Hobbies in Riyadh or Taif

Hobbies in Riyadh or Taif

Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:52 pm
Pmx
Just Joined

Pmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hobbies in Riyadh or Taif

Hey guys,

Sorry if similar threads have been answered a million times over, i had a quick scan with the search function.

I am considering a move with BAE to either Riyadh or Taif. I am hoping to take in the culture and lifestyle and during the time off to travel to other countries.

My main hobbies in the UK are motocross and Downhill Mountain Biking. Does anyone know the situation of these sports in these areas. I would like to do some dune motocross riding etc. Are there any clubs, or do you know if there are people on the compounds into similar activities?
Im not sure im willing to go out there and give up my passions?

Thanks for any replies.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:15 pm
Pmx
Just Joined

Pmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hobbies in Riyadh or Taif

Bump, anybody any info on these for me?

Any other good websites i can look at for living abroad.

Cheers
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:22 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

There is motox scene in Dubai, I have seen car stickers with "sandyhelmets" motox not sure if its a club or anything though.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get the choice I would say plum for Riyadh.

I know a few people who work for BAE in Taif and they dont mind it, but personally I would go for Riyadh, if for no other reason than you can fly from here direct to placed for the weekend, Taif is a 2hr drive to Jeddah airport before you can fly anywhere!!!

Plenty of opportunity to go out on bikes into the desert in both places ..... more hills in Taif!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

If you like the outdoors Taif would be better, all other things being equal. Riyadh has a good climate but it is big and busy. I am into biking (not off road) and Riyadh is a dangerous place. Based on what you said Taif would get my tick.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pmx
Hey guys,

Sorry if similar threads have been answered a million times over, i had a quick scan with the search function.

I am considering a move with BAE to either Riyadh or Taif. I am hoping to take in the culture and lifestyle and during the time off to travel to other countries.

My main hobbies in the UK are motocross and Downhill Mountain Biking. Does anyone know the situation of these sports in these areas. I would like to do some dune motocross riding etc. Are there any clubs, or do you know if there are people on the compounds into similar activities?
Im not sure im willing to go out there and give up my passions?

Thanks for any replies.
former Mx and enduro rider here up til I arrived in Riyadh , let me tell you there is not much like that in Riyadh. You can hire quads and that kind of stuff and blast about the desert but its aimed at novices really not exactly thrilling stuff.
there is one track in Riyadh part of Reem raceway (1.5 hours from the city) its like supercross style track, but narrow and the jumps are badly set up.

not much in the way of bikes in Riyadh, a few shops with the odd off road bike. I have seen a few yz-fs and rms in the shops but parts are slow to arrive etc for them.

sorry for the negativity but I was frustrated myself here not to be able to ride so if you have choices , avoid Riyadh (biking wise)
Old Oct 16th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

I lived and worked in Taif for 3years, and not a British waste a space person either.
Taif is better than Riyadh for the Temp and a lot of things, ie:- the Mountains since it is 5k up from sea level.
Plenty of spaces off road to explore and get lost ha ha.
Just be carefull of the local bedis they can be a little unfriendly at time and make take a pot shot or two at you.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Have to agree. Business Opportunity for you. Start a good track with some partners and I think you will do well. At least space is not a premium. In that case, Riyadh would be better and it has a big population of bored people of all nationality. You need a tar oval for drifting, something for Autocross, Drag Strip, MX, SX and if there is enough room about a 20km Enduro Circuit. Do a good business plan and you will find plenty of get-rich-quick partners...
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

And maybe a small carting circuit