Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How difficult is it for a 43 year old Brit. family man to go to Riyadh alone?

How difficult is it for a 43 year old Brit. family man to go to Riyadh alone?

Old May 16th 2016, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How difficult is it for a 43 year old Brit. family man to go to Riyadh alone?

My experience over a long period was that people react very differently to this sort of life. Some cannot stand it and want out ASAP. Others adapt quite well.

Finding it difficult lo live in KSA without your family would not make you a failure. I did it because I needed the income.
Old May 17th 2016, 1:21 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How difficult is it for a 43 year old Brit. family man to go to Riyadh alone?

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
I'm asking because I knew a single guy in Libya (years ago) who went bonkers in 2 years.
I'd be impressed if you lasted a year in KSA without going bonkers.

Some people somehow adapt to it, I'd rather flip burgers in blighty than live there.
Old May 17th 2016, 6:03 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously?!

Living in KSA has got to be one of the most stress free places to live. Very relaxed.

Good lifestyle, good holidays, not much work, a lot of family time.

I listen to what some of you guys in the UAE mention for your working hours etc, and that would drive me bonkers.

The only things that really bother me here are the driving, and lack of cinema.

People are very nice, friendly, and hospitable.

Life here is no different to other places in the world for me. And I don't do anything different here to other places either.
Old May 17th 2016, 6:13 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I'd be impressed if you lasted a year in KSA without going bonkers.

Some people somehow adapt to it, I'd rather flip burgers in blighty than live there.
Has anyone known then of someone who has gone anywhere in Saudi and had a mental breakdown? I think sometimes this happens to people who are prone to mental instability anyway - ie they may be on medication for depression etc before but have to go because there is nothing else available or even think a complete " break" is a good idea.
However, if you want/need to upgrade in London to a larger house in your area - even if you earn a very good salary the tax is such that you will never be able to do it.
Old May 17th 2016, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Seriously?!

Living in KSA has got to be one of the most stress free places to live. Very relaxed.

Good lifestyle, good holidays, not much work, a lot of family time.

I listen to what some of you guys in the UAE mention for your working hours etc, and that would drive me bonkers.

The only things that really bother me here are the driving, and lack of cinema.

People are very nice, friendly, and hospitable.

Life here is no different to other places in the world for me.

And I don't do anything different here to other places either.
I gotta kind of agree...I have never lived in KSA....but a handful of expat friends (all westerners) who do live in KSA say it isn't as bad as most people make it out to be.....they say it all depends on what your expectations are....and if you get in with the 'right' crowd you can have a ball with all the 'underground' parties.
Old May 18th 2016, 5:56 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
I gotta kind of agree...I have never lived in KSA....but a handful of expat friends (all westerners) who do live in KSA say it isn't as bad as most people make it out to be.....they say it all depends on what your expectations are....and if you get in with the 'right' crowd you can have a ball with all the 'underground' parties.
Probably because most people haven't spent any considerable length of time there.

You can have a great time here.

All the things that people don't like about KSA, really don't have any effect on the expat life.
Old May 21st 2016, 9:57 am
Just Joined

comfortablynumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm a newbie in Riyadh.. and I've come over on my own too,my wife and 3 yr old daughter would make occasional visits.

Daily video calls have made it it a little bit easier for us though it looks like a lot of these providers have been barred recently..

I guess it's different for each person/spouse/ family ,but a strong relationship and constant reminders of why one moved here in the first place should help..
Old May 22nd 2016, 7:46 pm
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
All the things that people don't like about KSA, really don't have any effect on the expat life.
Agree with everything, maybe except female driving.
Mine is doing for fun outside city and main highways (while removed abaya and covering blond hairs under baseball cap). And use taxis during my working hours for shopping/coffeeing trips. But the issue that for each even small movement (e.g. to cross some main streets like Malek or Medina roads) they need to catch a taxi.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you live in a good compound (which costs 220k SAR - 350k SAR a year)? Do you enjoy adventure? Are you happy to be away from the family? Would you triple your net salary (or more)? Would the savings be high enough that a few years would make a big difference to your life? If the answer to most of these is yes (especially salary) then it can be a good option for some people.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:18 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
Would you live in a good compound (which costs 220k SAR - 350k SAR a year)? Do you enjoy adventure? Are you happy to be away from the family? Would you triple your net salary (or more)? Would the savings be high enough that a few years would make a big difference to your life? If the answer to most of these is yes (especially salary) then it can be a good option for some people.
Yep. I think for most its about the savings aspect of the salary. Whether your salary increases two, three or more-fold is less important than by how many times your nett savings increase. For some (perhaps many) its an infinite times more, since they'll not be saving anything at all before going (assuming they're not living in some other income-tax-free environment). Once your salary breaks well clear of your necessary costs plus discretionary-but-necessary-for-reasonably-comfortable-living costs, then all the excess is saveable. It's certainly a balm.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

fatimah is an unknown quantity at this point

How was ur stay in Nigeria?
Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:20 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Polish Cabin Crew friend (Blonde, blue eyed pretty girl) who changed from Saudi to Etihad. She is adamant she prefers life in Saudi. So much so her twin sister had the choice of Etihad or Saudi and she moved to Saudi.

I can't comment on a personal note as I have never lived there, or want to.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people cannot handle KSA. Others make the necessary adjustments.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Marvellous Marve is an unknown quantity at this point

I am here without my family. I make video calls everyday and I travel back for a weekend a month. I like Saudi (I used to live in Dubai) and it is a more real place. Of course it has its challenges as it has been the most resistant to change but it is starting to move a bit. I find it a friendly place and there is plenty to do if you are not the kind of person who holes themselves up in their compound! In fact I am currently looking at off-compound accommodation.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
I have a Polish Cabin Crew friend (Blonde, blue eyed pretty girl) who changed from Saudi to Etihad. She is adamant she prefers life in Saudi. So much so her twin sister had the choice of Etihad or Saudi and she moved to Saudi.

I can't comment on a personal note as I have never lived there, or want to.
Saudi's luv that sh*t...she was probably having a wail of a time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.