Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Muscat?

Which hotel in Muscat?

Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which hotel in Muscat?

I am planning to take my wife away for a couple of nights to Muscat. The two hotels of choice are The Chedi and the Al Husn at the Shangri-La.

We have stayed at the Chedi before and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have equally good deals including flights, transfers etc. from Dubai to Muscat but I would really appreciate any advice on how the Al Husn compares to The Chedi.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:10 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which hotel in Muscat?

Personally would go for Al Husn. (Couldn't stand the Chedi when we went a couple of years' ago and their beach is a joke.) The beaches at the SL are in a different class and there's a far greater range of restaurants.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:13 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2
I am planning to take my wife away for a couple of nights to Muscat. The two hotels of choice are The Chedi and the Al Husn at the Shangri-La.

We have stayed at the Chedi before and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have equally good deals including flights, transfers etc. from Dubai to Muscat but I would really appreciate any advice on how the Al Husn compares to The Chedi.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Al Bustan or Al Husn would be my choice.

Al Bandar is very nice as well, and not as snooty as Al Husn.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

First visit we stayed at Crowne Plaza that was very nice (great location)...but bunked in to the Shangri La where my folks were staying for the day. It is indeed a class hotel.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I like the crown plaza as well and is my choice when I take the mrs for a quick break but I like being close to old Muscat
If being out of town to relax is the ultimate aim then ShangriLa probably tops it for me

anything appears to be good besides the Golden Tulip in Seeb which is without a doubt the worst hotel in the Middle East
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your advice, looks like it will be the Al Husn!

If anyone is looking for some great getaway deals try contacting PrimeTravel on
Prime Travel and Tourism LLC
Arabian Ranches Village Community Center,Shop B8
Tel: +971 4 3618120 | Fax: +971 4 3618121 |
E-mail: [email protected]|
Head Office: Office #2501, Palace Towers,Silicon Oasis,Dubai| Tel: +971 4 326 2266 Post Box No: 42252 | Dubai, United Arab Emirates |
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:00 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto other posts - Crowne Plaza does it for us, too. That's where we normally stay when we visit MCT but have treated ourselves a couple of times - once to the Chedi (would have left at 3am to drive home to Dubai if it wasn't for the fact that the purpose of the visit was to meet up with sis and bil when they were visiting from the UK for their for their 25th anniversary) and once to Al Husn which we thoroughly enjoyed for 2 nights (for another significant occasion).

For a treat we'd say Al Husn (and this isn't being snooty lol - it is a treat) but if you're planning on being out and about then the CP offers comfortable beds, a range of dining options (from the ubiquitous buffet to Persian to Italian to the "British" pub), it's a 5 minute drive from Mumtaz Mahal (Indian - but top end price wise) and Left Bank underneath Mumtaz. And only a 10 - 15 minute drive from Woodlands in Ruwi (depending on traffic and the occasional accident ... on our last visit a month ago caused by a DXB registered vehicle ) Our favourite curry place (so far) in MCT and not in an hotel but still licenced: a drink each (G&T) before our meal, munching peppery poppadoms and sauce, which was 3 curries, one plain rice, one dish of garlic nan, carafe of house red wine (very drinkable), drink each after the meal - cost including tax and tip? OMR23 ie aed230.

Alternatively in MSQ there's Khargeen (not licenced) where you can get virtually everything - sandwiches, pizza, lebanese mezze/bbq. Probably best for the cooler months as eating outside there is a treat. Would say it's a bit too warm to be outside now as it was just about bearable 4 weeks' ago. (Again about 15 mins from the CP.)

One tip - generally speaking taxis aren't metered so make sure that you negotiate the price of your ride. Most hotels have taxis which ply for trade from that specific hotel so make sure the concierge is a friend (in plain speak tip him well - he may well have part ownership in a couple of the taxis) and ask him (he'll probably be Omani - this has worked well for us and has saved us a lot of money!) how much the ride should cost. And try and get your taxi driver's number before you leave - it's not that easy to get a taxi on the street, unlike Dubai ... most drivers will ask if you'd like to be picked up later and will either give you their card or write their number on a piece of paper. Take it and use it!

Hope you have fun!