Reload this Page >

How to find a school...

How to find a school...

Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:42 am
Just Joined

hestia56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to find a school...

Hello,

I am new on this forum and so far I am starting to be worry with our next move.
My husband will be transferred to dubai in september and we have 2 kids.
My biggest concern is for our 5 years old son. I didnt think that it will be so hard to find a school for him.
We are french but leaving in the UK where he is finishing the reception level. So I definitely need to find a place for him in year 1 (british curriculum) or KG2 (IB).
So far the only school with limited space is in silicon oasis so how long does it take to go there with the traffic jam???
Do you have any idea which school could be still available???

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:51 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find a school...

Originally Posted by hestia56
Hello,

My biggest concern is for our 5 years old son. I didnt think that it will be so hard to find a school for him.
We are french but leaving in the UK where he is finishing the reception level. So I definitely need to find a place for him in year 1 (british curriculum) or KG2 (IB).
So far the only school with limited space is in silicon oasis so how long does it take to go there with the traffic jam???

Thanks for your help!
An idea of where you are commuting from would make it easier to determine how long the commute would be....
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:00 am
Just Joined

My husband will be working at the trade center and in the ideal world, we would like to be around Jumeirah, umm suqeim, springs (looks more affordable as well).
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:21 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what your housing budget is...Jumeira and Umm Sequim are quite expensive areas, Springs is much cheaper but that's cause it's not that nice...

There are villas in Silicon Oasis for rent, so maybe that is an option if you put your child into school there.
Another option is Mirdif...I have to go and look at some villas in Silicon Oasis in the morning, coming from Mirdif so afterwards I will be able to tell you how long it takes to get there.
From Mirdif to Trade Center takes about 20 mins, normally there won't be any traffic jams.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks for your help!
I'll be honest here, the french thing may will be a problem. Is your kid not entitled to a UK passport to try and avoid the problem?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Why will it be a problem??? For the moment he is in a reception class here in london and he is able to follow the group for the reading, writing, counting...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:11 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I'll be honest here, the french thing may will be a problem. Is your kid not entitled to a UK passport to try and avoid the problem?
it won't!

Every school here is multicultural, so it really shouldn't be a problem.

BUT yes, they've basically filled their spots and FS1/ FS2 are like hen's teeth. I have a couple of friends here whose children are due to start this Sept and haven't yet got a place anywhere... and they've been on the waiting lists for a while. The only way is to call every school in your feasible radius, get names down and hope that some people won't take up their spaces (this is actually pretty likely as a lot of parents hedge their bets, accepting one place in the hope of another in a "better" school coming good).

Good luck. It's a nightmare.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

So far, I wrote to more than 20 schools... and almost always the same answer : no more waiting list.

Hello.Kitty your friend will do some homeschooling? Or in general it's possible to find a space at the last minute?
I am starting to think about this idea (homeschooling) as well even if I not really happy about it.
And apparently it's harder to go back to a traditional school after, is it true? Is it easy to find some tutor to do it for me ( I am afraid not to have enough patience).
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:17 pm
Eh?

RDP80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same boat. 2 primary school kids starting in September. I have decided not to bother worrying about it until I am on the ground in Dubai in a few weeks time. I found it really difficult to organise things remotely so cant be bothered now. Result is my wife no longer beats me and I can sleep soundly at night.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:32 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

So far, I wrote to more than 20 schools... and almost always the same answer : no more waiting list.

Hello.Kitty your friend will do some homeschooling? Or in general it's possible to find a space at the last minute?
I am starting to think about this idea (homeschooling) as well even if I not really happy about it.
And apparently it's harder to go back to a traditional school after, is it true? Is it easy to find some tutor to do it for me ( I am afraid not to have enough patience).
Places will become available, because of people hedging bets - some will leave Dubai entirely, others will simple go to their preferred school... BUT you have to be in it to win it and on their stupid lists.

I don't know what the solutions is tbh - either homeschool or change your schooling expectations and consider a less well-known/ reputable school. It's also worth saying that the Usual Suspects - I feel - are "up there" as some of the best through a weird Catch 22 of parents bombarding them with applications -> waiting lists close years in advance -> "they must be good then" - bombarded with more applications.

All I could suggest is to keep at them, prepare plan B and try not to stress too much, because it won't actually help anything.