Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How much is enough?

How much is enough?

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

bobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant future
Cool How much is enough?

Hello All,
Maybe somebody out their will be able to help me. I have been offered a post with a construction company in Dubai offering 32000 AED plus car per month.
I have looked at renting a property similar to my own size of property in the UK, frankly I nearly fell of my chair! Do I also have to pay municipality tax and a commission to the estate agent for all the legal stuff when renting? The costs of living seems high or have I been looking in the wrong places?
No kids, just me and the wife.
Me, MCIOB and 15 years experience, large projects.
Best Regards.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:05 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is enough?

Originally Posted by bobkivell
Hello All,
Maybe somebody out their will be able to help me. I have been offered a post with a construction company in Dubai offering 32000 AED plus car per month.
I have looked at renting a property similar to my own size of property in the UK, frankly I nearly fell of my chair! Do I also have to pay municipality tax and a commission to the estate agent for all the legal stuff when renting? The costs of living seems high or have I been looking in the wrong places?
Best Regards.
That's plenty of dosh, but yes, it is expensive, and lots of hidden costs (fees) everywhere.

Plus, especially for construction if you will have to do on-site stuff, it's a billion degrees there in the summer.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hello All,
Best Regards.
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!
Pretty good salary for a couple with no kids - so congratulations

Yes, you would have to shell out 5% of your annual rent as municipality tax every year. This is normally collected every month through you Water & Leccy bill. If you rent through a Real Estate Agent, then yes, you would have to pay his commission too (normally a months rent - not sure, but some collect two months rent - so ask in advance). Not sure what you mean by 'legal stuff' when renting - no one uses legal counsel for buying let alone renting

IG
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

bobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant futurebobkivell has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!
Pretty good salary for a couple with no kids - so congratulations

Yes, you would have to shell out 5% of your annual rent as municipality tax every year. This is normally collected every month through you Water & Leccy bill. If you rent through a Real Estate Agent, then yes, you would have to pay his commission too (normally a months rent - not sure, but some collect two months rent - so ask in advance). Not sure what you mean by 'legal stuff' when renting - no one uses legal counsel for buying let alone renting

IG
Legal stuff tenancy agreement and such, but as I understand it then, I could just walk off the street into a letting agency and say I'll have that one please and they will charge me? What do they do for the money? Are there any pitfalls in renting privately? Reputable agents?
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TA5
That's plenty of dosh, but yes, it is expensive, and lots of hidden costs (fees) everywhere.

Plus, especially for construction if you will have to do on-site stuff, it's a billion degrees there in the summer.
Hi thanks for the above, can you expand on the hidden fees a little?
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Tortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really nice

Hi bob,

I don’t know what you earn in the UK but the offer doesn't appear to be enticing enough to up sticks. Relocation is an expensive business.

Given your experience they ought to provide you with accommodation on top of that. What specific field are you working in, commercial or engineering? If you are working for a contractor the chances are you will be working all hours six days a week. Have you factored this into the equation?
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:37 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Cool Re: How much is enough?

Hello All,
Best Regards.
Things always look good in any job offer until you arrive and get your contract in Arabic. Make sure everything you want is in your job offer as you will not be able to renogotiate it once you arrive. Construction industy works a 6 1/2 days a week here in 47+c degrees. It never reaches 50c as then the workers can stop working.

Rental rates depend where you are living. We pay 80k for a 3 story 3 bed 2 1/2 bath villa in Mirdiff. It was 60k 2 years ago. 3 bed villa in Safa Park is approx 140k. All new builds are small and seem to have very dark window tinting. Our villa is older and middle terrace but we have a large living room with 3 sets of patio doors in it with light tinting. It's not perfect but the rent is reasonable, repairs get done as soon as they are required.

What you have to consider it the traffic which is horrendous. I work in City Tower IIon Sheikh Zayed Road, last year it took me on average 30 minutes o get from Mirdiff into the office leaving at 7:00am, it now takes me 50 - 55 minutes, providing there are not any accidents.

For anyone reading this psoting and thinking of working here, it is illigal for employers to keep anyone's passport. This is common practice here, not so much for people with Eurpoean passports but certainly other nationalities.

Good luck wih the job.

Maggie
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Hello All,
Best Regards.
HI many thanks for replies, after visting Dubai and looking at the contract its not for me, I dont think 32AED is anywhere near enough looking at the rents and for working a 60 hour week. Best of luck .
Rob.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rob,
My OH is also in construction (PQS) and like you had offers of jobs in Dubai which had been our first choice. Then a job in Doha, Qatar was offered and at first we both thought "Qatar?"
But after looking into it more and finding info from folk on here and other places, we realised that maybe Doha was worth a try.
Hubby sets off in 3 days time, and I will follow later.
Rents seem 'reasonable' although many complain that they have risen due to the Asian games, most will advise you to let the company find you the accomodation rather than give an allowance.
Malteser and Novita are both in Qatar and may offer much more help and advice than I can, but maybe you should look to Qatar and not rule out M.E work yet.
Hope to see you there.
Good Luck
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rascal
Hi Rob,
My OH is also in construction (PQS) and like you had offers of jobs in Dubai which had been our first choice. Then a job in Doha, Qatar was offered and at first we both thought "Qatar?"
But after looking into it more and finding info from folk on here and other places, we realised that maybe Doha was worth a try.
Hubby sets off in 3 days time, and I will follow later.
Rents seem 'reasonable' although many complain that they have risen due to the Asian games, most will advise you to let the company find you the accomodation rather than give an allowance.
Malteser and Novita are both in Qatar and may offer much more help and advice than I can, but maybe you should look to Qatar and not rule out M.E work yet.
Hope to see you there.
Good Luck
Hi, still thinking of looking in ME but not Dubai, maybe Abu Dahbi? or other regions.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

PS I have a contact in Dubai who also has Qatar positions available.
It is [email protected]

Hope you find something suitable soon.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

We opted for Qatar due to hearing how busy Dubai was becoming, Qatar sounded the right place to be at the right time, ie plenty of new construction with years & years ahead to look forward to.
Maybe worth a try?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Mpayne is a jewel in the roughMpayne is a jewel in the roughMpayne is a jewel in the roughMpayne is a jewel in the roughMpayne is a jewel in the rough

HI many thanks for replies, after visting Dubai and looking at the contract its not for me, I dont think 32AED is anywhere near enough looking at the rents and for working a 60 hour week. Best of luck .
Rob.
Any idea what the current going rate (UAE) is at present?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 5:18 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mpayne
Any idea what the current going rate (UAE) is at present?
I dunno, but I think someone fed this guy some duff info.
I work as a QS and am on a similar package to what Bob was being offered. Not everyone in construction is site-based, and not everyone works 60 hour-weeks. I work 45 hours over 5 days in an office, with very occassional visits to sites and have a full 2-day weekend. The guys who work 6 1/2 days are the site-based labourers, usually, although there may be supervisory staff on there as well. Bob didn't sound like on of those, especially not on that kind of package.
Ah, well!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Mpayne is a jewel in the roughMpayne is a jewel in the roughMpayne is a jewel in the roughMpayne is a jewel in the roughMpayne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I dunno, but I think someone fed this guy some duff info.
I work as a QS and am on a similar package to what Bob was being offered. Not everyone in construction is site-based, and not everyone works 60 hour-weeks. I work 45 hours over 5 days in an office, with very occassional visits to sites and have a full 2-day weekend. The guys who work 6 1/2 days are the site-based labourers, usually, although there may be supervisory staff on there as well. Bob didn't sound like on of those, especially not on that kind of package.
Ah, well!
Based on what Tortuge posted would that be:-

32k Salary + 2 - 2.5k Car Allowance + 6-8k accomodation = 40 - 42.5k?

Is that beyond the norm there now - boom and all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.