British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How long can my mother stay in the Middle East for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-long-can-my-mother-stay-middle-east-571406/)

Learningtree22 Nov 5th 2008 7:12 pm

How long can my mother stay in the Middle East for?

My husband is in the middle of choosing between two jobs, one in Bahrain and the other in Abu Dhabi. My mother is on her own, and I would like to know how long she is able to stay in the Middle East for, and is there any opportunity of her living with us permanently while we are out there.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Live for now Nov 6th 2008 3:06 am

Re: How long can my mother stay in the Middle East for?

Originally Posted by Learningtree22 (Post 6944009)
My husband is in the middle of choosing between two jobs, one in Bahrain and the other in Abu Dhabi. My mother is on her own, and I would like to know how long she is able to stay in the Middle East for, and is there any opportunity of her living with us permanently while we are out there.

you are one of the 32 or so countries you initially get 30 days on entry then pay for an extension for 30days then do visa runs to Oman, for sometimes 30 days or 60 day extensions (never quite figured why 30 or 60)I have a friend across here who has now been here 7 months, went to Hatta border last week and got a further 60 days extension,

Live for now Nov 6th 2008 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Live for now (Post 6945187)
you are one of the 32 or so countries you initially get 30 days on entry then pay for an extension for 30days then do visa runs to Oman, for sometimes 30 days or 60 day extensions (never quite figured why 30 or 60)I have a friend across here who has now been here 7 months, went to Hatta border last week and got a further 60 days extension,

Soory meant to say not sure if its the same for Bahrain or AD

lionheart Nov 6th 2008 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Live for now (Post 6945187)

That assumes she is British, which is by no means guaranteed given the number of non-Brits frequenting this Forum these days.

Blue Cat Nov 6th 2008 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Learningtree22 (Post 6944009)

you would have to sponsor her, it can be done but alot of paperwork etc.

Live for now Nov 6th 2008 6:14 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6945253)
That assumes she is British, which is by no means guaranteed given the number of non-Brits frequenting this Forum these days.

It doesn't assume she is British could be from any one of the exempt countries

busybee2 Nov 6th 2008 9:33 am

you can sponsor her but its a lot of paperwork, but you need to provide health insurance and also you have to prove that nowhere in your home country can look after her, ie you are the sole care giver etc. you have to sponsor each year and pay a big deposit and also fee per year

lobby lou Nov 7th 2008 9:07 am

u dont have to prove that BB2 .....we looked into it recently and have the ball rolling it is quite an easy processxxxx

Roadking Nov 7th 2008 10:28 am

How long can my mother stay in the Middle East?

Depends what she is in for. DUI; 6 months and a no option ticket out. Causing death by car; anywhere from 6 months to 5 years plus 200'000 Dhs blood money and a no option ticket out. Murder; depends who but figure a slap on the wrist, blood money paid by a local charity and a no option ticket out. Sex on the Beach; same as murder but with out blood money, oh and a no option ticket out and around $250'000 dollars from a member of a reputable(?) media company. :p

Learningtree22 Nov 13th 2008 10:16 am

Originally Posted by lobby lou (Post 6949094)
u dont have to prove that BB2 .....we looked into it recently and have the ball rolling it is quite an easy processxxxx

How do you find out about the process? Do you have to visit the Embassy? or is there an earlier way?

Many Thanks

Fairydust Nov 13th 2008 10:41 am

Maybe find the info. you are looking for here:-

http://www.dnrd.gov.ae/Dnrd/Transact...20Services#C46

Learningtree22 Nov 13th 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6968793)
Maybe find the info. you are looking for here:-

http://www.dnrd.gov.ae/Dnrd/Transact...20Services#C46

Thank you Fairdust. The link has been really helpful.

busybee2 Nov 13th 2008 3:17 pm

immigration should be able to help