Wikiposts

House Prices

Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

ceres is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House Prices

So we are still toying with buying a villa.
Do you think the recent activity in the market is a 'dead cats bounce' and prices will continue to fall next year, by up to 30% as indicated by some. Or has it hit the bottom and starting to level out? Any insight much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: House Prices

Sorry new to BE, what does it mean when it say's moved next to my thread. Moved where?

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

It's been moved here.................

On a wider scale, I am astonished at the optimism now flooding back into the global economy. “Green shoots”? We should already be seeing fully grown forests, if some of the respected economic analysts and commentators are to be believed.

Dubai is different though in one important respect – it was always built on the assumption that ‘if you think it’s good today, it will be even better tomorrow’, and it always relied on its ability to attract external capital investment.

But the world is a changed place, and many have had their fingers badly burned in Dubai and will not wish to get involved again.

I would look at property purchase from a purely practical point of view: if you are likely to be staying in Dubai for many years (difficult to predict that these days, I know), then buying is a reasonable alternative to throwing money down the drain (i.e. renting). If I were only planning a short-term stay there (say, no more than three years), I would rather be struck by lightning than buy a place.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
It's been moved here.................

On a wider scale, I am astonished at the optimism now flooding back into the global economy. “Green shoots”? We should already be seeing fully grown forests, if some of the respected economic analysts and commentators are to be believed.

Dubai is different though in one important respect – it was always built on the assumption that ‘if you think it’s good today, it will be even better tomorrow’, and it always relied on its ability to attract external capital investment.

But the world is a changed place, and many have had their fingers badly burned in Dubai and will not wish to get involved again.

I would look at property purchase from a purely practical point of view: if you are likely to be staying in Dubai for many years (difficult to predict that these days, I know), then buying is a reasonable alternative to throwing money down the drain (i.e. renting). If I were only planning a short-term stay there (say, no more than three years), I would rather be struck by lightning than buy a place.

Thanks for the input. Yes we are here long term and like you have said the prospect of bending over while landlord stuffs it up us is most unappealing.LOL

The whispers I have heard, is that Dubai government has given money to a group of wealthy AD business men, to snap up their glorified mud huts, then put them back on the market at inflated prices, in the hope that investors will return, cheque books in hand. Not according to the agents mind you, but then again, If they told me the sun was shinning, I would still go and check....born bull-shitters, the lot of them!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ceres
Thanks for the input. Yes we are here long term and like you have said the prospect of bending over while landlord stuffs it up us is most unappealing.LOL

The whispers I have heard, is that Dubai government has given money to a group of wealthy AD business men, to snap up their glorified mud huts, then put them back on the market at inflated prices, in the hope that investors will return, cheque books in hand. Not according to the agents mind you, but then again, If they told me the sun was shinning, I would still go and check....born bull-shitters, the lot of them!
The Dubai Government has given them money?

The Dubai Government hasn't any money, which is why Ab Dab is not so subtly bailing Dubai out behind the scenes. Look at the wafer-thin attempts by Dubai to convince the international capital markets that bonds maturing in the next year or two will be redeemed in full.............

Last edited by The Dean; Aug 21st 2009 at 5:45 pm. Reason: o
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ceres
So we are still toying with buying a villa.
Do you think the recent activity in the market is a 'dead cats bounce' and prices will continue to fall next year, by up to 30% as indicated by some. Or has it hit the bottom and starting to level out? Any insight much appreciated.
Thanks
It depends on why you are buying.
If it's for an investment, you need to ask yourself some questions.

JP Morgan reported 30,000+ units are about to enter the Dubai market. It's safe to assume that a big chunk of that will be rental stock. What kind of impact do you think that will have on the rental market? And the resale market? Will 2010 see growth in local tourism, trade & shipping revenues? If not, what effect will this have on your property value? Will Dubai see a second wave of expat settlers in 2010? Will Dubai introduce tax?

I love Dubai, and I believe it has the required ingredients for recovery - but the big question is when will it happen!

Why not wait for some positive signs before jumping into the market?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
The Dubai Government has given them money?

The Dubai Government hasn't any money, which is why Ab Dab is not so subtly bailing Dubai out behind the scenes. Look at the wafer-thin attempts by Dubai to convince the international capital markets that bonds maturing in the next year or two will be redeemed in full.............
As I said it was whispers, so perhaps I picked it up wrong. I was aware that AD was bailing Dubai out.......

Who knows what is really going on. Tiz a cover up on a grand scale me's thinks
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

FYI - some links that might be useful - I'd take the advice of sitting tight just now, rent for a year - and possibly look next year if said 'green shoots' start to grow.

http://www.economist.com/businessfin...ry_id=13186145

http://www.propertycommunity.com/property-in-dubai.html
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Oh - and also - a quick rule of thumb I go along with is that if the banks are holding off investing still and waiting to see what happens - joe public should follow suit.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your take on things.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/for...howtopic=33755
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:27 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

That's not really a very good thread. Not much depth in there at all. (And I speak as someone who posted to it...)

It's a shame that thread on here was "allowed" to die. T'was very interesting.