Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How do I import a car from Dubai?

How do I import a car from Dubai?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

treehead4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I import a car from Dubai?

I am interested in how much import duty is charged and wondering how long it will take to get the car to the uk.

any advice will be appreciated.

cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:48 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do I import a car from Dubai?

Deregister your car and get an exit permit from RTA?

But you have to factor in the costs of importing a car at the other end. Gulf cars are made to Gulf specifications, which aren't the same as UK specifications. I do know that importing a Gulf car to the US is pointless as upgrading the car to meet US emission standards and specifications is so expensive that, when combined with the cost of shipping, it's more expensive than buying a new car.

Last - do you want a car with a different drive than the standard UK car? It'll hurt its resale value down the road.

My advice: sell your car here and buy a new one. I got a very good price on my car and the market seems to be robust, unlike two years ago.

Originally Posted by treehead4
I am interested in how much import duty is charged and wondering how long it will take to get the car to the uk.

any advice will be appreciated.

cheers