British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   house stuff - help needed please :-) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/house-stuff-help-needed-please-582092/)

sg800 Jan 6th 2009 4:17 am

house stuff - help needed please :-)

Hi guys

I am moving into a new apartment which unlike my current one is not furnished.

I will be buying a second hand washer/dryer and fridge freezer and possibly a cooker to. I am wondering whether:

a)anyone is leaving DXB and has any of the above items for sale at all? They would need to be in good condition and preferably accompanied by original receipts etc...any heads up on this would be great...

b)does anyone know of a "man with a van" that could help me collect these such items once I have sourced them through here or Dubizzle etc??

Also, I am going to be in need of some curtains and blinds - do any of you have any recommendation for a company/person who can come round to the place and sort these out at all?

Many thanks in advance for your help....

Cheers

IndieG Jan 6th 2009 4:22 am

Re: house stuff - help needed please :-)

Post on EW (expatwoman.com) as well. You may get some more responses.

Vimto Jan 6th 2009 10:57 am

Try the notice boards outside Spinneys & Choithrams, they are full of postcards with articles for sale of people leaving.

coffindodger Jan 6th 2009 11:10 am

Also try the gulf news newspaper as well

http://www.gulfnews.com/home/

Blue Cat Jan 6th 2009 11:37 am

Originally Posted by sg800 (Post 7131370)
Hi guys

I am moving into a new apartment which unlike my current one is not furnished.

I will be buying a second hand washer/dryer and fridge freezer and possibly a cooker to. I am wondering whether:

a)anyone is leaving DXB and has any of the above items for sale at all? They would need to be in good condition and preferably accompanied by original receipts etc...any heads up on this would be great...

b)does anyone know of a "man with a van" that could help me collect these such items once I have sourced them through here or Dubizzle etc??

Also, I am going to be in need of some curtains and blinds - do any of you have any recommendation for a company/person who can come round to the place and sort these out at all?

Many thanks in advance for your help....

Cheers

I was looking on EW classifieds, someone on there is selling their entire villa contents and they are in AD.

sg800 Jan 6th 2009 11:46 am

Thanks for responses guys, will try expatwoman for the first time....

Some decent stuff on Dubizzle too to be fair - any more advice on getting this stuff delivered? Has any done this and used a man with a van or something similar? I am sure it wont be too expensive in this country....

Cheers

sg800 Jan 6th 2009 11:53 am

Thanks for responses guys, will try expatwoman for the first time....

Some decent stuff on Dubizzle too to be fair - any more advice on getting this stuff delivered? Has any done this and used a man with a van or something similar? I am sure it wont be too expensive in this country....

Cheers

Vimto Jan 6th 2009 10:13 pm

For a man with a van depends on where you live now and where you are moving to, they are not going to turn up with a whole bunch of boxes and blankets to wrap you stuff up in unless you pay a moving company like Crown.
There are lots of Pakistanis with 1 1/2 ton pick ups strategically parked around the down town area you can hire by the hour.

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 3:16 am

Honey i may well be selling everything in my - will know by the end of next week!! everything and i mean everything is no older than 4 months - perfect condition!

PM if you can wait until then.

sg800 Jan 7th 2009 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 7134404)
For a man with a van depends on where you live now and where you are moving to, they are not going to turn up with a whole bunch of boxes and blankets to wrap you stuff up in unless you pay a moving company like Crown.
There are lots of Pakistanis with 1 1/2 ton pick ups strategically parked around the down town area you can hire by the hour.

Thanks Vimto, no need for a removal company, just a van to put a washing machine into or such like. Where do you mean when you refer to the down town area? thanks

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sg800 (Post 7136028)
Thanks Vimto, no need for a removal company, just a van to put a washing machine into or such like. Where do you mean when you refer to the down town area? thanks

nah you dont need a van just a MASSIVE 4x4!