sure.

The Dean Jan 7th 2012 6:44 pm

Nationalities?

flares Jan 7th 2012 6:58 pm

stereotypes exist for a reason

twisty100 Jan 7th 2012 10:44 pm

BRILLIANT..:) Welcome to Dubai...:)

guuuude Jan 8th 2012 2:33 am

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 9827402)
BRILLIANT..:) Welcome to Dubai...:)

:rofl::rofl: Not only dubai, welcome to Doha as well ,-)

NurseNinja Jan 8th 2012 4:19 am

not wanting to badmouth an entire people : but one might say their is a void of work ethic here

lullabelle Jan 8th 2012 4:23 am

The crap people broken down into nationalities in order of crapness

Iranian
Pakistani
Filipino

I would say the Iranians fall into the "backstabbing sabotaging *genius* category.

The Pakistani's and Filipino's into the "bloody useless, no initiative, no sense" category.

But my three best ones are from Iran, Pakistan and the Philippines. So you cant really generalise on nationalities.

guuuude Jan 8th 2012 4:28 am

its also depends on the industrie where they work in. Eg Philipinios have a good knowledge of CNC machinery some of them are able to work in europe!!

iamthestig Jan 8th 2012 5:19 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9827811)
The crap people broken down into nationalities in order of crapness

Iranian
Pakistani
Filipino

I would say the Iranians fall into the "backstabbing sabotaging *genius* category.

The Pakistani's and Filipino's into the "bloody useless, no initiative, no sense" category.

But my three best ones are from Iran, Pakistan and the Philippines. So you cant really generalise on nationalities.

Count yourself lucky you don't have to work with Lebos and Egyptians...

The cherry on the cake is our HR department which is almost entirely staffed by locals, a more useless bunch I have never come across in 30 odd years of working. I haven't been paid on time once, lost passports, screwed up iqama, no health insurance for months, 10 months wait for expenses to be paid... I reckon 15% of my total working time here has been wasted trying to get things sorted out in HR.

LaLaLayla Jan 8th 2012 5:52 am

Yep. It's normal. When I worked at a certain Sovereign Wealth Fund you had one person for one job. The same job that they had been doing for 15+ years. And they were still crap at it. And when they were off, the job wouldn't get done.

Useless. Lazy. No accountability. Welcome to the UAE :D

lullabelle Jan 8th 2012 10:12 am

Originally Posted by iamthestig (Post 9827883)
Count yourself lucky you don't have to work with Lebos and Egyptians...

The cherry on the cake is our HR department which is almost entirely staffed by locals, a more useless bunch I have never come across in 30 odd years of working. I haven't been paid on time once, lost passports, screwed up iqama, no health insurance for months, 10 months wait for expenses to be paid... I reckon 15% of my total working time here has been wasted trying to get things sorted out in HR.

My old HR department was mostly locals apart from one poor overworked guy.

They were entirely useless.

One of them spent the entire month putting together the email which featured pictures and mini biogs of new recruits. Maybe 4 or 5 people each month. She still managed to spell my name wrong, mix it up with someone else's, and claim I'd learned lighting design in the Phillipines (errr.... not me guv)

Robajob Jan 8th 2012 3:36 pm

The guys that work for me aren't too bad, apart from a moments of intense stupidity..

The Dean Jan 9th 2012 3:51 am

You all seem to be assuming that these employees are "useless", "incompetent", etc............ thus implying that they don't know any better.

I actually have a theory that it's deliberate.

lullabelle Jan 9th 2012 5:12 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9829540)
You all seem to be assuming that these employees are "useless", "incompetent", etc............ thus implying that they don't know any better.

I actually have a theory that it's deliberate.

It is. But having seen their body of work before I joined I can confirm that they have always been pretty crap.

Anyway, had enough. Going home. This lot and the shoreline saga has finished me off. We're outta here by end of Jan I think.

Miss Anne Thrope Jan 10th 2012 5:40 am

Wow, listen to yourselves... Every cliche about supercilious insulated stuck-up deluded British Expats comes to sordid sneering life.

Not in my name!

I look forward now to reading (elsewhere of course) the corresponding forum on "How unbearable are your British Expats?"

TGFKASE Jan 10th 2012 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 9832050)
Wow, listen to yourselves... Every cliche about supercilious insulated stuck-up deluded British Expats comes to sordid sneering life.

Not in my name!

I look forward now to reading (elsewhere of course) the corresponding forum on "How unbearable are your British Expats?"

Code Black!! Code Black....

We are being attacked by Expat Woman..!!!

iamthestig Jan 10th 2012 9:09 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9832053)
Code Black!! Code Black....

We are being attacked by Expat Woman..!!!

Er... That little blue symbol next to his username should be a clue :whistle:

Miss Anne Thrope = misanthrope, someone who doesn't exactly empathise with any of us...

TGFKASE Jan 10th 2012 9:36 am

Originally Posted by iamthestig (Post 9832324)
Er... That little blue symbol next to his username should be a clue :whistle:

Miss Anne Thrope = misanthrope, someone who doesn't exactly empathise with any of us...

..and, as per the definition, a perfect example of an EW poster....

lullabelle Jan 10th 2012 2:39 pm

Not in my name!

Welcome to the bored. Now, how much do you pay your maid?

Bahtatboy Jan 10th 2012 4:30 pm

If it wasn't for the lack of grammatical ignorance and egotistical ranting, I'd suggest this was from the twunt across the pond. No hint of what he does or whether he has staff to manage.

We have a mixture of the usual for out here, and I must say that they're generally a good bunch. Sometimes lacking in imagination, but they compare favourably with the white-collar workforce I've worked with in the UK. However, from a purely empirical assessment, the Pareto principle certainly does apply when connecting ease-of-working-with and certain ethnic groups.

commander Jan 11th 2012 3:28 am

you say "your" staff. By that i am lead to believe that you are the boss?

"MY" staff are excellent. they never used to be and hence were replaced..

Dont you have the sway to get these idiots fired?

commander Jan 11th 2012 3:31 am

Not in my name!

get a grip. We all know this region is retarded and lacking certain work ethics that we take as second nature back home..

Im not sordid, stuck up nore deluded. Ive lived and worked in this region for enough years to know and accept the fact that there are a lot of lazy ****ers around.

Pray tell, what do you do and how long have you lived here?

lullabelle Jan 11th 2012 3:54 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9834426)
you say "your" staff. By that i am lead to believe that you are the boss?

"MY" staff are excellent. they never used to be and hence were replaced..

Dont you have the sway to get these idiots fired?

I was in the process... two had been fired. When I started I was told that if I didn't rate any of them then they would be sacked. There were... complications. Like the most useless ones being family of the ultimate big boss. Who is borderline psychotic. I'd be trying to discipline them and get them to work to a structure, impose decent standards etc, and they'd all be round at his fancy pants flat in the Burj K in the evening, bitching, backstabbing and getting him to "agree" with them over programming changes etc. You cant work like that. I cant work like that, anyway.

All academic now anyway as I'm off home at the end of the month. It was the sabotage that got me... never seen that in my industry before. Ever.

kittycat1 Jan 11th 2012 4:18 am

lullabelle- your off as well?

lots of people offski at the moment :unsure:

Sandboy Jan 11th 2012 5:12 am

mine are top lads - would take them all back to blighty if I could

flares Jan 11th 2012 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 9834594)
mine are top lads - would take them all back to blighty if I could

and quadruple their wages to get to UK min wage :starsmile:

TGFKASE Jan 11th 2012 5:48 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9834433)
get a grip. We all know this region is retarded and lacking certain work ethics that we take as second nature back home..

Im not sordid, stuck up nore deluded. Ive lived and worked in this region for enough years to know and accept the fact that there are a lot of lazy ****ers around.

Pray tell, what do you do and how long have you lived here?

Ahh, its good to see you back.....:goodpost:

commander Jan 11th 2012 7:30 am

In out on a job in South Africa right now, I have a spare minute. Noticed nothing much has changed. Still nothing but 'moving to dubai and can't be arsed finding out anything' posts from people who have no real ambition to move here and those who 'want' to get a job in dubai like its the easiest thing in the world.

TGFKASE Jan 11th 2012 7:58 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9834821)
In out on a job in South Africa right now, I have a spare minute. Noticed nothing much has changed. Still nothing but 'moving to dubai and can't be arsed finding out anything' posts from people who have no real ambition to move here and those who 'want' to get a job in dubai like its the easiest thing in the world.

A lot more thin skinned as well, as I found to my cost when I returned a couple of weeks ago....

OleJanx Jan 11th 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9834861)
A lot more thin skinned as well, as I found to my cost when I returned a couple of weeks ago....

Thin skinned, but thick-headed...

Miss Anne Thrope Jan 26th 2012 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9832928)
Welcome to the bored. Now, how much do you pay your maid?

Bit late I realise, but I wouldn't want to leave this without a response. Your assumption that I have a maid sums up the colonialist attitude that many - but NOT all - expats seem to adopt here (and, I must say, elsewhere in the developing world where I have lived and visited). This attitude is also encapsulated in the question that leads this thread.

I have never had a "maid" and (in response to another question) I have lived in the Gulf for most of a decade. A lady from a cleaning service cleans my house twice a week and I pay about 70% of what I paid for a similar service in London. As many have commented, it's amazing how essential a maid seems to be to so many people in this region when they would never have contemplated such a pretentious extravagance back home.

This article captures the phenomenon quite well:
http://www.economist.com/node/21541712

The killer quote comes at the end:
"But sometimes the point of having a servant is simply to be a master."

Pertinent also to a thread that assumes that, as a manager, you would be pompous enough to consider the people for whom you are responsible as "your staff"....

Fahd Jan 26th 2012 3:52 pm

If your staff is useless , why you accept to work with them ? your acceptance means that you can make them better or you are probably having the same problem !

Millsyisland Jan 26th 2012 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fahd (Post 9866883)
If your staff is useless , why you accept to work with them ? your acceptance means that you can make them better or you are probably having the same problem !

Sometimes you simply have to put up with the staff you have. Competent expat v incompetent local is a non -starter...

Chris_m Jan 26th 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9834523)
lullabelle- your off as well?

lots of people offski at the moment :unsure:

Its called DO-BYE for a reason :)

Brains1983 Jan 26th 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 9866799)
Bit late I realise, but I wouldn't want to leave this without a response. Your assumption that I have a maid sums up the colonialist attitude that many - but NOT all - expats seem to adopt here (and, I must say, elsewhere in the developing world where I have lived and visited). This attitude is also encapsulated in the question that leads this thread.

I have never had a "maid" and (in response to another question) I have lived in the Gulf for most of a decade. A lady from a cleaning service cleans my house twice a week and I pay about 70% of what I paid for a similar service in London. As many have commented, it's amazing how essential a maid seems to be to so many people in this region when they would never have contemplated such a pretentious extravagance back home.

This article captures the phenomenon quite well:
http://www.economist.com/node/21541712

The killer quote comes at the end:
"But sometimes the point of having a servant is simply to be a master."

Pertinent also to a thread that assumes that, as a manager, you would be pompous enough to consider the people for whom you are responsible as "your staff"....

You strike me as a bit of a knob.

commander Jan 27th 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9867486)
You strike me as a bit of a knob.

I agree with his last paragraph though.

co durham boy Jan 27th 2012 1:28 pm

Sorry to buck the trend but i have quite a good bunch saying that some of them have been with me for over 10 years so they know whats expected of them and to what standard they need to be at.

Even in times of mundane boredom they're still capable of an almighty fu** up.

Managing people is one of the biggest challenges here and working with sub standard personnel in a stressful environment can be horrendous.

But that's why they pay us the big money people

mentalist Jan 27th 2012 4:37 pm

Considering what they are paid, my work colleagues and subordinates are pretty damned good. No complaints whatsoever.