Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

house stuff - help needed please :-)

house stuff - help needed please :-)

Old Jan 6th 2009, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough
Default house stuff - help needed please :-)

Hi guys

I am moving into a new apartment which unlike my current one is not furnished.

I will be buying a second hand washer/dryer and fridge freezer and possibly a cooker to. I am wondering whether:

a)anyone is leaving DXB and has any of the above items for sale at all? They would need to be in good condition and preferably accompanied by original receipts etc...any heads up on this would be great...

b)does anyone know of a "man with a van" that could help me collect these such items once I have sourced them through here or Dubizzle etc??

Also, I am going to be in need of some curtains and blinds - do any of you have any recommendation for a company/person who can come round to the place and sort these out at all?

Many thanks in advance for your help....

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house stuff - help needed please :-)

Post on EW (expatwoman.com) as well. You may get some more responses.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Try the notice boards outside Spinneys & Choithrams, they are full of postcards with articles for sale of people leaving.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Also try the gulf news newspaper as well

http://www.gulfnews.com/home/
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sg800
Hi guys

I am moving into a new apartment which unlike my current one is not furnished.

I will be buying a second hand washer/dryer and fridge freezer and possibly a cooker to. I am wondering whether:

a)anyone is leaving DXB and has any of the above items for sale at all? They would need to be in good condition and preferably accompanied by original receipts etc...any heads up on this would be great...

b)does anyone know of a "man with a van" that could help me collect these such items once I have sourced them through here or Dubizzle etc??

Also, I am going to be in need of some curtains and blinds - do any of you have any recommendation for a company/person who can come round to the place and sort these out at all?

Many thanks in advance for your help....

Cheers

I was looking on EW classifieds, someone on there is selling their entire villa contents and they are in AD.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for responses guys, will try expatwoman for the first time....

Some decent stuff on Dubizzle too to be fair - any more advice on getting this stuff delivered? Has any done this and used a man with a van or something similar? I am sure it wont be too expensive in this country....

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for responses guys, will try expatwoman for the first time....

Some decent stuff on Dubizzle too to be fair - any more advice on getting this stuff delivered? Has any done this and used a man with a van or something similar? I am sure it wont be too expensive in this country....

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

For a man with a van depends on where you live now and where you are moving to, they are not going to turn up with a whole bunch of boxes and blankets to wrap you stuff up in unless you pay a moving company like Crown.
There are lots of Pakistanis with 1 1/2 ton pick ups strategically parked around the down town area you can hire by the hour.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Honey i may well be selling everything in my - will know by the end of next week!! everything and i mean everything is no older than 4 months - perfect condition!

PM if you can wait until then.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vimto
For a man with a van depends on where you live now and where you are moving to, they are not going to turn up with a whole bunch of boxes and blankets to wrap you stuff up in unless you pay a moving company like Crown.
There are lots of Pakistanis with 1 1/2 ton pick ups strategically parked around the down town area you can hire by the hour.
Thanks Vimto, no need for a removal company, just a van to put a washing machine into or such like. Where do you mean when you refer to the down town area? thanks
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sg800
Thanks Vimto, no need for a removal company, just a van to put a washing machine into or such like. Where do you mean when you refer to the down town area? thanks
nah you dont need a van just a MASSIVE 4x4!