British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   how much cash for quick Doha visit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-much-cash-quick-doha-visit-754626/)

P18PPS Apr 12th 2012 3:41 am

how much cash for quick Doha visit

I am about to make my flying interview visit to Doha and wondered how much cash I will need.

Airport transfers, hotel costs are being covered but if I wanted to get out and about on my own for an afternoon how much cash will i need for taxi's around Doha and maybe a snack early evening or can I use credit cards for most things?

Oyibopeppeh Apr 12th 2012 3:52 am

Re: how much cash for quick Doha visit

500 Riyals, tops

Millhouse Apr 12th 2012 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10001451)
500 Riyals, tops

what about food?

Oyibopeppeh Apr 12th 2012 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10001466)
what about food?

I would have thought that 100 would easily cover a meal at Nando's or Applebee's at the the City Centre Mall. They all accept credit cards there anyway. Taxi from the airport to West Bay is what, 30?

britexpat76 Apr 12th 2012 11:07 am

You flying in and out the same day??

abbey08 Apr 12th 2012 11:25 am

You can use your card for everything - you should not spend more than 100 quid depending on where you eat and if you add on a few beers. This is in the region of 500 Qatari Riyals.

P18PPS Apr 12th 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10001841)
You flying in and out the same day??

No arrive Saturday fly back out Monday.

Beng meet at the Airport by "Al Maha" - some sort of meet and greet service that get me through the airport. Then the hotel's driver is collecting me. Si have two nights in Doha and wanted to have a look around on Saturday afternoon - which should be OK based on some of the other posts on here.

Open to any suggestions though for what to do / where to go.

Oyibopeppeh Apr 12th 2012 7:02 pm

It'll take you about 2 minutes

P18PPS Apr 12th 2012 7:20 pm

i will see everything several times then!

britexpat76 Apr 12th 2012 11:46 pm

That's atleast 1 night out in my book................which hotel have they put you in??

P18PPS Apr 13th 2012 1:16 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10003081)
That's atleast 1 night out in my book................which hotel have they put you in??

The Renaissance, city centre

britexpat76 Apr 13th 2012 8:32 am

A couple of good places to eat in there and a 2 minute taxi to W hotel. You will find plenty to do and spend money on.........

gottheTshirt Apr 13th 2012 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 10003156)
The Renaissance, city centre

a number of bars and restaurants in the hotel complex. The souk (Taxi QR 20) is worth a visit. In the opposite direction the golf club has a decent bar and food (Qr 30 taxi). See the Pearl and Katara "cultural" village the way. Nothing exciting.

Autonomy Apr 13th 2012 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 10004206)
a number of bars and restaurants in the hotel complex. The souk (Taxi QR 20) is worth a visit. In the opposite direction the golf club has a decent bar and food (Qr 30 taxi). See the Pearl and Katara "cultural" village the way. Nothing exciting.

If you go to Katara - get the taxi to wait for you - for god knows what reason there were no cabs picking up at all the twice I went....

Tockalosh Apr 15th 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 10002652)
No arrive Saturday fly back out Monday.

Beng meet at the Airport by "Al Maha" - some sort of meet and greet service that get me through the airport. Then the hotel's driver is collecting me. Si have two nights in Doha and wanted to have a look around on Saturday afternoon - which should be OK based on some of the other posts on here.

Open to any suggestions though for what to do / where to go.

The Al Maha whatsimabob is immediately on the left hand side as you come into the arrivals building. Dont let the Flippers march you into the line for the immigration counters

I would take a walk around the Pearl and grab something to eat there, its actually quite nice if you like huge fancy yachts. No idea on taxi fares but cant be that bad.

There really is **** all to do really which if you have read the other posts on Doha, you will already know