Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How dangerous are Saudi roads? Statistics!

How dangerous are Saudi roads? Statistics!

Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How dangerous are Saudi roads? Statistics!

I am continually amazed by the bad driving in Saudi. To reassure myself, and being a bit of a stats nerd, I calculated how dangerous (or safe) it actually is on the roads here, and thought others might be interested to see the figures. So here goes:

Your chance of dying or being seriously injured in a traffic accident for each year in Saudi = 0.16% or 1 in 600. This figure can be stated with a high degree of confidence.

Using the relative risk rates of driving small/big cars I estimate that in cars you have about a 1 in 400 chance per year and in large SUVs you have a 1 in 900 chance per year of suffering a serious traffic injury or worse. These figures have a huge margin of error due to the number of unknown variables and assumptions.

In conclusion - on an individual level you should feel fairly safe whatever car you drive (unless you're here for the long haul...as a 1 in 600 per year chance equates to about 1 in 16 chance over four decades), but at a population level this is a significant issue.

Footnotes - if you want to check my calculations, I used the following sources:
Population of Saudi = 28 million (source: google)
Road deaths + serious traffic injuries each year in Saudi = 45,100 (source: http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20130312156489)
Relative safety of cars vs SUVs derived from the figures here (and these figures apply to US drivers so will not be exactly correct for KSA...but they give a ballpark indication: http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4605.pdf

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Jul 19th 2013 at 5:16 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How dangerous are Saudi roads? Statistics!

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
I am continually amazed by the bad driving in Saudi. To reassure myself, and being a bit of a stats nerd, I calculated how dangerous (or safe) it actually is on the roads here, and thought others might be interested to see the figures. So here goes:

Your chance of dying or being seriously injured in a traffic accident for each year in Saudi = 0.16% or 1 in 600. This figure can be stated with a high degree of confidence.

Using the relative risk rates of driving small/big cars I estimate that in cars you have about a 1 in 400 chance per year and in large SUVs you have a 1 in 900 chance per year of suffering a serious traffic injury or worse. These figures have a huge margin of error due to the number of unknown variables and assumptions.

In conclusion - on an individual level you should feel fairly safe whatever car you drive (unless you're here for the long haul...as a 1 in 600 per year chance equates to about 1 in 16 chance over four decades), but at a population level this is a significant issue.

Footnotes - if you want to check my calculations, I used the following sources:
Population of Saudi = 28 million (source: google)
Road deaths + serious traffic injuries each year in Saudi = 45,100 (source: http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20130312156489)
Relative safety of cars vs SUVs derived from the figures here (and these figures apply to US drivers so will not be exactly correct for KSA...but they give a ballpark indication: http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4605.pdf
Saudi's would be dangerous driving in a nail with a club Hammer. They are lethal given access to the automobile, and extremely stupid and arrogant with it, too. The ideal vehicle for facing the ignorant and arrogant Saudi sexist twunts is a Daimler Ferret...
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:07 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

So a 1/600 chance - does that mean that if you drive 599 miles/kilometers etc. you are likely to crash on the 600th?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:46 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
So a 1/600 chance - does that mean that if you drive 599 miles/kilometers etc. you are likely to crash on the 600th?
Your strap line includes "education". Tell me you don't teach
Old Jul 20th 2013, 8:36 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Your strap line includes "education". Tell me you don't teach
Of course I do, I'm a Principle (sic) for GEMS...
Old Jul 20th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst at my previous but one employer in Bahrain we looked at this as everyone including myself was convinced it was far more dangerous to drive in Saudi than the UK

As we had significant operations in Europe, the ME, Asia and Australia we looked at the traffic incident reports from all 3 over the last 3 years and calculated incident and frequency rates

Surprisingly you were more likely to have an RTA in the UK or Australia

You weren't more likely to have a serious RTA in Saudi that resulted in death/disability either

No one was more surprised than my dear self given the daily carnage on the Damman Jubail section of road but no matter how hard we manipulated the figures there was no evidence on any front.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Whilst at my previous but one employer in Bahrain we looked at this as everyone including myself was convinced it was far more dangerous to drive in Saudi than the UK

As we had significant operations in Europe, the ME, Asia and Australia we looked at the traffic incident reports from all 3 over the last 3 years and calculated incident and frequency rates

Surprisingly you were more likely to have an RTA in the UK or Australia

You weren't more likely to have a serious RTA in Saudi that resulted in death/disability either

No one was more surprised than my dear self given the daily carnage on the Damman Jubail section of road but no matter how hard we manipulated the figures there was no evidence on any front.
The relevant Wikipedia page strongly disagrees with you on this point (not sure how reliable it is, of course): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
Old Jul 21st 2013, 4:14 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

No longer RTAs, now Road Traffic Collision (RTC) because they're not usually accidents but crap driving.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

The relevant Wikipedia page strongly disagrees with you on this point (not sure how reliable it is, of course): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
Ja look I was surprised as anyone but we were looking at our company statistics and not that of the general public. It didn't stop us going down the route of compulsory defensive driver training to try and avoid the **** wits but it did put things in perspective

If you work for a MCN ask your fleet guy or safety guy to try the same exercise.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

That's the thing right there. Learn to drive progressively in the understanding that there is crap driving and you lower your chance of an accident.

A basic figure is no good for these sorts of things. What's the rate for expats? Don't include the 18 year olds who think a minimum stopping distance is 3m.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

on top of that you learn when to drive and when not to. anytime between 5-sunset in Ramadan is to be avoided for example.

I've never used my mirrors so much here. I'm going to need to replace them soon. I'm wearing them out!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I witnessed 2 distinct driving styles in the expats

Drive as mad as the locals because you have to

And drive slower than the locals and they will scoot around you.

I generally chose the latter and it worked a treat and was stressfree

Except for when I took my Rangey across the causeway for a blast and when I took the company supercharged Rangey sport for an all out blitz on the Kuwait road. How long does a Rangey sport fuel tank last from full to empty when at full pelt ? 55 minutes lol
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:12 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree with the comments about the shit driving, the stats don't make much sense to me.

Is it as simple as 28,000,000 divided by 45,000 equals 1 in 600? Bearing in mind of course that half the population are not allowed to drive, and another percentage are too young. How about using cars per 1,000 of population? So in Saudi we have 336 per thousand. 9.5 million cars give or take.

9,500,000 making 2 trips per day (just a guess) every day for a year (7 billion trips) divided by the accidents equals one accident per 155,555 trips.

So if you drive back and forth to work once a day it will take 213 years to have a (life threatening) accident.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
While I agree with the comments about the shit driving, the stats don't make much sense to me.

Is it as simple as 28,000,000 divided by 45,000 equals 1 in 600? Bearing in mind of course that half the population are not allowed to drive, and another percentage are too young. How about using cars per 1,000 of population? So in Saudi we have 336 per thousand. 9.5 million cars give or take.

9,500,000 making 2 trips per day (just a guess) every day for a year (7 billion trips) divided by the accidents equals one accident per 155,555 trips.

So if you drive back and forth to work once a day it will take 213 years to have a (life threatening) accident.
Your alternative figure is in the same ballpark as mine - by your calculations, a shade under 0.5% (or slightly less than 1 in 200) of people driving to work and back once a day will be killed or seriously injured each year. The other 99.5% will be fine.

That might not seem too bad, BUT it would mean that if you're here for a decade driving to work and back once a day, you have a roughly 5% chance of being seriously injured or killed in a road traffic accident during that time....quite a scary figure!

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Jul 22nd 2013 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:20 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Your alternative figure is in the same ballpark as mine - by your calculations, a shade under 0.5% (or slightly less than 1 in 200) of people driving to work and back once a day will be killed or seriously injured each year. The other 99.5% will be fine.

That might not seem too bad, BUT it would mean that if you're here for a decade driving to work and back once a day, you have a roughly 5% chance of being seriously injured or killed in a road traffic accident during that time....quite a scary figure!
Its scary if you are determined to frame it that way, you could also look at the other figure and say that if you drive in Saudi for two centuries it is inevitable you will die in a road accident.

Its obviously a lot more dangerous than other countries but a 1 in 155,000 chance every time I drive is reasonably negligible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.