Housing

Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

lovely_lyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Housing in Dubai

my husband has just been offered a job in Dubai. Company will pay for housing and utilities. Housing to the value of DHS110.000. what sort of place can we expect to get for that.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lovely_lyn; Aug 11th 2005 at 11:08 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:52 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing in Dubai

Originally Posted by lovely_lyn
my husband has just been offered a job in Dubai. Company will pay for housing and utilities. Housing to the value of DHS110.000. what sort of place can we expect to get for that.
Thanks in advance.
Hello Lyn, welcome to the forum.

110K will get you a reasonable 3 bed villa or apartment or a modest 4 bed. If you're prepared toshop around you'll fnd a good spot.

FYI 110K is a good housing allowance for an expat here.

Alternatively it would pay a decent mortgage and u could buy somewhere nice

HAve a look through the FAQs. Some of the prices are out of date as rents are rising at 30% per annum. Get hubby to index link the rent then you'll be laughing. (5% extra on rent for municipality tax...aka community charge or the likes)

Take care
TS
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:06 am
Just Joined

lovely_lyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Housing in Dubai

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Hello Lyn, welcome to the forum.

110K will get you a reasonable 3 bed villa or apartment or a modest 4 bed. If you're prepared toshop around you'll fnd a good spot.

FYI 110K is a good housing allowance for an expat here.

Alternatively it would pay a decent mortgage and u could buy somewhere nice

HAve a look through the FAQs. Some of the prices are out of date as rents are rising at 30% per annum. Get hubby to index link the rent then you'll be laughing. (5% extra on rent for municipality tax...aka community charge or the likes)

Take care
TS

Thank you so much for replying to me, that helps a lot.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:37 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak

Some of the prices are out of date as rents are rising at 30% per annum.
I am curious where you get your info on 30%, seeing that I know nobody here whose rent rose more than 5%.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
I am curious where you get your info on 30%, seeing that I know nobody here whose rent rose more than 5%.
Some of the apartments I looked at in October 2004 were 45k at the time and are now in the mid 60k's. That's >30% -- and that wasn't even a whole year ago. :scared:

On the upside, there are dozens of new buildings going up in the Barsha/Marina area which will flood the market, and likely stabilize it. Or maybe UAE will begin taxing; become unlivable; get deserted. Who's to say?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:32 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5

You dont know that many ppl then
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:55 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5

Lol......... last september our rent was raised from 100k to 120k after only one year. So in October i reserved an apartment at the Marooj at 92K. Then in Jan the rent was raised to 100K (??) when we signed the contract. so if u add these up thats 28k for me in less than a year.

Alot of one bed places were doubled in Sharjah

The Mariners not cheap though..........5% is pretty impressive...does that include service charge.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:56 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
You dont know that many ppl then
No, I must just know savvy people that know how to deal with the typical gung-ho dubai landlord.

My rent is all-inclusive.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 12:56 pm
W10

Default Re: Housing

You also live in a building with low occupancy don't you?

That kind of helps.

Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:01 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

Originally Posted by W10

That kind of helps.
Yes, very low occupancy, but what i'm saying is not all rents are increasing, and frankly, murooj is the worst example as it is the same as having all the villas in jumeirah or the marina owned by one person that could set the rent, the advantage in anywhere but murooj is that you can put competition between landlords, and trust me, demand is way below supply right now, in higher end properties it is still a renters market, believe it or not (for proof, take a look at 'for rent' sections of gulf news for villas and apt's, there are min 3-4 available of each type of apt, villa, etc. available right now).

Oh, another hint, if you really want a certain property, throw a 'wanted ad' in the paper, with the property wanted and max rent. Then you skip through the negotiation period when someone calls to offer.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

That kind of helps.

Yeah - how come it's such low occupancy?
Is it all people investing but not wanting the hassle of tenants or something?
or is it that the place is just sh.ite?

I've never been there BTW.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:30 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

Originally Posted by kelvynd
Yeah - how come it's such low occupancy?
Is it all people investing but not wanting the hassle of tenants or something?
or is it that the place is just sh.ite?

I've never been there BTW.
Emaar sold entire chunks (5-10 floors) the single individual investors. You can tell because in some buildings, there are entire sections of the building with no lights on at night.
Alot of the rest is for rent, there just isn't enough demand, even for 7 completed buildings in the marina. Wait until the other 120 buildings are completed, it will be 1 building for each marina resident.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:38 pm
W10

It also still looks a bit crap with all the building work going on all around it.

Think yourself lucky the occupancy rates will stay low. If they were high, you'd never get through I5 onto the SZR

Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
It also still looks a bit crap with all the building work going on all around it.

Think yourself lucky the occupancy rates will stay low. If they were high, you'd never get through I5 onto the SZR
Well, there aren't too many places in Dubai that aren't a building site at the moment. I5 will get worse before it gets better as the start "improving" it over the next 20 months, but there is the option of Beach Road and you can now get out of the South end of the Marina if you are going to Jebel Ali.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:18 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Well, there aren't too many places in Dubai that aren't a building site at the moment. I5 will get worse before it gets better as the start "improving" it over the next 20 months, but there is the option of Beach Road and you can now get out of the South end of the Marina if you are going to Jebel Ali.
Exactly, i've never waited at I-5 for more than a minute, there are now 3 ways to get directly into the marina, 2 of which are faster than I-5 without traffic. As BR said, there is also the Beach Road option, however I-5 is never backed up coming from the Marina in the morning.