How bad is Doha?

Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

dono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant future
Default Re: How bad is Doha?

You guys are so convincing, so no love whatsoever for Doha and QP. I heard that's a pretty good employer that takes care of its employees with a low turnover rate, and a job security in these changing times, which is not to underestimate
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guuuude

i have so many questions about this xxxxxxx worldchampionship.

Stadiums
heat
traffic
public transport
Accomodation
Airport.

I dont know how many billions has payed as commisions to whomever to give it in the middle of bloody nowhere. I still dont get it!!!!!!!
Arabia is noted for its mirages. All of the above a just a dream, that in all likelyhood are never going to appear. there will be some intense denials about the feasability of Qatar to host the W/C but really? No, it's pissing in the wind. The place has not progresed much since 1973, when its income improved after Yom Kippur, but it it still remains a repressive, backwards place reluctant to move forwards, due to its currently content place in the world.

Last edited by OleJanx; Feb 15th 2012 at 6:14 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Bigfrank28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any of you guys able to help me find work as site/construction/project manager in Dubai or Qatar ?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dono
You guys are so convincing, so no love whatsoever for Doha and QP. I heard that's a pretty good employer that takes care of its employees with a low turnover rate, and a job security in these changing times, which is not to underestimate
Q.P is a very good employer and it has great job security and even better benefits.

Obviously you've read the thread and got a feel of what peoples feeling are like on Qatar but consider Q.P . I have some very close friends who work for them and they wouldn't get the package they get any where else in the world and these guys are very experienced fellas .

The holidays , add ons and benefits are very very good , throw in a good salary and you can make a lot of money .

Yes i do agree Qatar is a pure shithole but you only come to The Gulf for one thing and that's money , come for anything else and you're a fool .When you strip it to the bare bones most of these countries have the same shit attitude and we all get the same outcome at the end of the day as we all walk away at some point , whether it's A.D , Doha or Jeddah .

It's how much you walk away with that's the main driver . The more you get the easier it is in Qatar . A.D is a decent place to live and leaves Qatar standing but it's all the same old shite to me .

You've got to find the balance for your family . Im lucky there's only me and the wife and we've lived extensively over the years round the Gulf so it's just another Arab city.

I'd make exceptions for Muscat and Dubai the rest are much the same .

Last edited by co durham boy; Feb 16th 2012 at 3:33 am.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

dono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant future

Thanks CDB for your input, and yes I understand it's all about money. I'm wondering if the money offered is worth the move (30k, 15k housing, + school and benefits)? It's for a senior position in Corporate Finance where I have more than 10 years experience. IYO, should I ask more? If so, how much? How much can we save? And finally, in case I need to send a counteroffer, do you have any specific format/template used in the region for this purpose? I know that you can't be as direct as in the west in asking for more money, so your advice is appreciated.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:22 pm
Kraut

guuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really nice

I know that you can't be as direct as in the west in asking for more money, so your advice is appreciated.
straight away in the face!! tell them what you want!!!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:37 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

A mate of mine with 10 years contracts experience just got a QP offer of the following monthly salary:-

Basic Salary - 35,000 QAR
Housing - 12,000 QAR
Transport allowance - 2,000 QAR

Which is about 50,000 QAR a month (100k sterling a year) - also include:-

37 days leave a year leave plus 10 public days, 4 flights home a year, bonus of 3 months salary annually, medical, interest free loan of 5 x times basic salary for car, furniture allowance one off payment of 35,000 QAR.

This is not a senior salary package and as you can see they really look after their people - and they will put you in a hotel for the first month all expenses.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Any idea what kind of deals I might get as a construction/ project manager with over 20 years experience?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks CDB for your input, and yes I understand it's all about money. I'm wondering if the money offered is worth the move (30k, 15k housing, + school and benefits)? It's for a senior position in Corporate Finance where I have more than 10 years experience. IYO, should I ask more? If so, how much? How much can we save? And finally, in case I need to send a counteroffer, do you have any specific format/template used in the region for this purpose? I know that you can't be as direct as in the west in asking for more money, so your advice is appreciated.
Go for more mate , if you don't know your own worth they certianly won't . The benefits will be company policy but anything else will be negotiable .

This is your only time for negotiating , once you sign on the dotted line thats it unless you have something to offer that they can't get elsewhere.

Good luck

Last edited by co durham boy; Feb 17th 2012 at 2:11 am.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bigfrank28
Any idea what kind of deals I might get as a construction/ project manager with over 20 years experience?
Anything from a penny to a hundred grand per year , Be more specific mate and i'll try and help you , too many variables/

Specific role / job title ?

Family status ?

Overseas experience ?

expectations ?

location ?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Project manager

Single

No overseas experience

40,000 basic

Qatar

One problem may be having an HND and not a degree?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bigfrank28
Project manager

Single

No overseas experience

40,000 basic

Qatar

One problem may be having an HND and not a degree?
My advice is to get your details to as many recruiters in Qatar and in the region as possible . Obviously you been a single guy will help as married status guys cost a lot of money to employ .

Your overseas experience is a factor as a lot of companies are looking for guys who have a few years under their belt but that all really depends on project/ company . I for one would be reluctant to hire fresh expats at the moment as my project just dictates a lot of Gulf experience but that as i've said is a constraint thats very project specific.

I'm not sure if your basic is 40,000 sterling per year or 40,000QAR per month ? if you've priced in sterling then no problem you'd get that if you want 40,000 QAR per month you've got no chance.

Your degree will not be a problem as the level your working at doesn't really warrant the paper , job roles / descriptions can be changed to suit.

Remember Qatar isn't paved with gold , there will be work but no explosion of big money and astronomical salaries like their was in Dubai a few years ago . There will be money to be made but it's a very very competitive and that includes people and companies.

You'll also be up against different nationalities who will work harder , longer and stay at their desk 24 hrs a day and be as slippery as a Japanese racing snakes . It's not your technical ability to do the job it's also your ability to adapt to a construction environment which resembles a cross between the fall of Rome and an 1800's Lancashire cotton mill .

Get your details too as many people as possible build up contacts , speak to agencies and companies direct , do the shit work and you will get a breakthrough .

Good luck mate
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:51 am
Just Joined

SuzieK will become famous soon enough

Probably wrong thread but on the same page
How bad is doha ? well can i get a visa on arrival ? i will be flying in with qatar and may take a coupla days if i can get a visa before i continue to uk then i,ll have a look around . Workwise i,m a chippy /supervisor , But have been chillin in goa for last 4 months due to crap weather and economy, bout £1 a pint ere and £10 over there ? so i wont be going mad but it would seem a shame to fly past wots gonna be a massive construction site / boom without haveing a look around so VISA? any tips on work would be a great help also , I know what you,all saying bout the place and by crickey it does sound a bit grim
Ps any thing Must Do whilst there (apart from making sure you can get out)
many thanks
Al
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:40 am
Kraut

guuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really nice

PM without middle east experience will be very difficult for Qatar! The market here is a complete nightmare! Dont expect it worls like europe, and if youre not used to this here or asia or wherever you def. will struggle!

To come from europe and move directly to Qatar will be a shock better first uae so you can get used to the level of prof. hahahha but there its still better then here!!

Then the next step down is qatar
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:47 am
Kraut

Originally Posted by SuzieK
Probably wrong thread but on the same page
How bad is doha ? well can i get a visa on arrival ? i will be flying in with qatar and may take a coupla days if i can get a visa before i continue to uk then i,ll have a look around . Workwise i,m a chippy /supervisor , But have been chillin in goa for last 4 months due to crap weather and economy, bout £1 a pint ere and £10 over there ? so i wont be going mad but it would seem a shame to fly past wots gonna be a massive construction site / boom without haveing a look around so VISA? any tips on work would be a great help also , I know what you,all saying bout the place and by crickey it does sound a bit grim
Ps any thing Must Do whilst there (apart from making sure you can get out)
many thanks
Al
If you come to Qatar pm me, may i have something for you, but its a local company under Indian/german managment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.