How to rent?

Old Mar 12th 2018, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice
Default How to rent?

Hi All,

Now that we have made the decision to move, wondering how rentals work in Dubai?

I have been advised my employer will help cover the 1 year upfront rent but I am struggling to understand how to engage agents. I understand this will be best when we get there end of next month or so but is it too early to start looking now? I will be put up for 1 month in a hotel or somewhere and will need to find a place during that time.

My work will be in DIFC and we're looking for a place in The Villa or Dubai silicone Oasis as both seem to get us a decent sized place which will be close to school (looking at GEMS First Point).

So do you usually work with 1 agent to view multiple properties or do you reach out to every agent individually? Over here, the listing and your agent divide the commission so you work with one agent but not sure how it works there. I sent someone a message through the website the other day and he ended up adding me on Whatsapp, we're best friends now.

Anyone know any good agents or companies?
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to rent?

Originally Posted by shake2000
Hi All,

Now that we have made the decision to move, wondering how rentals work in Dubai?

I have been advised my employer will help cover the 1 year upfront rent but I am struggling to understand how to engage agents. I understand this will be best when we get there end of next month or so but is it too early to start looking now? I will be put up for 1 month in a hotel or somewhere and will need to find a place during that time.

My work will be in DIFC and we're looking for a place in The Villa or Dubai silicone Oasis as both seem to get us a decent sized place which will be close to school (looking at GEMS First Point).

So do you usually work with 1 agent to view multiple properties or do you reach out to every agent individually? Over here, the listing and your agent divide the commission so you work with one agent but not sure how it works there. I sent someone a message through the website the other day and he ended up adding me on Whatsapp, we're best friends now.

I have lived here for 12 years and never found a decent agent to work with. Most are brilliant whilst you are looking but once you have handed over the cheques they are never to be seen again. Most people find the area/apt/villa they are interested in and use the agent (s) who work for the landlord
Two decent sites to look at are www.justrentals.com and www.propertyfinder.ae. I would barter like crazy as the rents have come down. I would try and find one that someone is still living in as then you can test to see if all the appliances etc are working, ask the tenant about the area/noise etc take notes/pics of any damages/issues and make sure the agency/LL are aware of this
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

What's your budget?

Both the Villa and DSO are "out" there from my view. Cedre Villas at DSO is nice enough. Villa has larger villas but the downside is fewer amenities around and massive AC bills. And it means navigating the behemoth that is E311 daily, which is no fun. Either places you'll spend a lot of time driving.

I understand the school is close but why Gems First Point of all the schools in Dubai?

My personal preference is Jumeirah / Umm Suqeim. Close to DIFC. Right along the beaches. Location is fabulous and feels like you're having a proper Dubai experience rather than some jerry-built suburban estate in the desert.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hi All,

Treat them the way they'll treat you....badly.

Just start looking for places. Go on Dubizzle when you're here and start contacting every advert you like the look of for a viewing. Might be different with villas but the amount of apartments I viewed on my own without an agent was mental. Then paid the bastards 5% for **** all help.

May obviously find some good ones who have several properties and can take you round but don't expect the majority to be helpful, listen at all or provide any sort of service.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 7:03 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Even the very largest agents cannot be trusted. It really is a case of - ''do your own research''. I was quite lucky (third time around) when I sold my flat - with agency called F orest.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice

Thank you all.

To summarize, do your research, don't trust the agent and give them hell!

Now DXBtoDOH brings up a good point on location. We're looking for something that is 4 bedrooms and not ancient with a budget of around 170-180. I understand the options are limited but would love to hear of any other areas that meet this need.

For The Villa, I do not plan on getting the massive mansions as they have some plans that are decent size and 4 bedrooms (Cordova?). I do not mind the 20-25 minute commute and was working with the principal that you should always live near to the school so the Mrs does not go bonkers during the school run. I honestly have no idea on schools and would welcome any feedback. She will be starting FS2 which I hear is a challenge to get into.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

ISPExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

I used House Hunters a few times give excellent service and support. Most agents don’t do much and you have to pay 5% to them for that.
Before signing anything go to the property with the Agent and the owner if possible and take photos and make a note of any damage, cracks, missing items, etc. and get them to service the A/C or show you the service receipt. If the electricity and water are activiated test every light, socket and run all the taps, showers, flush the toilets to make sure they are working.
Also check with Etisilat or Du (phone, Internet, Satelite TV) to see if there is any outstanding bills due as this can sometimes be a hassle if the previous tennant has not cleared what they owe. Do the same with DEWA (Dubai Electricity and Water), number should be by the main door, can check online or by calling them.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted this elsewhere and i think it is a great guide to renting

Make sure you can afford it: Yes, the crown molding and new shower seem amazing now, but in three months when you're pinching pennies to pay rent those amenities might not look so hot. Make a budget and stick to it. You might not get the perfect place, but you won't get the one that will send you to the poor house, either.

Don't pay for anything until you've seen the apartment: There are many ways to be scammed, and apartment hunting is one of them. If someone wants to charge you to see an apartment then that is a red flag. If they want to rent you the apartment sight unseen that is a double red flag. Basically, do not exchange any money until you are sure this is a legit transaction on a place you want to live in.

If the landlord seems too eager to rent you the place, be careful: Sometimes the landlord just might actually be eager, but if they want to bypass credit checks and such then chances are this might not end well. Without credit checks and paper trails, it will be tougher to rectify things down the line, if need be. It also means there may be something seriously wrong with the building or apartment itself. However, if you are willing to roll the dice just don't say I didn't warn you.

Gauge your landlord: This is something you should really think about even though it seems sort of weird. Things to consider: Do they live on-site? How close is their apartment to yours? Do they seem like they'll be all up in your business? Many a great apartment has been ruined by an awful landlord, so try and get a good feeling for yours before it's too late.

Try to meet your potential neighbors: Like your landlord, your neighbors can make or break an apartment, so try your best to see what you are getting yourself into. You don't want to be surprised your first night there that your new neighbor watches Murder She Wrote at an ungodly volume, or that they're night vacuumers.

Figure out where the common walls are: Speaking of neighbors, you should also factor in how many shared walls you will have and which ones those are. Is your bedroom wall the other side of your neighbor's living room? Or vice versa? Either way somebody will have some complaining in their future if you don't notice these things now.

Visit the neighborhood on nights and weekends before signing anything: What is quiet with ample parking during the day may be loud and crowded at night. Do yourself a favor and scope out your potential hood before you find out that there's a club next door that hosts all-ages noisecore shows. Unless, of course, you're really into noisecore.

Consider their pet policy: Even if you don't plan on having pets it's nice to know what the policy is exactly. You know, just in case your neighbor across the way leaves his door open and his pet tiger escapes.

Consider the commute: Is cheaper and farther more appealing than expensive and close? You be the judge.

Go over exactly what utilities are covered: Having utilities included is awesome and another headache you don't have to deal with, but be crystal clear on what you are getting and what you aren't. Water, gas, and power? Internet? These can be defining factors when choosing an apartment, so do your due diligence. Also, just because it says, "AC included" it does not mean the power is paid for. It just means you don't have to provide your own.

Check all the faucets and flush all the toilets: This is something a lot of people never think to do, but trust me and do it. If there is any issue you can bring it up now and hopefully it can be addressed by the landlord. I mean, there is nothing worst than turning on the tap for the first time and being surprised by barely-dripping brown water while the toilet floods.

Make sure the air conditioning and heater work: Again, do this on your first visit so that if anything isn't working it can be fixed beforehand. And if your place has neither of these things then, well, keep looking?

Open all of the drawers, cabinets, and doors: This is a great way to tell how many times things have been painted over since the more paint means the more things will be tough to get open. It's better to find out which is the sticky cabinet now than later.

Make a checklist and take photos: Walk around with the landlord and note any preexisting issues the apartment might have, i.e. chipped paint, a broken handle, etc., taking pictures of each thing. After you are done have the landlord sign the checklist, insuring you that when you move out these issues will not be taken out of your security deposit since they were there to begin with.

And most importantly... Scope out your power outlets: There is nothing more infuriating than getting the keys to a new place only to find out that where you thought the TV was going to go can't because – surprise, surprise – there isn't an outlet on that wall. Not only that, but there are only two outlets in the whole room, and only one of them works. Why didn't you look for this before you signed the lease? Well, at least your AC is working. Hopefully.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:49 pm
peterparker

Sometimes villas are not locked up - which you can notice if the agent has/hasn't a key. It means you may be able to go back to look again by yourself (after mentioning to agent you may look at the property again). I saw some villas like that - gave me more time there to consider them and another thing - listen for heavy traffic nearby in rush hour.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your feedback.

So I am struggling on this (researching). Arabian ranches area is the same time/KM from DIFC as DSO and the Villa but is there something I am missing?

I see Arabian Ranches area is pretty dense, does this cause issues with traffic? Either way, I would need to take the E311 which I was told is no fun. I still feel The Villa/ DSO area might be better but am really confused now.

What other options are there? What areas am I missing?

All my research is based on Google Maps.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your feedback.

So I am struggling on this (researching). Arabian ranches area is the same time/KM from DIFC as DSO and the Villa but is there something I am missing?

I see Arabian Ranches area is pretty dense, does this cause issues with traffic? Either way, I would need to take the E311 which I was told is no fun. I still feel The Villa/ DSO area might be better but am really confused now.

What other options are there? What areas am I missing?

All my research is based on Google Maps.
Might be worth considering Arabian Ranches 2 ..... plenty of decent new properties have just been released to landlords which is keeping the rents very competitive and good value IMHO.

House Hunters have already been recommended, I would echo that. I found them excellent and very helpful through the whole process.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 9:32 am
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I would wait until you get here as schools are such a subjective choice and you will want to go with your gut feel - both of you! Once you have a school place then find your home. I am with DXBtoDOH - closer to the beach is a great place to live and there are compounds within that price range - you will need to look though and they will be the older style (best bet is to drive around - lots of 'To Let' signs with telephone numbers.) Schools _ Horizon English School, JPS, Kings and Horizon International are worth a look. (Places at JESS are unlikely!). If you want further afield - try Arabian Ranches Primary, Safa Community, Jebel Ali (large debenture though). Yes - FS2 places are harder to get BUT there is quite a bit movement here at the moment and new schools popping up all the time!
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Mustang Sally, appreciate the input.

We plan on officially starting the search when we get there but I ask as we would like to narrow down some options before we get there. For now, the following make the cut:

1. DSO - New, fair size and school is near. My work commute will be 20-25 mins (based on timing)
2. The Villa - Same as above but we have been cautioned against the high utility (air conditioning) cost.
3. Arabian Ranches 2 - New and based on feedback - No idea how schooling is but the downside is a longer busier commute for me.
4. Close to Beach - I have seen some villas online and they are OLD. We would much rather prefer something new but will wait and watch.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome!
Maybe add Jumeirah Park to your list - Dubai British school there and reasonable access to Sheik Z rd.

Manor House Primary in the Al Safa area is fairly new and therefore more likely to have places. Again, that area has easy access to SZ Rd.

Definitely newer villas around closer to the beach - lookout for compounds - if you get the right one - great for kids (and parents too!)
Old Mar 19th 2018, 7:27 pm
peterparker

If you join groups on facebook for developments like AR etc you get more knowledge of them from people there. Also there may be some direct private rentals posted. I am somehow on Jumeirah Park facebook and there is a villa showing for sale or rent at the moment (by friend of owner?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.